[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers Fans

Menudo

So far, so good. They have been very fun to watch. I'd never take anything from Bill Cowher, as his record with the Steelers speaks for itself. He had a "You know what were going to do, try to stop it" style. He was unbelievably stubborn as well, and wouldn't change things up much. This led to successful football, but, was sometimes frustrating as a fan. Mike Tomlin gives teams a lot more to think about. All reports are that he is less controlling, which by itself has made the Steelers a tougher team to prepare for. Bruce Arians offense comes out in several different looks. On 1st down, you could see 4 wides, 3 tight ends, or any other combination. On defense, it has been stated that Tomlin doesn't hold Dick LeBeau back, which has led to all of the innovative types of blitzing schemes that the Steelers have shown in the first 3 weeks. They are getting much more pressure on the QB this year, as compared to last year. Tomlin's slowly implementing some cover 2 into our coverages, and I think our coverage has improved a great deal. Ike Taylor is becoming the kind of player that we all knew he could be.

All of this said, they haven't really beaten anybody yet. The 49'ers are definitely better than the Browns & Bills, but, their offense has struggled, despite the 2-0 start. I'm certainly excited about the start, but, don't want to go overboard with it, until we get into the tougher competition, which is coming. After the bye in Week 6, our schedule gets a LOT tougher.

So far though, not much to complain about. The pass protection hasn't been great, but, Ben has bailed them out with his ability to break tackles and move out of the pocket. Ben is playing with a lot of confidence. Unlike in years past, the offense is putting a lot more responsibility on him. It hasn't shown in the yardage stats yet, because they've been playing with big leads, but, he has played exceptionally well. I love that they are finally using the weapon that is Heath Miller. Santonio helps spread out the defense, leaving gaps in the middle of the field, and they have to continue to use Heath.

Willie Parker has gone from being a very good back to being a great back. He is taking what defenses give him, and continues to get better and better. I'd still like to see him used more in the passing game, but, that might start coming when the games get closer. The run blocking has been terrific. Marvel Smith & Alan Faneca are doing their usual great jobs, but, I've been pleasantly surprised with the jobs being done by Mahan, Simmons, and Colon as well.

It's early, we haven't gotten to the tough part of our schedule yet, but, I'm pretty pleased with the way we are beating the teams that we are supposed to beat, which isn't always an easy thing to do in the NFL.

I just wish we were in the NFC.

I see it as

Pats #1

Indy #2

Steelers #3

Moss has turned Brady into a monster and I am looking for weaknesses without finding one. They torn up Buff even worse then we did.

Overall I am happy and thought from the beginning we would be in the playoffs, but now I want more and can not wait until the middle of the schedule to see who we really are.

They said they would be throwing down field at least 5 times per game and my guess is that Holmes would be three of these, but in all honest they have not been challanged and have no need to do so right now. It may be a while until we see exactly how much they will use Holmes, but as for now as stated above he is opening up the field for Heath which is nice to see. I have him in 50% of my leagues so I hope they find him soon, but I doubt I will know until about week 7 or so.

While I think the Steelers are top 5 in the AFC right now, to be honest they really haven't played anyone good yet. SF was the best they've faced and they are a .500 team or a little better.

I'm glad that the Colts aren't playing the Steelers during the regular season and hope that somebody else knocks them off for us in the playoffs. LeBeau made a mockery of our pass protection in the last meeting.

correction. It was a traveshamockery.

Long time (big time) Steeler fan...I was excited about this season before it started. Tomlin is just the shot in the arm this team needs - as is Arians offense. last year Cowher (pbuh) - I love the guy - Steelr coach forever if he wanted to be IMO - but last year he was cruising. He let Big Ben call the shots (regarding himself) and he should have played batch at least up unitl the bye. He wasn't motivated to make the 2nd half adjustaments or get into player's faces so that they cared - he was having too good a time just basking in the Super Bowl win the previous year. And the Steelers didn't play with fire because of Cowher IMO. Of course it didn't help that Palamaulo was injured and the secondary was suspect and the O-line had its issues. This year everything is different - and it starts with the coach who is motivated to win and who will push the players - big time! And I hope to never see another 3rd and 2 in the shotgun - enough said. I was upset at the drafting of Homes last year over Lendale White - but Parker has proven me wrong (and Davenport I think has the brawn to fill the gap and punish when necessary - at least I'm hoping)...and my am I glad for a speedster with the moves of Holmes out there running paterns...still hoping Cedrick Wilson steps us as he could as well...and Nate Washington is doing his part quite well I think. Really good to see (our excellent) tight ends put to use as well....(said shedding a tear thinking of Green in the near glory days of the mid/late 90s) Steelers rock! We'll see - but I almost don't think the opposing defense will matter all that much (up to a point of course). The Steelers should be able to execute on anyone. Arizona on the road will be the first real trest IMO - and they will not be a pushover - but I'm certain that the Steelers will prevail...then Seattle comes to town...you know what that means boys? yup - Steelers 5-0 going into the bye - then it on to Denver (can you say 200 & 2-3 scores for FWP? I can certainly see it), then its hello (weaksauce) Cinncinati...a game I can't wait for to see Pitt put on the big time hurt - then the Ravens come into town for a Monday night game - another chance at redemption...and really now...the Ravens can't hope to stay with this year's Steelers - I just don't see it - not at home and not on Monday night (the spirit of Jerome will be with them on this night)...thats 8-0 guys...and I don't see it at all a stretch (though of course anything can happen)...and then the Browns and the jets follow...with Miami comming into town for another Monday night (thank you NFL scheduling gods!)...so you do the math...then Cinci is back for a Sunday night game (still salivating for this matchup - big time)...and then of course we travel to New England...yeah they are the class of the NFL this year...but will Moss even be healthy & playing by then? ...and frankly I think their D is overacheiving...and if they don't get outpshyed by the Belechik mystique (and does anyone thing tough guy Tomlin will? I certainly don't) - I give Pitt a good chance to win this game...the secondary will have to step up and the pass ruch will nedd to rattle brady - but I think its entirely concievable that Pitt will have a more dynamic passing attack and a much better ability to stop the run...so we'll see I guess - but I'm looking foreward to this matchup. Prior to the year I felt Pitt (with their schedule) was comfortably a 12-4 team...but frankly at this rate (and yes I know that the teams they have faced haven't been the best...but still) - I have a hard time seeing them losing more then 3 games this year. (Jacksonville...whose O-line seems to manhandle Pitts D. N England...OK its in Foxbourough so I'll count it as a loss...and Baltimore at home in the last game....but otherwise...St Loius? Cincinatti? Seattle? etc Does anyone really think Pitt can't handle any of these teams? Anyway enough for now - but that felt real good to get off my chest. Go Stillers!

Long time (big time) Steeler fan...I was excited about this season before it started. Tomlin is just the shot in the arm this team needs - as is Arians offense. last year Cowher (pbuh) - I love the guy - Steelr coach forever if he wanted to be IMO - but last year he was cruising. He let Big Ben call the shots (regarding himself) and he should have played batch at least up unitl the bye. He wasn't motivated to make the 2nd half adjustaments or get into player's faces so that they cared - he was having too good a time just basking in the Super Bowl win the previous year. And the Steelers didn't play with fire because of Cowher IMO. Of course it didn't help that Palamaulo was injured and the secondary was suspect and the O-line had its issues. This year everything is different - and it starts with the coach who is motivated to win and who will push the players - big time! And I hope to never see another 3rd and 2 in the shotgun - enough said. I was upset at the drafting of Homes last year over Lendale White - but Parker has proven me wrong (and Davenport I think has the brawn to fill the gap and punish when necessary - at least I'm hoping)...and my am I glad for a speedster with the moves of Holmes out there running paterns...still hoping Cedrick Wilson steps us as he could as well...and Nate Washington is doing his part quite well I think. Really good to see (our excellent) tight ends put to use as well....(said shedding a tear thinking of Green in the near glory days of the mid/late 90s) Steelers rock! We'll see - but I almost don't think the opposing defense will matter all that much (up to a point of course). The Steelers should be able to execute on anyone. Arizona on the road will be the first real trest IMO - and they will not be a pushover - but I'm certain that the Steelers will prevail...then Seattle comes to town...you know what that means boys? yup - Steelers 5-0 going into the bye - then it on to Denver (can you say 200 & 2-3 scores for FWP? I can certainly see it), then its hello (weaksauce) Cinncinati...a game I can't wait for to see Pitt put on the big time hurt - then the Ravens come into town for a Monday night game - another chance at redemption...and really now...the Ravens can't hope to stay with this year's Steelers - I just don't see it - not at home and not on Monday night (the spirit of Jerome will be with them on this night)...thats 8-0 guys...and I don't see it at all a stretch (though of course anything can happen)...and then the Browns and the jets follow...with Miami comming into town for another Monday night (thank you NFL scheduling gods!)...so you do the math...then Cinci is back for a Sunday night game (still salivating for this matchup - big time)...and then of course we travel to New England...yeah they are the class of the NFL this year...but will Moss even be healthy & playing by then? ...and frankly I think their D is overacheiving...and if they don't get outpshyed by the Belechik mystique (and does anyone thing tough guy Tomlin will? I certainly don't) - I give Pitt a good chance to win this game...the secondary will have to step up and the pass ruch will nedd to rattle brady - but I think its entirely concievable that Pitt will have a more dynamic passing attack and a much better ability to stop the run...so we'll see I guess - but I'm looking foreward to this matchup. Prior to the year I felt Pitt (with their schedule) was comfortably a 12-4 team...but frankly at this rate (and yes I know that the teams they have faced haven't been the best...but still) - I have a hard time seeing them losing more then 3 games this year. (Jacksonville...whose O-line seems to manhandle Pitts D. N England...OK its in Foxbourough so I'll count it as a loss...and Baltimore at home in the last game....but otherwise...St Loius? Cincinatti? Seattle? etc Does anyone really think Pitt can't handle any of these teams? Anyway enough for now - but that felt real good to get off my chest. Go Stillers!

wall of text.

Wow, you are a much more optimistic homer than I am. :D

as long as ben plays well the team will do very good. they are fielding for the most part the same, if not better defense, that they did in 2004 and 2005 when they went 15-1 and won a super bowl. if ben can keep the offense on the field and limit the 3rd and outs, the defense should be well rested and come out firing. this was a huge problem last year. the defense was actually really good last season and was the only thing that kept us in some games, but our offense was just all over the place.

as for tomlin.. he seems to have this thing about him where you just know he is a winner. you just dont expect the guy to be unprepared or lose. he just has this calm and confident manner about him where he just knows how to get the job done well. i loved cowher, but maybe it was just time for a change. so far the offensive and defensive playbooks have been opened up and the coordinators have a newfound freedom that they never had before. time will tell how far we can go.

I was never a big Cowher fan. I loved the passion and mug that he brought to the game. I just thought he made a lot of bad decisions and letting Roth start so soon last year was the final straw. He lost his focus and in time we will see what Tomlin is made of. They need a good test for this though.

Wow, you are a much more optimistic homer than I am. :D

Yes menundo - I've followed you and this forum for quite a few years now and I must say how shocked I was to see you ranked them behind Cinci (was it?) in the division this year. That alone almost got me up off my butt to join this forum. I was going to tell you what a pessimist you were - how you failed to truly see the light....lol. I have felt that that Cinci was weak defensively and Rudi has taken a great deal of punishment in his few years in the leugue. I also felt that both their schedule and Balto's were much tougher this year then last - while Pitt seems to have really gotten off light. (and this was before Denver showed its true weakness - a surprise for me) and Settle still does not seem to be firing on all cylinders (still much better to play at Heinz!)...and the Jets, Miami, etc etc...this could be another incredible Steeler year (like 04 - 15-1...and I called that one with witnesses too...truly the greatest regular Pitt season I've ever lived through)...anyway I see the same for this year. Obviously no game is a given and teams can have off nights or just play poorly - but I think the cards are aligned pretty well for Pitt to cruise this year - lets hope they can stay healthy and keep the momentum. And Baltimore - while always a threat to jell together and play truly tough and punishing D - well their offense is just atrocious...could anyone really be comfortable with the prospect of Boller being the likley QB for the rest of the season? Sure OK -McNair is a man among men...but he's just not an elite QB anymore, far far from it...and MGhehee...was I the only Pitt fan aplauding this pickup? lol

Edited by Winoman

Yes menundo - I've followed you and this forum for quite a few years now and I must say how shocked I was to see you ranked them behind Cinci (was it?) in the division this year. That alone almost got me up off my butt to join this forum. I was going to tell you what a pessimist you were - how you failed to truly see the light....lol. I have felt that that Cinci was weak defensively and Rudi has taken a great deal of punishment in his few years in the leugue. I also felt that both their schedule and Balto's were much tougher this year then last - while Pitt seems to have really gotten off light. (and this was before Denver showed its true weakness - a surprise for me) and Settle still does not seem to be firing on all cylinders (still much better to play at Heinz!)...and the Jets, Miami, etc etc...this could be another incredible Steeler year (like 04 - 15-1...and I called that one with witnesses too...truly the greatest regular Pitt season I've ever lived through)...anyway I see the same for this year. Obviously no game is a given and teams can have off nights or just play poorly - but I think the cards are aligned pretty well for Pitt to cruise this year - lets hope they can stay healthy and keep the momentum. And Baltimore - while always a threat to jell together and play truly tough and punishing D - well their offense is just atrocious...could anyone really be able with the prospect of Boller being the likley QB for the rest of the season? Sure OK -McNair is a men among men...but he's just not an elite QB anymore, far far from it...and MGhehee...was I the only Pitt fan aplauding this pickup? lol

Nah, I picked us to be tied with Baltimore at 10-6, but, I had Baltimore winning the division on a tie-breaker.

I don't feel that way anymore. I think the Steelers win this division. I'm not quite as optimistic as you, yet, but, I'm getting there. :D

Optimistic, yes but not ready to start thumping my chest. I have seen some things that have gotten me really excited about the direction this team is headed. Ben is looking much better or should I say pre motorcycle accident. Willie is a stud that I sure hope starts catching some balls. I just can’t see how they could not see how huge a weapon that could be. The defense looks hungry and seems to be clicking. I really have not seen a weakness that is bothering me so far.

I am just going to keep the fingers and toes crossed but I’m not starting any playoff talk until at least week 8.