[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best trade you've made this year?

doctor_stoppage

So, rajn has a very valid point. Taking advantage of a newbie owner may well come to bite you a lot worse than the immediate advantage of a lopsided trade.

Mine wasnt so much taking advantage of a newb as it was taking advantage of my depth and his injury woes.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine wasnt so much taking advantage of a newb as it was taking advantage of my depth and his injury woes.

Well that's just smart strategy... I meant that when you take advantage of Pedro in maintenance that you pulled into the league because you needed a 10th and he was happy to take a break from mopping, and you send him a kicker and Wes Welker for Terrel Owens, you should be ashamed.

Well that's just smart strategy... I meant that when you take advantage of Pedro in maintenance that you pulled into the league because you needed a 10th and he was happy to take a break from mopping, and you send him a kicker and Wes Welker for Terrel Owens, you should be ashamed.

:D

Traded away Tom Brady, MJD, Brandon Jackson & Brandon Marshall for Marc Bulger, Ronnnie Brown, Anquan Boldin & Chester Taylor(I am the AD owner). We agreed on this trade the weekend before Boldin & Brown went ape-sh!t. At the time I liked the way it worked out for both teams but it looks as though I got the better end of this trade, though Brady could single-handily win games for the other team plus his receivers are very good and Portis is scoring. We shall see, I am not sold on the performance of Brown and Boldin but the trade did add some much needed depth to my squad.

I just traded Ladanian Tomlinson for Joseph Addai. This is in an auction keeper league, so next year I can keep Addai for $28 out of a $200 cap. I could have kept LT for $106. No way could I have turned this away...especially since my team is 0-3.

As far as lateral trades are concerned it funny because an owner will send you an offer & when you reject it they call you tight. But when you tell them exactly why you don't think it improves your team, then most of the time they will work with you to make it benefit you both. When another owner feels the same way about a trade & sees that you are also trying to work with them for a well-balanced trade then they will continue to want to deal with you. Two things I never want to feel after I've made a trade, I never want to feel like I've been taken advantage of & I don't want to feel like I've gotten one over on someone.

Rajn, I'm missing some of the subtleties of what you are trying to say now. What exactly do you mean by a Lateral trade? I've been taking that to mean something like "a trade so fair that neither team really benefits." But I realize now that can't be right.

How is Lateral different from a "completely fair trade", where you went out of your way for the other guy and threw in extra goodies, like that 3rd round pick?

Rajn, I'm missing some of the subtleties of what you are trying to say now. What exactly do you mean by a Lateral trade? I've been taking that to mean something like "a trade so fair that neither team really benefits." But I realize now that can't be right.

How is Lateral different from a "completely fair trade", where you went out of your way for the other guy and threw in extra goodies, like that 3rd round pick?

Say you trade an RB for RB. Essentially of equal value in your opinion. It is a lateral trade that does nothing for your team. Bye week coverage a notable exception to this type of trade. Or if you trade an RB and WR for an RB and WR of essentially equal value at each position. You gain nothing. Very different than when you trade an RB and WR for an RB and WR where you get an improved RB and give up a better WR, then you have made a change to your team. That is not a lateral move, even though it was a fair and balanced trade.

At least that is my interpretation of his usage of lateral move in this case. Basically, one is a trade for the sake of trading, the latter is a trade that is fair and equal that has an affect on your team.

By lateral I mean for myself. ie a trade which does not improve nor downgrade my team. It may be a "fair" trade at face value, but if it doesn't improve my team in some way the only person it benefits is the other owner. And in this case lateral is a relative term as well. The other owner may be giving me a small upgrade at a position, but if it's not enough to warrant spending time on & can end up going either way I'm just not going to do it. Slight perceived upgrades will not make me want to help another team get better.

Edited by rajncajn

Say you trade an RB for RB. Essentially of equal value in your opinion. It is a lateral trade that does nothing for your team. Bye week coverage a notable exception to this type of trade. Or if you trade an RB and WR for an RB and WR of essentially equal value at each position. You gain nothing. Very different than when you trade an RB and WR for an RB and WR where you get an improved RB and give up a better WR, then you have made a change to your team. That is not a lateral move, even though it was a fair and balanced trade.

At least that is my interpretation of his usage of lateral move in this case. Basically, one is a trade for the sake of trading, the latter is a trade that is fair and equal that has an affect on your team.

:D That too.

Got it. But I wonder, how common is it that a move could be truly lateral, as opposed to just perceived as lateral at the start? Even if you and I traded what we perceived as equal top RBs today, within a few weeks, one would likely be different than the other, even if the point difference is caused by dumb luck.

Doesn't someone always get the better of a trade eventually?

To follow up on rajn's point, we had an owner in this situation on my local. HE was a fairly experienced fantasy player when most of us were just getting into FF. My 1st or 2nd season playing, he rooked me into taking Craig Heyward and some shiny baubles for Cris Carter. He pulled off similar trades with many other owners. Over the years as we became more savvy and knowledgeable, he continued making ludicrously lopsided offers, and basically 6 of the 9 other owners in the league would basically just delete his e-mails with trade offers before opening them as they had sworn off of trading with him regardless of the offer out of principle. We had a league that generally had a lot of trade activity. I think he made maybe one or two trades in 4-5 years, and neither of them very significant.

So, rajn has a very valid point. Taking advantage of a newbie owner may well come to bite you a lot worse than the immediate advantage of a lopsided trade.

Wow, really? Seems to me that the first owner to cross the picket line and explain what happened to the dude might be able to get a pretty good trade or two for themselves, especially if the whole thing is phrased in a friendly way.

I mean, after all, one point of view might be that "it's just a game, anything within the rules I do to win is fine, and turnabout is fair play." I would explain to that guy why he's being shunned, and tell him if we can work out some lopsided trade in my favor to even the score, he's back in my good graces and we can trade more going forward - but it better be more fair from now on.

Unless the guy is just one of those people that basically spams the league with garbage offer after garbage offer. Then I totally understand the shunning. But if he's making decent offers now, and they are being rejected based solely on bad deals from years ago... I'm not sure about that.

Hmmmm. So this is only a newb thing? If I can catch a wily veteran napping I'm on the moral high ground again? :D Heh.

Still, newbs come in a wide range of quality. Your man Pedro there sounds like a total Football Newbie, not a FF newb. The guy I made this trade with in particular is a guy that I used to talk football with all the time - he knows plenty, and has plenty of opinions. He also happens to be a die hard Denver fan, which is why he wanted Marshall so badly.

Wait a minute. This is only my second year playing FF - I still qualify as a newb!

If it's a newb on newb offense, surely it counts as less of a crime in the eyes of the law? :D

Got it. But I wonder, how common is it that a move could be truly lateral, as opposed to just perceived as lateral at the start? Even if you and I traded what we perceived as equal top RBs today, within a few weeks, one would likely be different than the other, even if the point difference is caused by dumb luck.

Doesn't someone always get the better of a trade eventually?

The definition I gave actually happens fairly often & the reason is as I stated that a lot of owners make offers without taking much into account what the other teams needs are. And no, someone does not always get the better of a trade. Many times it works out well for both, sometimes for neither...but in a dynasty league, which I'm more accustomed to, deals can be made that currently may look really bad for you but end up really working out in the long run. In dynasty leagues owners will often look 2-3 years in advance when considering trades.

Just traded Bears Defense/ST for Brandon Marshall and Texans D/ST. Also picked up the Titans.

Bears D isn't dominate without Tommie Harris and friends. I a few of these injures will nag on... like for the entire year. They also have a reasonably tough schedule and a Defense that can't get a rest.

Brandon Marshall is gonna turn into a monster IMO.

2000 Grand Caravan for an 05 Mustang Convertible :D

My kind of trade!

(just prior to the start of the season) Another owner offered me McNabb for Leinhart straight up - and I took it of course. He had McNabb & McNair and was worried about both getting injured (At least that was my take). I had Rivers & Leinhart. So my #2 for his #1 with a much better upside then my then #1. I was wondering if I'd done the right thing until last week...but I felt it would likely work out in my favor...and I started McNabb last week so I'm (very happy)!

Traded away Tom Brady, MJD, Brandon Jackson & Brandon Marshall for Marc Bulger, Ronnnie Brown, Anquan Boldin & Chester Taylor(I am the AD owner). We agreed on this trade the weekend before Boldin & Brown went ape-sh!t. At the time I liked the way it worked out for both teams but it looks as though I got the better end of this trade, though Brady could single-handily win games for the other team plus his receivers are very good and Portis is scoring. We shall see, I am not sold on the performance of Brown and Boldin but the trade did add some much needed depth to my squad.

Funny, I made thed exact same trade...Oh yea, it was with you...I feel like I got the better end of the deal though.... :D:D