[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The AFC/NFC balance of power shifting?

bushwacked

Doesn't look like the AFC is nearly as overpowering in recent years relative to the NFC.

The Pats, Colts, Cowboys currently appear to be a notch above everyone else. But there appears to be roughly the same amount of decent to good teams in the AFC (Pats, Colts, Pittsburgh, Titans, Jags, Browns, Ravens) as the NFC (Cowboys, Packers, Buccaneers, Hawks, Washington, Detroit, Arizona).

Edited by bushwacked

The only difference from the beginning of the season is that the chargers blow. Other than that, i don't see much of a change. The Pats and Colts are on another level from anyone else and there's probably a 90% chance that one of those teams wins the super bowl (barring some drastic injury(s)

Whoa, did you just toss Washington, Detroit and Arizona into the "good team" category? Did you just compare them equally to the Titans and Ravens? C'mon now. (And where the heck did the Browns come from??)

Inadvertently, you pretty much just made the case for the AFC's superiority. Plus, in the NFC, doesn't it seem like other than the Cowboys, any one of those teams can beat the other in any given week? There's no other team, except for possibly the Packers (so far), that comes out and consistently performs well.

Whoa, did you just toss Washington, Detroit and Arizona into the "good team" category?

No, those would be the seemingly decent teams in the "decent to good" category. Just like the Titans, Ravens, and Browns.

There's no other team, except for possibly the Packers (so far), that comes out and consistently performs well.

And how many teams in the AFC are consistently performing well thus far?

Edited by bushwacked

The Browns and Cardinals are still inconsistent. And Washington isn't so hot either. Teams performing consistently well in the AFC: Pats, Colts, Steelers, Titans. Teams performing consistently well in the NFC: Cowboys, Packers. What's more, if you rank the top 10 teams in the NFL, at least 6 or 7 are in the AFC.

Teams performing consistently well in the AFC: Pats, Colts, Steelers, Titans. Teams performing consistently well in the NFC: Cowboys, Packers. What's more, if you rank the top 10 teams in the NFL, at least 6 or 7 are in the AFC.

My whole premise of the thread is that the AFC doesn't appear to have a preponderance of better teams than the NFC, compared to the past few years. I think it's rather obvious.

But, if you are going to argue the Titans are performing consistently how can you leave out the 3-1 Bucs who have almost have twice as many points then they have given up? If you are going to claim the 3-1 Steelers are performing well how can you leave out th 3-1 Seahawks who lost to the exact same team on the road?

The Titans are up there because the only game they lost was by 2 points to the defending Super Bowl champions. The Bucs got spanked by the Seahawks, and their only quality win came last week against a Carolina team that can't decide whether it wants to be great or terrible. Beating up on the Rams is no grand achievement.

The Seahawks would certainly be in my top 10, but they haven't been playing on the same level as the other aforementioned 6 teams. Before this previous week, the question was "what's wrong with the Seahawks?" The Steelers blew out 3 teams (admittedly not very good ones), and their only loss came against a team employing much of Pittsburgh's coaching staff from last year. That's a definite advantage.

Again, in my opinion, 4 of the top 6 teams right now are from the AFC, and at least 6 of the top 10.

I don't usually make a habit of defending Bushwacked, but, based on the context of the post, I don't think he is saying that the NFC is now better or even as good as the AFC. He is just saying that the gap is getting smaller. It's early, but, so far, I'd have to agree with him.

The only difference from the beginning of the season is that the chargers blow. Other than that, i don't see much of a change. The Pats and Colts are on another level from anyone else and there's probably a 90% chance that one of those teams wins the super bowl (barring some drastic injury(s)

How are the Colts and Pats on another level. Indy was what 8 or 9 and 0 lst yr heading into Dallas, and Dallas beat them up. This Dallas team is alot better than last yr, and The Colts dont look nearly as good to me, especially throwing the ball. What have the Pats done that Dallas hasnt. Dallas is the highest scoring team in the NFL,, and have gotten better and better on defense every week, to the tune of a shut out this past week. So what happens when Dallas punks the Pats in 2 weeks, will they finally get some love from the masses then. :D

Before this previous week, the question was "what's wrong with the Seahawks?

They scored 20 unanswered points on the road against the Cardinals and then lost after playing Keystone Cops/Tony Romo when they were about to kick a game winning FG.

The Bucs got spanked by the Seahawks, and their only quality win came last week against a Carolina team that can't decide whether it wants to be great or terrible. Beating up on the Rams is no grand achievement.

The Steelers blew out 3 teams (admittedly not very good ones), and their only loss came against a team employing much of Pittsburgh's coaching staff from last year. That's a definite advantage.

The Steelers most definitely look solid, but also haven't played a really good team as of yet.

To clarify, I'm not trying to make a grandiose statement about the NFC eclipsing the AFC. But the early returns are in, and they indicate that parity in the NFL is effecting both conferences more than years past.

Edited by bushwacked

The Browns and Cardinals are still inconsistent. And Washington isn't so hot either. Teams performing consistently well in the AFC: Pats, Colts, Steelers, Titans. Teams performing consistently well in the NFC: Cowboys, Packers. What's more, if you rank the top 10 teams in the NFL, at least 6 or 7 are in the AFC.

based on the superior play by Indy & NE- the AFC is still better- but I do think the gap is narrowing. I love how people forget to include Seattle, keep it up....... I would rank the top 5 as of now......

NE

INDY

DAL

GB

SEA

Whoa, did you just toss Washington, Detroit and Arizona into the "good team" category? Did you just compare them equally to the Titans and Ravens? C'mon now. (And where the heck did the Browns come from??)

Inadvertently, you pretty much just made the case for the AFC's superiority. Plus, in the NFC, doesn't it seem like other than the Cowboys, any one of those teams can beat the other in any given week? There's no other team, except for possibly the Packers (so far), that comes out and consistently performs well.

you have got to be joking with this.......

I would absolutely group Det and Az equally with Tenn and Balt.

based on the superior play by Indy & NE- the AFC is still better- but I do think the gap is narrowing. I love how people forget to include Seattle, keep it up....... I would rank the top 5 as of now......

NE

INDY

DAL

GB

SEA

We'll see........ :D

I don't usually make a habit of defending Bushwacked, but, based on the context of the post, I don't think he is saying that the NFC is now better or even as good as the AFC. He is just saying that the gap is getting smaller. It's early, but, so far, I'd have to agree with him.

Love is in the air this week!

The problem with looking at the balance of power is that the NFC hasn't won the big one since the Rams did so IIRC.

I think it will take that before people recognize that the gap isn't as big as anyone thinks.

Tampa Bay won SB XXXVII after the 2002 season.

Tampa Bay won SB XXXVII after the 2002 season.

yes...that is true.

Superbowl champ recount: 8 of the last 10 for the AFC.

Colts

Steelers

Pats

Pats

Bucs

Pats

Ravens

Rams

Broncos

Broncos

All I am saying is that I think that list of teams clouds people's judgement about how close the conferences are. There have been a lot of good teams in the NFC.

I also think that the problem is that there have been more bad teams in the NFC than in the AFC, and that makes the interconference record skewed. I don't think the gap at the top is that much at all.