[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The SEC

neilfish2

No other conf. had this type of competition.

AU Losing to Miss ST.

then AU beating FLA

Ark Losing to AL.

AL Losing to Georga

Please give me a conference that is more competitive

That is why its so hard for an SEC to win the NC

The SEC is slowly becoming an overrated conference. It is getting a lot of hype, but in reality, there isn't much to show for it outside of that SEC vaccum. Which was the same argument said about OSU and Michigan last year. LSU clobbered VT at home. That is the best win they have outside of the conference. Tennessee went to Cal and got thumped. South Florida, a glorified mid-major, came into Auburn and knocked them off. I want to point out, that in no way am I saying the SEC is bad, nor is any particular conference better, but in reality, we aren't going to know anything about them, until the bowls when they play some teams out of conference. They're getting a lot of credit for having the defenidng NC Florida, and LSU is getting alot of hype based on god knows what, I guess beating the crap out of Notre Dame in a virtual home game is something to write home about. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say they are the best conference, but lets tone it down a bit. Prove something on the field.

The SEC is slowly becoming an overrated conference. It is getting a lot of hype, but in reality, there isn't much to show for it outside of that SEC vaccum. Which was the same argument said about OSU and Michigan last year. LSU clobbered VT at home. That is the best win they have outside of the conference. Tennessee went to Cal and got thumped. South Florida, a glorified mid-major, came into Auburn and knocked them off. I want to point out, that in no way am I saying the SEC is bad, nor is any particular conference better, but in reality, we aren't going to know anything about them, until the bowls when they play some teams out of conference. They're getting a lot of credit for having the defenidng NC Florida, and LSU is getting alot of hype based on god knows what, I guess beating the crap out of Notre Dame in a virtual home game is something to write home about. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say they are the best conference, but lets tone it down a bit. Prove something on the field.

I think we see this with all the quality conferences. Being from Illinois I watched the Big 10 for many years and it was the same there. The difference with the SEC and Big 12 is the conference championship game at the end of the year.

I think yesterday was a prime example of this.

Wisconsin almost got caught napping against Michigan St. Penn St got caught by an improving Illinois team.

Florida was surprised by Auburn. To a certain extent LSU got caught in the first half by a bad Tulane team.

Texas proved they arent good enough against K St. OU straight up overlooked Colorado. Oklahoma is no doubt a better team than Colorado and Colorado really is as bad as they looked in the 1st 4 games.

Is USC really only 3 better than Washington? No way!

Conference play brings this about every season and no team is untouchable. Most, if not every year a couple of teams escape undefeated from a tough conference but you just never know!

I think the point of the thread is that the SEC is a tough place to play in. Solid schools top to bottom and it's really hard to run the table in the league. If you are good enough (and lucky enough) to run the table, you still have a Championship game to contend with. This is one major hurdle that could cost you a shot at a NC game. I would really like to see the Big 10 and Pac 10 have a championship game as well. They are exciting as hell and actually are usually better games then a lot of Bowl games. I might be in the minority but say a OSU/UM rematch for the Big Ten title and a shot at a NC game would be pretty damn exciting.

Yeah FLA won last year but they got thumped by Auburn along the way which could of cost them a shot at the title. Seems like a lot of the "little schools" all over the country are starting to make some noise(South Florida, Rutgers etc..). I think it's great!

Edited by 'canes2004

I think the Conference Championship game can sometimes vault a team into the NC game, last year for Florida being an example. I don't know if Florida gets in over Michigan last year if they don't play (and win) in the SEC Championship game. Kind of a double edged sword.

I think the Conference Championship game can sometimes vault a team into the NC game, last year for Florida being an example. I don't know if Florida gets in over Michigan last year if they don't play (and win) in the SEC Championship game. Kind of a double edged sword.

Good point. Michigan would have went on to face OSU again, if not for the SEC Championship game. That would have been horrible for College Football to have the best team , NOT, in the championship game. It's happened before, but we can't be sure. Florida was the best of the best last season and a OSU-Michigan game would have been a hose job for the system (which may have been a good thing for the future)

+1

I'm surprised you have the strength to make it to your keyboard this morning untateve. I was at a Gator/Auburn party last night in my neighborhood. It was equal parts UF and AU fans and it was great. Almost a few fisticuffs ensued. :D

I shall endeavor to persevere.

You'll be surprised how long the feeling of winning a NC resignates. We got ours 5 years ago, and it still feels good, so a loss goes a little easier. It's good to be a fan of a great athletic institution that produces contenders year in , year out as well.

SEC the last few years has been by far the toughest conference from top to bottom, however this year it seems the PAC 10 is right on their heels. Granted Tennessee is down this season so not to sure how much credit should go to Cal for that win, but Oregon's dismantling of one of the Big 10's premier teams lets me know that if Cal can beat the Ducks at home they must be damn good.

SEC the last few years has been by far the toughest conference from top to bottom, however this year it seems the PAC 10 is right on their heels. Granted Tennessee is down this season so not to sure how much credit should go to Cal for that win, but Oregon's dismantling of one of the Big 10's premier teams lets me know that if Cal can beat the Ducks at home they must be damn good.

In your opinion. Bowl records Big Ten vs SEC last 3 years... 04: 2-1 Big Ten 05: 1-1 tie 06: 2-1 Big Ten. All of which, the SEC team was favored, exceptfor I believe the national title game from last year. Thats a 5-3 Big Ten advantage. And thats top tier teams vs top tier right there.

I think the point of the thread is that the SEC is a tough place to play in. Solid schools top to bottom and it's really hard to run the table in the league. If you are good enough (and lucky enough) to run the table, you still have a Championship game to contend with.

Well, there IS the theory that ANY team playing a conference rival is tough - especially if it's a bitter rival; because a better team will come in with something to lose, which is a motivator for the "lesser" team; and there is tremendous familiarity in most cases, which means they know each other's strengths and weaknesses extremely well.

Granted, every conference has some bottomfeeders (all the SEC trumpeters seem to forget that Ole Miss, MSU, and Vandy are pretty well "W"s on every schedule year in and year out), but solid programs can and will continue to upset good ones. IMO the SEC is no tougher than the Pac 10 or Big Ten in that regard.

In your opinion. Bowl records Big Ten vs SEC last 3 years... 04: 2-1 Big Ten 05: 1-1 tie 06: 2-1 Big Ten. All of which, the SEC team was favored, exceptfor I believe the national title game from last year. Thats a 5-3 Big Ten advantage. And thats top tier teams vs top tier right there.

Top Tier? Last year is the only bowls I can recall and if I'm correct the two top tier SEC teams went to BCS bowls and both destoyed their opponent including an embarrassing loss to the Big Ten Champion. The other Big 10 top tier team to go to a BCS bowl also got humilated.

Ok so I thought your argument was deep conference? I guess top 2 must mean you're deep. And it's up for debate that LSU was as good as Michigan and Ohio State. They hang there hat on the Notre Dame home win. Michigan thumped Notre Dame just as bad, in South Bend. So that win is pretty much meaningless, and Ohio State beat Michigan. Florida beat both Ohio State and LSU. LSU shouldn't even be in the discussion from last year.

Ok so I thought your argument was deep conference? I guess top 2 must mean you're deep. And it's up for debate that LSU was as good as Michigan and Ohio State. They hang there hat on the Notre Dame home win. Michigan thumped Notre Dame just as bad, in South Bend. So that win is pretty much meaningless, and Ohio State beat Michigan. Florida beat both Ohio State and LSU. LSU shouldn't even be in the discussion from last year.

If you recall LSU won the mythical ESPN national championship last year. :D

So you want to talk deep conferences now. Check out last year's bowl records for both the SEC and Big 10 and get back to me. :D

Yeah check out the match ups, and tell me who had a tougher road to go. Purdue shouldn't have even been in a bowl game, Minnesota blew a huge lead vs a team they were underdogs too, Iowa finished 8th place, and gave Texas all they could handle, and they were a Colt McCoy injury away from being in the BCS Championship discussion with Michigan and Florida. Wisconsin and Penn State played and beat 2 almighty SEC teams, and Michigan and Ohio State played the best 2 teams in the country. Tell ya what, I wish Iowa coulda got to play Clemson, like Kentucky did, or Virginia Tech like Georgia did.

Yeah check out the match ups, and tell me who had a tougher road to go. Purdue shouldn't have even been in a bowl game, Minnesota blew a huge lead vs a team they were underdogs too, Iowa finished 8th place, and gave Texas all they could handle, and they were a Colt McCoy injury away from being in the BCS Championship discussion with Michigan and Florida. Wisconsin and Penn State played and beat 2 almighty SEC teams, and Michigan and Ohio State played the best 2 teams in the country. Tell ya what, I wish Iowa coulda got to play Clemson, like Kentucky did, or Virginia Tech like Georgia did.

I noticed you didn't want Iowa to play any SEC teams. So cut the crap and give me the two conference bowl records.