[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brees gives $2 million to Purdue

Bill Swerski

A real class act :D

Brees gives to alma mater for athlete academics center

Associated Press

Updated: September 28, 2007, 8:42 AM ET

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees is giving $2 million to his alma mater, Purdue University, for a student-athlete academics center.

The Drew and Brittany Brees Student-Athlete Academic Center will fill 11,000 square feet in the Intercollegiate Athletic Facility next to Mackey Arena. The academic center in that facility now occupies 6,500 square feet.

The Brees Center is part of Mackey Arena's renovation project scheduled for completion in 2011.

``Drew and Brittany's gift reinforces their commitment to having it both ways _ championships and diplomas,'' said athletic director Morgan Burke, who will announce the gift Friday night during the Purdue Athletic Director's Dinner.

Brees set 12 Big Ten Conference and 18 Purdue records and led the team to the Rose Bowl after the 2000 season. He is in his seventh NFL season, his second with the New Orleans Saints.

Brees' wife Brittany also is a Purdue graduate, earning a bachelor's degree in organizational leadership and supervision in 2000. She heads the Brees Dream Foundation for disadvantaged children.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

:D

Maybe he should be working more after practice so he wont have 5 turnovers again or watching game tape instead of donating money.....

Maybe you should do some homework before you make a post like that. Tough to find many players in the NFL that spend more time on the game than Brees does. He just happens to spend his free time doing something other than hanging in the clubs!

Maybe you should do some homework before you make a post like that. Tough to find many players in the NFL that spend more time on the game than Brees does. He just happens to spend his free time doing something other than hanging in the clubs!

LIghten up Francis !!!!!

nice to see a generous giving by Brees, the timing of it is so unselfish with the bad start to the season and all. At such a time where most athletes would be freakin out thinking about themselves and how they can get back on top of the world. Brees does a good deed and goes about business... class act.

nice to see a generous giving by Brees, the timing of it is so unselfish with the bad start to the season and all. At such a time where most athletes would be freakin out thinking about themselves and how they can get back on top of the world. Brees does a good deed and goes about business... class act.

yep.

Honestly, doesn't surprise me at all.

Yup...as much as I've read about how much him & many the other players have done down here it doesn't surprise me in the least. I remember several years back Deuce doing something similar for Ole Miss. That's one of the reasons, win or lose, I can always say I'm proud to be a Saints fan.

Edited by rajncajn