[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

C Taylor's value going forward?

BeeR

I have some lint that may have an equal value!!!! Deal?

This early workload for Peterson only increases the possibility he will hit the rookie wall, and Taylor will be asked to take on a larger role. Immedaite value? Not much. Long term value? Very compelling.

odd title for a thread...

with the emergence of AP, i see Taylor's value going backward, not forward :D

Just guessing here but I'm pretty sure he meant forward as in Taylors value as the season continues...

I'd say Taylor had his shot with Childress last year and now could easily become a 3rd down/change of pace back again.

I was offered AP for Reggie Bush and don't really know what to do...I need a solid RB and Bush hasn't been it yet.

ps I'd still like to know if Hughs sig line means he's getting faster or if people are just in a bigger hurry to leave Jersey than NYC. :D

Edited by Qball86

Just guessing here but I'm pretty sure he meant forward as in Taylors value as the season continues...

...sorry, my poor attempt at humor...

and I'd keep Bush a week or two, and see how the NO RB scenario plays out for him....losing Deuce should at least mean a handful of more touches for him, be it rushing or short passes.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1448559.html

Team will start Taylor when back is fit again

By Kevin Seifert And Mark Craig, Star Tribune

Last update: September 26, 2007 – 9:15 PM

"Chester is the starter and he'll come back and start," Childress said. "It's not going to be any different than I originally intended. But you know the best-laid plans sometimes go awry."

Childress opened the season planning a rotation with Taylor starting and Peterson slowly working into the lineup. Taylor's injury accelerated that timetable, but Peterson's emergence as the team's top offensive playmaker will not render Taylor irrelevant.

The Vikings officially termed Taylor's practice time to be "limited" Wednesday, but indications have been that he will be ready to play Sunday against Green Bay. The same is true for fullback Tony Richardson (forearm), who participated fully in practice Wednesday.

I heard that this morning too (that Chester Taylor will get the start if healthy enough). My take on this is that Childress is trying to keep Taylor interested and happy. Calling him the starter will do wonders for Taylor's morale, but it doesn't necessarily translate into getting the most number of carries/touches in the game.

Then again, Childress has completely befuddled most Minnesota football fans by seemingly purposely implementing the lamest offensive strategy of the current 32 NFL teams, so who knows... maybe he really doesn't understand how much of a game-breaking threat Peterson is every time he is on the field. :D

Yea, I don't really know how to read that. I mean, AP has done better than expected IMO. I'm fine with them splitting carries but the idea of Taylor getting the lions share and being the "starter" is kind of wierd. I'm hoping he is the starter in the same way that JJ is the starter down in Dallas. One gets opening drive while the other picks up all the TDs. We'll have to see how Shanny like Childress ends up being.

AP has looked far better in just 3 games than Chester looked all of last year. AP has a lot more talent. If he's not getting the bulk of the carries than something is wrong. Why he would even start Taylor is beyond me. There's no way AP should get less than 20 touches a game. The only reason they lost to the Lions is because they didn't give the ball to AP enough. He's gotten better and better every game. Now he's not even gonna start? That doesn't make sense to me.

The Vikes have a total of two offensive weapons and would be stupid not to utilize them both. Personally, I think it will be roughly a 40-60 split between Chet and AD, respectively, but again, that is just my homer opinion.

AP has looked far better in just 3 games than Chester looked all of last year. AP has a lot more talent. If he's not getting the bulk of the carries than something is wrong. Why he would even start Taylor is beyond me. There's no way AP should get less than 20 touches a game. The only reason they lost to the Lions is because they didn't give the ball to AP enough. He's gotten better and better every game. Now he's not even gonna start? That doesn't make sense to me.

No it doesn't make alot of sense to me either. It makes sense to Childress the only person that counts. I feel he is either way too far into the deep pool and can't swim or is stubborn beyond belief. Probably a little bit of both.

Edited by MikesVikes

I wouldn't go that far. Peterson certainly has looked good so far this year, but let's not exaggerate... he has still looked like a rookie at times too (a very talented rookie indeed, but still a rookie). Also, until the end of the year last year Chester Taylor looked pretty darn good. So, after 3 weeks I don't think it is necessarily a bad move to keep Taylor as the starter while Peterson continues to learn the professional game. But even so, I still think that this is more of a political move than anything else... the equivalent of giving an employee a new fancy sounding title without any kind of pay raise or change in duties. Let's see how things play out before getting too upset about this move.

If Childress does not work Taylor into the mix, Peterson will be injured and on the sideline by Week 8 with the workload he has been given. I see a 60-40 split also in favor of AP. This will ensure AP is not burnt out before the season ends. Childress needs Taylor to stay engaged and give him meaningful carries.

ps I'd still like to know if Hughs sig line means he's getting faster or if people are just in a bigger hurry to leave Jersey than NYC. :D

Funny, but on a serious note, if those are in fact H1's times he's running about an 8 and a half minute mile. Pretty solid for running over 26 of them in a row. :D

Yea, I don't really know how to read that. I mean, AP has done better than expected IMO. I'm fine with them splitting carries but the idea of Taylor getting the lions share and being the "starter" is kind of wierd. I'm hoping he is the starter in the same way that JJ is the starter down in Dallas. One gets opening drive while the other picks up all the TDs. We'll have to see how Shanny like Childress ends up being.

This is something I'm hoping doesn't continue as Marion Barber is the better RB and should be the starter and Jones the COP guy. I'm not bitter about it though, as Barber is getting his touches and has been very productive with them.

And just to chime in on the ADP/C Taylor tropic, one of 2 things will happen here IMO, ADP will get hurt again and Taylor will be a gem later in the season or they split touches (maybe ADP gets the better for now) but as the season wears on ADP will wear down and Taylor will be fresh and ready to roll helping owners down the stretch as the schedule is pretty favorable.

In an odd way, I feel as though Chester's year-long value may be extended because of the way things have played out thus far. If Chester had come in and sucked for the first 3 games, he'd eventually be riding te pine and no good through the rest of the season. AP has looked great, but mortal at times, and will probably hit the wall a touch quicker due to his heavy use this early on. Now Chester gets to start fresh, 3 games into the season, with a lightened workload, buit like others have said, he's still the senior back who will probably be taken care of.

JSMHO

As an AD owner, ISMHO, I think he'll still put up some nice games. He has game-breaking ability that Taylor can only wish for.

If not, ISMRC, Thomas Jones has an easier schedule ahead and I'll have the luxury of playing him. *knock, knock*