[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need a Duck recipe

MuddyPaws

Got 3 Mallards I'm going to breast out... Looking for inspiration from this crew.

I can always soak it in milk put some rub on it and grill it up nice etc... But I thought I'd bring it up here.

finely brunoise a shallot. saute with a little butter over med heat. deglaze with a cup of chicken stock and a cup of creme de cassis. reduce to either 1/3 or 1/4.... add 1/2 tbs of chopped thyme. (if you like, can turn it into a cream sauce by adding about a half cup of cream and then reducing again until you ge tthe correct consistancy)

for the duck. score. pan sear and finish in the oven

i go with either twice baked potatoes or thyme spaetzle, and braised red cabbage.

Edited by Bier Meister

Got 3 Mallards I'm going to breast out... Looking for inspiration from this crew.

I can always soak it in milk put some rub on it and grill it up nice etc... But I thought I'd bring it up here.

marinate ( u can use many things, i like Italian salad dressing or a mix of balsamic vinegar and some garlic , or hot wing sauce) then rap in bacon and slow cook.... duck balls are the best....

cut into strips , dip into eggs and then into a batter of flower and tony's, deep fry like fish... yummy

• 2 weeks later...

I've never done anything fancy with wild ducks - they are not typically nearly as fat as those bought from a butcher - especially if you're breasting them out. If you take the time to pluck a nicely fat wild duck, any of the gourmet recipes listed here will work well.

This time of year, wild ducks don't taste all that great because they haven't started eating much grain yet. I tend to flavor 'em up a bit when they've been eating a swamp diet. Try soaking them in italilan dressing and grilling them wrapped in bacon. You can also go for cheap and easy and dump the breasts in the crockpot with a soup of your choice.

I'll also offer a tip on diving ducks - only good for jerky, IMO. Breast the critters out, making sure to srape off all the bitter yellow fat. Slice to desired thickness and marinate in a mixture of soy sauce, jalepeno jelly and pepper of choice to taste (add liquid smoke of you don't cure jerky in a smoker - smoke or dehydrate to desired dryness. Even my kids mow through this jerky - it makes those nasty divers pretty darn edible. :D

For me, one of the best is to make gumbo. I've used just breasts, but whole ducks are better since you'll want to make stock.

Duck Men 7 (a hunting video by the duck commander) has a great gumbo recipe in the special features. He walks you through the whole thing.

In a nutshell: Boil the duck with a bay leaf and salt to create a stock. Pull apart the meat and set aside. Create a dark roux with peanut oil and flour. Add garlic, carrots, onions, celery and cook a while. Add stock and meat. Cook for a few hours. Boil rice in left over stock. Serve gumbo over rice, seasoned with creole seasoning and green onion. Add hot sauce if you like.

Delicious. It's a fun thing to spend your time making it right and people will love it.

I

I'll also offer a tip on diving ducks - only good for jerky, IMO. Breast the critters out, making sure to srape off all the bitter yellow fat. Slice to desired thickness and marinate in a mixture of soy sauce, jalepeno jelly and pepper of choice to taste (add liquid smoke of you don't cure jerky in a smoker - smoke or dehydrate to desired dryness. Even my kids mow through this jerky - it makes those nasty divers pretty darn edible. :D

we do about the same but i love them butterballs...... id take them over most .

now scaup are a bit to handle but not as bad as goldeneye or merganser... wont shoot those anymore...

buffleheads are good divers as are Can's they are the best eating of all wild ducks or geese....