[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

M.Barber's value moving forward?

msaint

Great offense. Goal line back most of the time. JJ not a real threat. So what's stopping this guy from being an every week #1 fantasy RB? Is it the mere presence of JJ? Seems that with all the "stud" RB's dropping like flies/underperforming, and the other first/early second round RB's sucking (Bush, MJD, Benson), Barber could easily be your #1 RB moving forward. Agree? Disagree?:D

Great offense. Goal line back most of the time. JJ not a real threat. So what's stopping this guy from being an every week #1 fantasy RB? Is it the mere presence of JJ? Seems that with all the "stud" RB's dropping like flies/underperforming, and the other first/early second round RB's sucking (Bush, MJD, Benson), Barber could easily be your #1 RB moving forward. Agree? Disagree?:D

I think when the Cowboys play a solid team, Barber's value skyrockets. When they play a team they will roll over, his value may dip. Odd reasoning, I know, but look at last Sunday:

They were obviously going to pound the Rams, and JJ had a better than average day (for him)...they even left him in the game so he could actually score a rushing touchdown. Any other game, that TD is Barber's. Perhaps they wanted to massage JJ's ego, and let him have some time in the spotlight?

I'd look for Barber to continue to be the better of the two RBs...but because of the split time, he can't really be anything better than a solid #2.

.....and I'm still P.O's at him for his Week 15 performance last year :D

It is going to be hit or miss all season clearly. They rotate series and the series that JJ scored on was his.............they would not have ran MBIII out there when they got to the goal line for the MBIII TD. The Cowboys have been saying all year that they were going to leave JJ in inside the 20 more this year and they held to their word.

I have JJ on my squad and as a Dallas fan it sux as you never know who is gonna score any given week between the 2. All I know, as a Dallas fan first, it is great knowing that we have 2 guys (in my opinion) that can go 3 downs if one was to get hurt.

I want anybody with a star on the helmet on my team. Even with shared carries this offense should continue to support plenty of fantasy points to go around. The way things are shaking out this year, Barber should absolutely be considered #1 material.

The only pause I have with Barber is that he runs with such reckless abandon, and I wonder how long he will last in this "season of injury." But he has been durable so far, so he seems as safe a bet as anybody.

I think when the Cowboys play a solid team, Barber's value skyrockets. When they play a team they will roll over, his value may dip. Odd reasoning, I know, but look at last Sunday:

They were obviously going to pound the Rams, and JJ had a better than average day (for him)...they even left him in the game so he could actually score a rushing touchdown. Any other game, that TD is Barber's. Perhaps they wanted to massage JJ's ego, and let him have some time in the spotlight?

I'd look for Barber to continue to be the better of the two RBs...but because of the split time, he can't really be anything better than a solid #2.

.....and I'm still P.O's at him for his Week 15 performance last year :D

I agree with this line of thinking..If its a tight game at the 2 yd line Barbers getting in..If they are rolling at the 2 they may give JJ a taste

2 reasons for this:

1) You preserve your better RB for more touches later in the season by limiting his touches early on. The easiest way to do this is to give the lesser RB more work when the game is seemingly in hand, and

2) You can increase the lesser RB's value by getting him more work when it doesn't harm the team, and you can make his stats look better against weaker competition. That's a double edged sword. If you increase his value you can get more in a trade; however, it may cost the team more in negotiations if they decide to keep him.

If you increase his value you can get more in a trade; however, it may cost the team more in negotiations if they decide to keep him.

exactly, good point...JJ is in a contract year, after all.

2 reasons for this:

1) You preserve your better RB for more touches later in the season by limiting his touches early on. The easiest way to do this is to give the lesser RB more work when the game is seemingly in hand, and

2) You can increase the lesser RB's value by getting him more work when it doesn't harm the team, and you can make his stats look better against weaker competition. That's a double edged sword. If you increase his value you can get more in a trade; however, it may cost the team more in negotiations if they decide to keep him.

Agree 100% with point #1...when the game is in hand, and Dallas isn't so worried about passing on 3rd-downs, and the plan is to just kill clock running ht eball, I think we'll see more JJ than MBIII. Why risk injury to the better of the two RBs?

But I'm not so sure about point #2. I can't imagine the coaching staff is really thinking about increasing or decreasing the value of a player as the game is in progress...but who knows? Maybe they did indeed discuss it prior to the game...give JJ some extra carries, and in this injury-riddled year of the RB, perhaps they can increase his trade value.

I think your first reason is more on point. And I also think they need to boost the guys confidence...can you imagine being JJ, and listening to about every media outlet there is saying you suck cow-chips? The extra carries and TD probably felt pretty good to him.

I just traded for him last week in my local. Hoping he's what pushes my RB corp over the top with Bush, AD, and Benson. I'm currently in talks with owner of Thomas Jones and trying to unload Benson and Winslow for him.

I think fantasy owners are a lot more concerned about the split between MBIII and JU than anybody in the Cowboys organization, including MBIII and JJ. The have an offensive scheme that is working very well, scoring lots of points and resulting in 4 wins to no losses.

Obviously WP has been asked this question several times. HIs response has been along the lines of each back has his own style and strengths. Each back has a package of plays that are designed to take advantage of their particular style and strengths. The game situation dictates the appropriate play to call ... which in turn determines which back will be in at any given time.

Having said that MBIII has had an increased work load due to the mild concussions experienced by JJ. Without the concussions I expect we would have seen a more even split of carries to this point.

Dallas is not going to "fix" something that is not broken and will continue to employ a RBBC as it has proven to work very well.

I think fantasy owners are a lot more concerned about the split between MBIII and JU than anybody in the Cowboys organization, including MBIII and JJ. The have an offensive scheme that is working very well, scoring lots of points and resulting in 4 wins to no losses.

Obviously WP has been asked this question several times. HIs response has been along the lines of each back has his own style and strengths. Each back has a package of plays that are designed to take advantage of their particular style and strengths. The game situation dictates the appropriate play to call ... which in turn determines which back will be in at any given time.

Having said that MBIII has had an increased work load due to the mild concussions experienced by JJ. Without the concussions I expect we would have seen a more even split of carries to this point.

Dallas is not going to "fix" something that is not broken and will continue to employ a RBBC as it has proven to work very well.

Completely agree with what you said. JJ is not durable and he's already proving that yet once again.

That's a reasonable argument, but there is also merit to putting your best talent on the field and letting them make plays - especially for a seemingly playoff bound team, and it would be difficult to argue that Barber isn't the better of the two RBs in almost any situation on the field.

That's a reasonable argument, but there is also merit to putting your best talent on the field and letting them make plays - especially for a seemingly playoff bound team, and it would be difficult to argue that Barber isn't the better of the two RBs in almost any situation on the field.

I expect that the coaching staff in Dallas believes that each back has something to offer at different times in the game ... so at any given time for the play that is called they do have their best talent on the field. I also expect that there is a feeling that with both backs sharing the load you increase the chances of both backs staying healthy.

I also expect if JJ were to get hurt you'd see the work load split between Barber and Thompson.

I also expect if JJ were to get hurt you'd see the work load split between Barber and Thompson.

From what I've seen of both Barber & Jones in their respective careers, it already seems foolhardy giving Jones anything more than respite touches to rest Barber or give him a chance to shake off an injury. To think that Thompson would take a significant number of carries in replacing an injured Jones smacks of stupidity.

That said, after all, Jones is the owner & Phillips is the coach...

I just traded for him last week in my local. Hoping he's what pushes my RB corp over the top with Bush, AD, and Benson. I'm currently in talks with owner of Thomas Jones and trying to unload Benson and Winslow for him.

How many RBs do you start? I'm not so sure I wouldn't just hold tight with Barber, AD, and Bush (and Benson) instead of trading for Tom Jones and losing Winslow when the CLE offense seems to be rocking.

How many RBs do you start? I'm not so sure I wouldn't just hold tight with Barber, AD, and Bush (and Benson) instead of trading for Tom Jones and losing Winslow when the CLE offense seems to be rocking.

3 is Max. I have Winslow and Witten, don't need em both. I really like Jones upcoming schedule. Can't get the LJ owner to unload him so this was my next move. This is PPR of course.

From what I've seen of both Barber & Jones in their respective careers, it already seems foolhardy giving Jones anything more than respite touches to rest Barber or give him a chance to shake off an injury. To think that Thompson would take a significant number of carries in replacing an injured Jones smacks of stupidity.

That said, after all, Jones is the owner & Phillips is the coach...

You must have forgot Jones' rookie season. Remember when they would actually RUN draw plays for him. I haven't seen JJ run a draw play in 12 games. JJ is actually more durable than advertised. 33 touches for 88 yards against a stout Balt D. in 2004. I dunno...I like MBIII....but I feel that JJ has a better shot at having a longer and better career. I think in the right system...one that uses his vision versus his brawn...he is the better producing back....like Dallas saw the latter half of the 2004 season...why not go ask the Seahawks how good Jones is?