[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets fan sues Pats and Belichick for 184 million

whomper

Jets ticket holder files $184M suit against Pats, Belichick

Sep. 28, 2007

CBSSports.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- A New York Jets season-ticket holder filed a class-action lawsuit Friday against the New England Patriots and coach Bill Belichick for "deceiving customers."

Advertisement

The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Newark, N.J., by Carl Mayer of Princeton Township, N.J., stems from the Patriots being caught illegally videotaping signals from Jets coaches in New England's 38-14 season-opening win Sept. 9.

"They violated the integrity of the game," Mayer's attorney, Bruce Afran, told the Associated Press. "This is a way of punishing Belichick and the Patriots."

Mayer, 48, is seeking more than $184 million in damages for Jets ticket holders.

Belichick was fined $500,000 by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, and the team was fined $250,000 for violating a league rule that prohibits clubs from using a video camera on the sidelines for any purpose -- including recording signals relayed to opposing players on the field. New England also must forfeit a first-round draft pick next year if it makes the playoffs or a second- and third-rounder if it doesn't.

"They were deceiving customers," Mayer said. "You can't deceive customers."

The lawsuit maintained that because other teams found illegal videotaping by the defendants, Jets ticket holders should be compensated for all games played in Giants Stadium between the Jets and Patriots since Belichick became head coach in 2000.

The two calculated that because customers paid $61.6 million to watch eight "fraudulent" games, they're entitled to triple that amount -- or $184.8 million -- in compensation under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act and the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act.

"How many times have the Patriots done this? We find it hard to believe they did it just once," Mayer said. "We just want to get to the truth of the matter of what the Patriots did to the Jets. I think the ticket holders are genuinely concerned about it. This is a type of misrepresentation."

Patriots spokesman Stacey James declined to comment on the lawsuit.

Mayer and Afran, who consider themselves public interest lawyers, have been thorns in the side of New Jersey politicians for years, filing lawsuits and demanding investigations to advance their grievances. They are well known in the state but generally have had little success in their causes.

Both have lost bids for elected offices, and Mayer once served as a presidential campaign adviser to Ralph Nader.

Their demand in March for a probe of Gov. Jon S. Corzine's gifts to a former girlfriend was rejected by a federal prosecutor. In 2006, a judge vetoed their effort to block Corzine's appointment of Rep. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., to fill the governor's seat in the U.S. Senate.

They also failed to get a court to order a special election to replace Gov. James E. McGreevey when he resigned in 2004.

Now, they're taking on the Patriots.

Their latest lawsuit asserted that the secret videotaping violated the contractual "expectations and rights" of Jets ticket holders "to observe an honest match played in compliance with all laws and regulations."

The actions of Belichick and the Patriots violated federal and state racketeering laws, as well as the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act and New Jersey Deceptive Business Practices Act, according to the lawsuit.

"Having been a lifelong Jets fan, as soon as I heard this, I was completely outraged," Mayer said. "The NFL just slapped them on the wrist. I'm a consumer lawyer, and this is consumer fraud."

Reminds me of the idiot in DC who sued a dry cleaning company for 56 million because they "lost" his pants and they had a sign in the shop that stated "satisfaction guaranteed." I hope these two flamers get hit with costs & sanctions what a piece of crap lawsuit.

i think Red Sox fans should sue the pinstripes off of Steinbrenner, the yankeez and Giambi Juice...

dating back to the first day he played for the bronx bummers....

he cheated and admitted it....

lets see, $120 avg ticket @ 35,000 tix, thats $4.2 million a game...

average 9 games a yr at Fenway thats $37.8 million.....

how long has the grease ball been hacking for the yankz? lets say 9 years, so thats $340 million...

oh and lets not forget all those great* playoff games they cheated in too...lets say 35 for a round number,

so add another $147 million....brings us to $487 million

so what are we up to?? lets see....$487 million times 3 for triple damages, wheres my calculator?

thats $1.461 BILLION......and lets not forget pain and suffering for any injuries the Sox endured

while the yankz where cheating...how bout another $250 million? sound good?....

so that makes the grand total, $1.711 BILLION.

lets call it an even $1.7 BILLION, that sounds fair.

i think i'm due a check (make that a bank check) for about $446,170.23 for the 'fraudulent' games i attended.

its really fun to punt you Patriot haters around...really it is!

but the funniest thing (and the thing that makes you look even dumber) is that when the Patriots sucked

you could have cared less....lol

Get over it Vet :D

:wacko:

I'd like to sue the Pirates for the five or so games that I took my kids to this year. They did not win a single one of those game. I think they are commiting fraud when they charge me to watch two professional baseball teams play a game.

:D:wacko:

I dislike the Patriots as much as everybody else, but this has gone WAY too far.

I would like to sue Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts for changing the rules to suit their passing offense needs. I would also like to sue them for the pain and suffering that I've personally had to endure for watching all of the excruciating Peyton Manning T.V. commercials over the years.

Edited by Crazysight

I'd like to sue the Pirates for the five or so games that I took my kids to this year. They did not win a single one of those game. I think they are commiting fraud when they charge me to watch two professional baseball teams play a game.

+1

well stated

:D

I would like to sue Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts for changing the rules to suit their passing offense needs.

That lawsuit would be just as baseless as the one in this thread, since you'd be suing the wrong party and no rule was changed.

I would also like to sue them for the pain and suffering that I've personally had to endure for watching all of the excruciating Peyton Manning T.V. commercials over the years.

His agent apparently is not familiar with the concept of "overexposure."