[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Derrick Ward Whats the Deal?

Ice717

Giants | Ward misses practice Friday, should play Week 4

Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:20:39 -0700

New York Giants RB Derrick Ward (ankle) did not participate in practice Friday, Sept. 28. Ward missed practice because his ankle was sore, but he should be able to play Week 4. Ward is officially listed as questionable for the game.

Per CBS Sportsline 09/28/07:

News: Giants RB Brandon Jacobs (knee) went through a full practice Friday and is listed as questionable for Week 4 vs. Philadelphia. According to NFL.com, Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said Jacobs' status will be a game-time decision. Giants RB Derrick Ward is also listed as questionable with an ankle injury. He did not practice Friday after limited reps Thursday.

Analysis: It sounds as though if Ward is in worse shape than Jacobs come Sunday, the Giants might not have a choice but to keep Jacobs active for the first time since injuring himself Week 1. Ward has rushed for 273 yards and is averaging 5.1 yards per carry this year, but Week 3 he lost goal-line carries to Reuben Droughns, which hurts his Fantasy value. The fact that Ward didn't practice Friday also hurts his status going into Week 4. Continue to track the news leading up to inactives Sunday, but consider Ward nothing more than a possible No. 3 Fantasy RB or 'flex' option Week 4.

One thing I have learned not to do is take advice from the CBS Sportsline guys. I have been playing FF using NFL.com for years and the advice they give (re who to play or not) tends to be suspect to say the least.

OK, then how about SportingNews.com:

Derrick Ward Updates

Sept. 29, 2007 - 7:54 a.m.

Coach Tom Coughlin told the New York Daily News that he expects Ward (ankle) to be ready for Sunday. Ward didn't practice Friday.

Fantasy Source spin: Check back Sunday, just in case. Brandon Jacobs isn't expected to play, so if Ward also sits, Reuben Droughns would be the man at running back for New York. If Ward plays, however, make sure to have him active.

I was not referring to injury status I was referring to wether or not they are a good start or not, ie - he is at best a #2 or #3 rb, etc. I should have clarified my point better. The articles those guys write like start em sit em, etc and their player updates are often not very good imo.

Derrick Ward Updates

Sept. 29, 2007 - 7:54 a.m.

Coach Tom Coughlin told the New York Daily News that he expects Ward (ankle) to be ready for Sunday. Ward didn't practice Friday.

Fantasy Source spin: Check back Sunday, just in case. Brandon Jacobs isn't expected to play, so if Ward also sits, Reuben Droughns would be the man at running back for New York. If Ward plays, however, make sure to have him active.

Posting on Fanball

Brandon Jacobs made it through a couple of days of practice this week. However, he's not quite ready to return to action on Sunday, according to the New York Daily News. "They want to make sure things are right, which I don't blame them," Jacobs said. "I'm not holding it against them because they're holding me out for this week. I want to play, but it's a long season."

Sounds like he is out!

Posting on Fanball

Brandon Jacobs made it through a couple of days of practice this week. However, he's not quite ready to return to action on Sunday, according to the New York Daily News. "They want to make sure things are right, which I don't blame them," Jacobs said. "I'm not holding it against them because they're holding me out for this week. I want to play, but it's a long season."

Sounds like he is out!

:D I saw that one then a Fanball post two hrs later:

09/29/07 09:58 AM

THE NEWS

Our View

Derrick Ward missed practice Friday to rest his sore ankle, but barring a setback, he should be ready to play Sunday, allowing Jacobs to focus on getting heatlhy for the next game.