[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does Norv Turner finish the year as the SD HC?

Grits and Shins

I have long said that I think Norv Turner is a poor excuse for an OC and an even poorer excuse for a HC.

So he has taken last year's 14-2 Chargers and led them to a stellar 1-3 record. He doesn't seem to be able to grasp the concept that the way for him to win is to get LT involved in the offensive game plan early and often, never taking the foot off of that gas pedal. LT ran very well in the 1st quarter of today's game ... but for some reason Norv moved away from what had been working so well. :D

How many more losses will it take before Norv Turner is in the unemployment line?

I am STILL amazed that SD lost to KC today :D:wacko::D

I think Marty was a motivator who the team would rally around. That and the great staff they had in place last year is too much to replace...

I think the team was lost before the season even started. You can't replace a great OC, DC, and HC in an off season.

I have long said that I think Norv Turner is a poor excuse for an OC and an even poorer excuse for a HC.

So he has taken last year's 14-2 Chargers and led them to a stellar 1-3 record. He doesn't seem to be able to grasp the concept that the way for him to win is to get LT involved in the offensive game plan early and often, never taking the foot off of that gas pedal. LT ran very well in the 1st quarter of today's game ... but for some reason Norv moved away from what had been working so well. :D

Totally agree. On ESPN news, they said LT carried the ball just six times in the second half. Can Norv "Mr. Offensive Genius" explain that one? If Turner lasts more than one season out there, I'll be shocked.

Its not Turners fault that his players can't execute. Either way, the brunt of the responsibility should fall to that idiot of a g.m.

You're right, that's the guy who couldn't get along with Marty. AJ Smith, I think it is. I suspect Mr. Smith is updating his resume' right about now.

You're right, that's the guy who couldn't get along with Marty. AJ Smith, I think it is. I suspect Mr. Smith is updating his resume' right about now.

The sad thing is that he's a great GM when his ego doesn't get in the way... He traded the no.1 pick and in return got LT and Brees. He traded another no.1 and got Rivers and Merriman. He drafted a lot of those lineman that just last year were pro bowlers. He's a great talent evaluator...

The sad thing is that he's a great GM when his ego doesn't get in the way... He traded the no.1 pick and in return got LT and Brees. He traded another no.1 and got Rivers and Merriman. He drafted a lot of those lineman that just last year were pro bowlers. He's a great talent evaluator...

He lets key people leave and replaces them with lesser talents. First Brees and then Marty, the coaching staff, and Donny Edwards. I know it's a business, but the team chemistry is gone.

The talking heads were discussing which coaches were on the hot seat this year if they don't get it done and they mentioned Norv Turner as one of them because the team was 14-2 last year. That means there is no excuse but the coach if they don't do well this year. LT said it all in his press conference today by not saying hardly anything. He knows he needs the ball for this team to be successful. He had 116 yards by the 2nd quarter and then they try and get cute with Rivers throwing the ball. Bad Idea as all you have to do is look at the play where LT was wide open in the flat and Rivers prefers to stare him down and hold the ball. Happened all day long.

Did you know that KC hasn't had a Defensive touchdown is years! Rivers stopped that streak, the guy has no pocket presence at all. To think this team could have Payton Manning.............Managment will doom this team every time. It's a sad day for San Diego fans and sadly enough my wife and I are two of them.

Only hope is Norv goes 8-8 and gets the axe........here's to wishful thinking............

Edited by Cowboyz1

He lets key people leave and replaces them with lesser talents. First Brees and then Marty, the coaching staff, and Donny Edwards. I know it's a business, but the team chemistry is gone.

You can't fault him for letting Brees leave. And its not like you got some scrub in Rivers. He's young, and he's looked a lot better than Brees this year.

Donnie Edwards is a different story though. You can't deny his drafting ability though.

I can't believe I'm actually responding to a Grits post. :D why do I do this to myself. oh well, he wont see it anyway. Norv is the end all, be all for OCs. He's a god in those high glass booths, but as an HC, he's crap. Utter and comjplete crap. That being said, SD has to stick behind Norv for at least 2 years, unless they go like 4-12 or something terrible like that. I didn't understand when they let Brees go (obviously that worked out ok, but at the time, Brees was awesome) and I didn't understand this move either. I just hope when he does get the boot, he goes to CAR as the OC, because he is truly the creme de la creme of OCs

If they are like 2-6 at the halfway point and LT continues to be used incorrectly then I say Norv is shown the door.All is not lost for the Bolts though as the Raiders look like the team to beat in the tough AFC West. :D

Totally agree. On ESPN news, they said LT carried the ball just six times in the second half. Can Norv "Mr. Offensive Genius" explain that one?

Funny thing is, that's exactly the issue I had with the play-off game that got Marty fired. SD was leading in the second half, they'd run LT on 1st down, he'd gain 5 yds, and then they passed every time on 2nd down.

Dude's getting you 5 yds per carry. It's 2nd and freaking 5, you do the math. Not to mention the clock keeps ticking.

It does seem rather odd that they just don't feed LT the rock all day.

The talking heads were discussing which coaches were on the hot seat this year if they don't get it done and they mentioned Norv Turner as one of them because the team was 14-2 last year. That means there is no excuse but the coach if they don't do well this year. LT said it all in his press conference today by not saying hardly anything. He knows he needs the ball for this team to be successful. He had 116 yards by the 2nd quarter and then they try and get cute with Rivers throwing the ball. Bad Idea as all you have to do is look at the play where LT was wide open in the flat and Rivers prefers to stare him down and hold the ball. Happened all day long.

Did you know that KC hasn't had a Defensive touchdown is years! Rivers stopped that streak, the guy has no pocket presence at all. To think this team could have Payton Manning.............Managment will doom this team every time. It's a sad day for San Diego fans and sadly enough my wife and I are two of them.

Only hope is Norv goes 8-8 and gets the axe........here's to wishful thinking............

The Chargers never had a shot AT P. Manning. Where do you get this from? The Colts picked BEFORE tjhe Chargers, they picked Manning, the Chargers picked Leaf. This sent the team in an uncontrollable downward spiral FOR ALMOST A DECADE!

I can't believe I'm actually responding to a Grits post. :D why do I do this to myself. oh well, he wont see it anyway. Norv is the end all, be all for OCs. He's a god in those high glass booths, but as an HC, he's crap. Utter and comjplete crap. That being said, SD has to stick behind Norv for at least 2 years, unless they go like 4-12 or something terrible like that. I didn't understand when they let Brees go (obviously that worked out ok, but at the time, Brees was awesome) and I didn't understand this move either. I just hope when he does get the boot, he goes to CAR as the OC, because he is truly the creme de la creme of OCs

The Brees thing was a mistake before they let him go. Why they decided that they needed another QB in the draft was the screw up. Brees took the fall for the fact that he couldn't lead a basically bad team in his 1st two years. He had no WRs, Gates hadn't emerged, yet somehow it was Brees' fault. I mean, way to give the guy a chance. Imagine if they took Roy Williams and stuck with Brees, they'd be freaking insane.

4 years in SD and you can't even spell his name right? It's DONNIE :D

To think this team could have Payton Manning.............Managment will doom this team every time. It's a sad day for San Diego fans and sadly enough my wife and I are two of them.

The Chargers never had a shot AT P. Manning. Where do you get this from? The Colts picked BEFORE tjhe Chargers, they picked Manning, the Chargers picked Leaf. This sent the team in an uncontrollable downward spiral FOR ALMOST A DECADE!

Ok, McBoog beat me too it.........Colt's had the #1 pick that year, and the decision was between Peyton and Leaf. Well, actually, there was no decision there........The Colt's looked at Leaf because he was projected up there, but Peyton was the pick from the get go......

The staff that he assembled in SD also sucks balls.

Of course it does, they assembled it after everyone worth a damn had already been hired.

The Chargers blew this one big. The timing on the coaching change shot them in the foot. It was way too late in the game to get anyone worth hiring. As I recall, this all came down because Spanos was tired of hearing AJ and Marty feuding all the time. Weak.

In addition, it sounds to me that guys like LT2 are pissed Marty was ousted.

They'll probably put it together somewhat this year, but wow. I'm just disappointed. So much potential and talent. To be Turner-ized like that.

And such sweet new uni's btw! Couldn't they have gone with the baby blues though? Those are still my favorite. And Tomlinson with the Vader mask.