[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best trade you've made this year?

doctor_stoppage

I read something in the other forum that changed the way I think about FF trades. Someone posted what looked like a fair trade. Details not important. The reply was: "That trade was so fair, why did you even bother?"

Huh! Never thought of it like that before. Perspective shift!

With that in mind and just for fun - what are some of the most lopsided trades you've pulled off this year? The kind of trade where as soon as you get off the phone with the tradee, you just have to call someone else and laugh about what you just pulled off?

I have one that went through yesterday. I think I robbed this guy blind... hopefully I don't end up looking like a fool;

I gave up Brandon Marshall. I got... Andre Johnson AND Rudi Johnson. OK, not helpful here in week 4, but going forward, I've got to think I came out way ahead.

How about you?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an amazing steal by any stretch but I'm happy that I'm on the good end of this deal.

Will Demps (before he got injured)

Byron Leftwich (before he was cut)

Chris Henry (TEN)

for

Joey Harrington

Warrick Dunn (when he was still out w/ a bad back)

2nd round pick

A few things I never do in trading:

1. Never make a lateral trade.
    -Lateral trades are useless, what's the point of trading just to make a trade. I get countless offers every year which, from the other owners standpoint, seems like a fair deal. But in fact on my side are simply lateral moves & only serve to make the other team better.
  2. Never make a trade that seems to be heavily lopsided in my favor.
    -Even if it is proposed by the other owner, I've learned the hard way that by doing this you earn a reputation for an owner who will take advantage of other owners and it makes it harder to make future deals because other owners have a harder time trusting that you are not trying to take advantage of them.
  3. Never openly brag over a trade.
    -Either you come off looking like an arrogant jerk or you come off looking like a fool depending on how the trade works out.

Two trades that didnt happen in my family league. My team has Steve Smith and Kitna and I was trying to pry away a RB from my cousin.He turned me down on attempts to get Andre Johnson and Norwood after the 1st week. He would have had Smith right now and I would have Johnson and Norwood.

Tried to get Deuce from another cousin. No dice and now he is out!

A few things I never do in trading:
  1. Never make a lateral trade.

-Lateral trades are useless, what's the point of trading just to make a trade. I get countless offers every year which, from the other owners standpoint, seems like a fair deal. But in fact on my side are simply lateral moves & only serve to make the other team better.

2. Never make a trade that seems to be heavily lopsided in my favor.

-Even if it is proposed by the other owner, I've learned the hard way that by doing this you earn a reputation for an owner who will take advantage of other owners and it makes it harder to make future deals because other owners have a harder time trusting that you are not trying to take advantage of them.

3. Never openly brag over a trade.

-Either you come off looking like an arrogant jerk or you come off looking like a fool depending on how the trade works out.

That sounds like some good advice! 1 and 3 especially. Luckily I didn't talk about it with anyone in my actual league (for the reasons you describe).

I find point 2 verrry interesting. How do you handle such a thing? Actually tell the person "sorry, that deal is way too good for me, and you will end up bitter and disliking me"?

What if it's one of those circumstances where what looked like a lopsided deal at first turns out to be the opposite?

Just as a For Example, the trade I started this thread with really could easily end up favoring the other guy. Marshall sure looks like the Real Deal right now, and I had him for nothing. Andre Johnson could be out for a few more weeks, which means I'd be starting someone not as good as either Marshall or Andre Johnson. Rudi Johnson either same thing, OR he comes back but doesn't put up good enough numbers to supplant my RB starters...

My point is, how can we be sure that what looks like a lopsided deal is actually lopsided enough to avoid?

How do you walk the line you describe, avoiding Lateral Trades on one side, and Lopsided Trades on the other?

I'm genuinely eager to hear what you say to owners that offer you a lopsided trade in your favor. I don't think I've ever gotten one of those.

Thanks!

That sounds like some good advice! 1 and 3 especially. Luckily I didn't talk about it with anyone in my actual league (for the reasons you describe).

I find point 2 verrry interesting. How do you handle such a thing? Actually tell the person "sorry, that deal is way too good for me, and you will end up bitter and disliking me"?

What if it's one of those circumstances where what looked like a lopsided deal at first turns out to be the opposite?

Just as a For Example, the trade I started this thread with really could easily end up favoring the other guy. Marshall sure looks like the Real Deal right now, and I had him for nothing. Andre Johnson could be out for a few more weeks, which means I'd be starting someone not as good as either Marshall or Andre Johnson. Rudi Johnson either same thing, OR he comes back but doesn't put up good enough numbers to supplant my RB starters...

My point is, how can we be sure that what looks like a lopsided deal is actually lopsided enough to avoid?

How do you walk the line you describe, avoiding Lateral Trades on one side, and Lopsided Trades on the other?

I'm genuinely eager to hear what you say to owners that offer you a lopsided trade in your favor. I don't think I've ever gotten one of those.

Thanks!

A lot of times an owner in that situation is in desperation mode and doesn't think a trade through before offering it. It's better to just ask them if they're sure that's what they want to do & to think it over before committing. A trade i recently made I actually threw in a 3rd round rookie pick (IDP Dynasty League) just because I felt like the deal was lopsided in my favor. As it turns out, so far, it has gone moreso the other way. But in this case I value the trade relationship much more than the trade itself. In the case of your trade when AJ gets back healthy that trade could end up drastically in your favor. I think it's much more likely to end up that way than Marshall ending up more valuable than both. It's a big gamble on his part & he may be doing because he's desperate for a starting WR. If Marshall doesn't pan out then it could leave him jilted & feeling like you took advantage of him if you were the one who proposed the trade. Also, the rest of the league could be looking at how strong your team will become after AJ is back & not want to deal with you either. The best trades of course are the one's that end up benefiting both teams. A lot of owners make the mistake of looking at a trade only as a means of improving their own team. to make a trade attractive you have to make sure you are also improving theirs as well. For instance, I recently had an owner ask my opinion on an offer he was making another owner. He wanted to offer them LJ & a good TE for Bush & a great TE. I told him that I didn't see why he would want to do that trade..."he's going to tell you no." I told him he would need to improve him at another position so Now he's offering up a top LB for an average one back. It make the trade a bit more enticing because the other owner sees himself improving at a weak position, with only a little dropoff at TE & a possible jackpot at RB. He may still tell him to take a hike, but at least this way the other owner will feel like he is thinking of him as well.

As far as lateral trades are concerned it funny because an owner will send you an offer & when you reject it they call you tight. But when you tell them exactly why you don't think it improves your team, then most of the time they will work with you to make it benefit you both. When another owner feels the same way about a trade & sees that you are also trying to work with them for a well-balanced trade then they will continue to want to deal with you. Two things I never want to feel after I've made a trade, I never want to feel like I've been taken advantage of & I don't want to feel like I've gotten one over on someone.

Edited by rajncajn

Traded Drew Bennett and a 4th round pick in my keeper league after week #1 for Kevin Curtis.

I started Curtis week #3 after Andre Johnson went down......and we all know what Curtis did.

as the persecuted Afro-American QB Donvan McNabb calls him ...."White Lightning!"

I always try and make the trade as fair and beneficial as possible for both parties. I agree with Rajn of his first two points but I don't mind bragging just a bit. :D

Traded Peterson, Portis and Roddy White for Chad Johnson, Steven Jackson and Deshaun Foster yesterday. :D

To follow up on rajn's point, we had an owner in this situation on my local. HE was a fairly experienced fantasy player when most of us were just getting into FF. My 1st or 2nd season playing, he rooked me into taking Craig Heyward and some shiny baubles for Cris Carter. He pulled off similar trades with many other owners. Over the years as we became more savvy and knowledgeable, he continued making ludicrously lopsided offers, and basically 6 of the 9 other owners in the league would basically just delete his e-mails with trade offers before opening them as they had sworn off of trading with him regardless of the offer out of principle. We had a league that generally had a lot of trade activity. I think he made maybe one or two trades in 4-5 years, and neither of them very significant.

So, rajn has a very valid point. Taking advantage of a newbie owner may well come to bite you a lot worse than the immediate advantage of a lopsided trade.

"I gave up Brandon Marshall. I got... Andre Johnson AND Rudi Johnson. OK, not helpful here in week 4, but going forward, I've got to think I came out way ahead."

No commish to monitor trades like this? Bear in mind, AJ and Rudi are banged up, but anticipated production will far exceed Brandon Marshall's....doubt this trade would have pased in our league...but, kudos to you...heck, if AJ and Rudi are out exteneded period, maybe it is an EVEN trade after all