[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rest of the Season Rankings!

billay

I'm by no means a die-hard FF guy, but a few things jumped out at me with these rankings this week that just seemed clearly out of whack.

Runningback:

Steven Jackson @ #2?

Pace is done for the year, Bulger is hurt. The Rams are in a nosedive. Jackson's touches are on the upswing, but he has yet to sniff the endzone. Is there really any reason to believe that he will rally to such a degree to justify being the #2 overall fantasy runningback the rest of the way?

Clinton Portis @ # 20

Looks pretty healthy to me. Now, clearly the bottom could drop out at any minute, but Portis is putting up great numbers and has yet to carry the ball 20 times in any game. (Although he did catch 6 passes against the GMen) With this few touches, isn;t the liklihood of an injury reduced significantly? Betts touches have decreased proportionally to Portis' success

Marion Barber @ 23

So far, much to the chagrin of many, the Cowboys offense has proven to be one of the more prolific this year, and Barber is right smack in the thick of it. His touches are up, Jones is on the mend, and clearly being outperformed. Barber's TD production last year, has thus far, not proven to be a fluke at all (unlike MJD, who is ranked above him)

Wide Receiver

Andre Johnson @ 7

In his first 2 games, the guy was a monster, no doubt, but he's about to miss his 2nd consecutive game and (worst case scenario) could miss another 3? Shouldn't his value reflect this? In truth, AJ's value only raises my eyebrows in the face of a few other guys, like..

Tory Holt @ 10

Much like SJax above, Holt's prognosis is similar. Yet no movement in the rankings. Oddly enough, Bulger has dropped significantly in the rankings. Why not these 2?

Roy Williams @ 13

So far, the Detroit offense and Mad Man Martz are living up to their billing, and Roy Williams is in line to play the role of Torry Holt in this reprisal of the Greates show on turf. He's caught a TD in each game and his yardage and catches have increased significantly with each game from 20 in week 1, to over 200 last week. If all these other receivers were going to eat into his production, wouldn't they have done so by now? Let's see that green arrow, shall we?

Steven Jackson @ #2?

Pace is done for the year, Bulger is hurt. The Rams are in a nosedive. Jackson's touches are on the upswing, but he has yet to sniff the endzone. Is there really any reason to believe that he will rally to such a degree to justify being the #2 overall fantasy runningback the rest of the way?

I stopped reading this week's update after I saw that one.

I'm by no means a die-hard FF guy, but a few things jumped out at me with these rankings this week that just seemed clearly out of whack.

Runningback:

Steven Jackson @ #2?

Marion Barber @ 23

So far, much to the chagrin of many, the Cowboys offense has proven to be one of the more prolific this year, and Barber is right smack in the thick of it. His touches are up, Jones is on the mend, and clearly being outperformed. Barber's TD production last year, has thus far, not proven to be a fluke at all (unlike MJD, who is ranked above him)

I have to say that I completely agree with Billay here. Some of the other players mentioned aren't as far fetched but these 2 are WAY OFF!!!

Now I know it's a long season and alot can happen but to say that SJax is going to finish at #2 with his poor play and now being out with an injury is either true genius or lunacy. Time will tell. Same deal with Barber and ranking him at #23!! The guy is practically a Top 5 RB now and is getting the rock/touches more than in the past. He is and will continue to be a huge part of the Dallas offense. I'm thinking at worst he will be Top 15 by year's end. :D

yeah, agree with all of those, billay. there's always a danger of overreacting to one or two weeks in FF, but if you're gonna leave sjax (hi furd!) at #2, you may as well not even do a "rest of season" rankings, may as well just leave the preseason cheatsheet up there all year. having that kind of info up really doesn't reflect very well on the site, IMO.

Just went back to look at the rankings, as i stated earlier, i had not continued on .

With all the points you listed billay, i'm surprised to see no mention of Deuce McAllister on your post. He's done for the year, but ranked above potential sleepers like Leon Washington and Kevin Jones. I'm sure the list may have been created too early for this his injury to have factored in, but perhaps not with Jackson making the #2 spot.

Just went back to look at the rankings, as i stated earlier, i had not continued on .

With all the points you listed billay, i'm surprised to see no mention of Deuce McAllister on your post. He's done for the year, but ranked above potential sleepers like Leon Washington and Kevin Jones. I'm sure the list may have been created too early for this his injury to have factored in, but perhaps not with Jackson making the #2 spot.

Like you said, news of Deuce's injury came out this week, so I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. If Deuce is still there next week, however, I think there can be no doubt that the ROSR are on auto-pilot. I certainly hope that's not the case.

I would agree at least in part with you about the ranking for Jackson and I have made a change there. But the intent of the rankings as I instructed those who do them is to provide a weekly maintenance to the rankings from the summer to show what the overall value of a player is independent of what is happening that week and more along the lines of what in a dynasty sort of league you would want a player. We called it Rest of The Season but by mid-season and beyond, I have told them to consider the keeper value of the players. I would suspect that much of the perceived differences is that you are looking at them as purely rest of the season naturally because that is what they are called while those involved were told to consider a player's overall value - not only for this season but as a keeper as well. The biggest value of them by later in the year was intended just to be keeper considerations so some of this is my fault in how I named them.

I also instructed them not to over-react to current week situations and the immediate outlook so much as their long-term value. So while you are viewing these, I would guess, as something which shows what players may best get you to the fantasy playoffs in ten tweeks, that is not per se what I told them to do since there should not be a huge difference between now and ten weeks from now for a players overall ranking unless some big dynamic is at play.

This is compounded in particular for running backs because this is such a bizzare year where so many were injured and almost every RB flopped at the top in the opening weeks for various reasons. This is a new feature and I need to think about how I told them to handle them and how they are perceived. I almost named them Keeper Rankings.

I would agree at least in part with you about the ranking for Jackson and I have made a change there. But the intent of the rankings as I instructed those who do them is to provide a weekly maintenance to the rankings from the summer to show what the overall value of a player is independent of what is happening that week and more along the lines of what in a dynasty sort of league you would want a player. We called it Rest of The Season but by mid-season and beyond, I have told them to consider the keeper value of the players. I would suspect that much of the perceived differences is that you are looking at them as purely rest of the season naturally because that is what they are called while those involved were told to consider a player's overall value - not only for this season but as a keeper as well. The biggest value of them by later in the year was intended just to be keeper considerations so some of this is my fault in how I named them.

I also instructed them not to over-react to current week situations and the immediate outlook so much as their long-term value. So while you are viewing these, I would guess, as something which shows what players may best get you to the fantasy playoffs in ten tweeks, that is not per se what I told them to do since there should not be a huge difference between now and ten weeks from now for a players overall ranking unless some big dynamic is at play.

This is compounded in particular for running backs because this is such a bizzare year where so many were injured and almost every RB flopped at the top in the opening weeks for various reasons. This is a new feature and I need to think about how I told them to handle them and how they are perceived. I almost named them Keeper Rankings.

My post wasn;'t intended as a shot, only constructive criticism. Given what you have said, "Keeper Rankings" would be a better moniker for them. Perhaps, during the season they could be for this year, and re-do them in the last few weeks of the season for next year? Who's thinking about keepers now, after all? Not as a weekly update, anyway.

My post wasn;'t intended as a shot, only constructive criticism. Given what you have said, "Keeper Rankings" would be a better moniker for them. Perhaps, during the season they could be for this year, and re-do them in the last few weeks of the season for next year? Who's thinking about keepers now, after all? Not as a weekly update, anyway.

The genesis for them was our survey which had a huge call for keeper rankings. My instructions for them was to make them be almost entirely ROS to start and then each week should take a stronger consideration about keeper value such that by week 17, they are nothing but keeper rankings. I can assure you that the people doing them are more than qualified to do them and have very strong fantasy knowledge or I would not have had them do it. And they take longer to do than many may realize because they are considering ROS and keeper issues.

I went with Rest of the Season because I named them thinking about what people would see that was new in week one. When they were initially planned, it came from a season long standpoint that started with keeper value first and foremost.

I obviously need to think about what I have told them and how it is presented because we want to offer helpful content obviously and nothing that is not doing what we want to be done. I will take the blame on this one - not the writers.

i would think maybe they should be separate. a rest of season rankings, that ends maybe week 10 or 12....and then a separate long-term keeper rankings. trying to shove them together results in output that doesn't make much sense as either. :D

Steven Jackson @ #2?

I have Jackson in one league and I won't even miss him this week. Not that this one team of mine is stellar, but I think I can cover the 2-5 points he's been giving me each week :D

DMD,

If this feature is for a Keeper or Dynasty League ranking, then why even move SJackson at all? I'm more confused now then before. Dynasty Rankings with SAlexander as the #2.?...?...?...?...?...that's harder to swallow for me then having SJackson as a #2 for rest of the year.

I would love to enjoy this feature for trade related purposes. I would suggest an alternative method of delivery for it.

Keep the same name, but break it into a 3 column report.

Keeper - Dynasty and Redraft , that would be a good tool .

Edited by theeohiostate

DMD,

If this feature is for a Keeper or Dynasty League ranking, then why even move SJackson at all? I'm more confused now then before. Dynasty Rankings with SAlexander as the #2.?...?...?...?...?...that's harder to swallow for me then having SJackson as a #2 for rest of the year.

I would love to enjoy this feature for trade related purposes. I would suggest an alternative method of delivery for it.

Keep the same name, but break it into a 3 column report.

Keeper - Dynasty and Redraft , that would be a good tool .

Just like the pre-season rankings...

Some players move up and down each week based on that week's performance while others seem more permanently fixed to certain rankings.

I don't think that I'll use that info for FA prospecting anymore.

I never really liked it anyways....

I have the info I use set and I rely on those certain things for the basis of my decisions...