[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Waiver/Claims Systems

DemonKnight

OKay so the resident crybaby in my league has his panties in a bunch about our claims system. We are currently running a worst to first system and it seems the fairest system to me. He is advocating a waiver system that he describes as such:

In the Waiver process if you have the first pick and make a pick up, then you go to the back of the pack for your next pick.

Has anyone ever heard of this method of waivers? How would you determine who starts out as "first"? We use Fanball, do any of the hosting sites even support this type of waiver system?

We use waiver system in CBS Sportsline......the system ranks the drop/add order for that week.....You put in your CLAIMS Tuesday and the system will then let you know if you get that player.

Good thing is you can claim 'multiple' players using same player you will drop

Example:

This past week, I was in 5th waiver slot.....I submitted following two 'drop/adds"

Drop Chatman, ADD Brian Leonard (knew it was stretch, but what the heck)

Drop Chatman, ADD Kenny Watson (rudi owner)

Ended up with Watson. Waiver went through all ten teams (if ten had placed claims), then back to the beginning.

2nd claim, I dropped Anthony Gonazlez and got Roddy White.......seems to be working fine thus far

My league in Fanball works worst to first for Claims, but Waivers works the way you are describing. The ranking for Waivers starts out as the reverse of draft order. Once someone gets a player through Waivers, they go to the end of the ranking.

We came up with this method to throw a bone to one of the owners who complained because he makes almost no Add/Drops during the year, but when he is ready to make one move, he does not get first priority.

Worst to first creates more parity in the league, but his argument was that it was unfair to people who draft well.

It doesn't make a big deal in our league, because most owners won't drop anyone that they think another owner would want.

I would not go for the same thing, if it were for Claims.

OKay so the resident crybaby in my league has his panties in a bunch about our claims system. We are currently running a worst to first system and it seems the fairest system to me. He is advocating a waiver system that he describes as such:

Has anyone ever heard of this method of waivers? How would you determine who starts out as "first"? We use Fanball, do any of the hosting sites even support this type of waiver system?

That's how RTSports does it. Last place has the 1st pick, but they cycle to the end of waiver order before they get their next pick. Basically, if they put in for 2 players, they get their 1st priority, but they wouldn't get their 2nd player unless none of the other teams put in for him.

Edited by Uncle Wiggy

My league in Fanball works worst to first for Claims, but Waivers works the way you are describing. The ranking for Waivers starts out as the reverse of draft order. Once someone gets a player through Waivers, they go to the end of the ranking.

How wouold this work for an auction league (ours is)?

I don't know.

Is there a cost for picking up a player through Waivers?

If the issue is there was no draft order, the order could be chosen randomly. I'm not sure that I like that solution, but it could be done.

If it is an ongoing league, the order could be based on the way teams finished last year.

Assuming you are talking a season long waiver wire rotation, then yes, I have seen and heard of it done quite a bit. The wire is set by some method initially (usually reverse of draft order) and the order hold for the entire season. You make a pick up, you move to the back of the wire. You don't make a move, you move up as those owners ahead of you make moves.

Regarding an auction league, depends a lot on your league setup. If you just have an auction for the player allocation then all cap and slaries are thrown out, then you'd just have to come up with an arbitrary method.. roll the dice, draw from a hat or as the previous poster suggested, use previous years standings if you are a keeper league of any sort. The auction leagues I am a part of all have salary caps that hold for the entire season, so pickups are based on bidding, so this would be an irrelevant matter for them.

That's how RTSports does it. Last place has the 1st pick, but they cycle to the end of waiver order before they get their next pick. Basically, if they put in for 2 players, they get their 1st priority, but they wouldn't get their 2nd player unless none of the other teams put in for him.

I also use rtsport and we go from worst to 1st. Once the waiver wire is completed at Wednesday at 9 pm, You are free to add/drop anyone you like up until the games start on sunday.

One of the leagues I am in uses blind bidding to handle free agent pickups for part of the week and then first come first served afterward(iIt is a re-draft league, but blind bidding works for auction as well). All owners start with a ficticious $100 for the season. If you want to acquire a free agent, you send in a bid (via email) to an account set up solely for this purpose. The email is due by 8am wednesday morning. At that time, the commish goes through the emails and awards players to the highest/only bidder. The commish adds the players to the appropriate rosters and then sends out a spreadsheet with the winning bids. After noon wednesday, owners are free to add/drop players as they please. This system works well for us, and adds another element to the mix as there is strategy involved in bidding. Obviously, the caveat here is you need a commish who is 1) trustworthy, and 2) organized enough to keep up with it each week. We are lucky that we have that in ours.

The other league I am in uses the waiver system on CBS Sucksline. The waiver order is set the first week and then adjusts as teams make pickups. After an owner adds a player, they go to the end of the order. This method works ok, too, but I think the bidding method is the way to go as it gives a FA to the owner who wants them the most or is the only one that wants them.