[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steven Mann's Add & Avoid

stevenmann

My Thoughts through the Wire… Week 5

Add/Applaud/Appease/Admire

BREAKING NEWS: http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/c...e-with-vikings/

Door #1: Michael Pittman or Earnest Graham

Unless you consumed a 40 of Nyquil yesterday, and woke up this am next to a Dairy Goat, you’ve probably heard that Cadillac Williams tore his patella tendon ending his season and perhaps even his career. (Honestly despite the shtick, I feel really bad for him and sincerely wish him a speedy recovery)

For me, the only ‘good’ thing to come out of this is closure. Having Cadillac on my team for 3 years makes me once…twice… three times a looser! Cadillac has been the disappointing/frustrating player I’ve ever owned in my FF history. Cadillac Williams had become the football equivalent of the little engine that just couldn’t.

As of this moment I am not sure who the better addition is. I posted a poll and so far it reflects a slight edge to Pittman. It’ll be interesting to see how that plays out. There’s some really interesting opinion and analysis there from other junkies. Take a look at what your Brethren believe (Psst: I voted Pittman)

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...p;#entry2211541

So who’s the better cuff? Graham? Or Pittman? I plucked Pittman with my last pick this year in order to cuff the Cadillac, and at this point I’m sticking with ‘em. I personally think Pittman produces decent numbers when he gets the chance.

However, in order to remain noncommittal, it’s also hard to ignore what Graham has done so far this year in limited duty. Especially the TD’s. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7108/g...PLJBBQBy5f.uLYF

This is could be a complete crap shoot. Like most of you, I can see a potential RBBC here. If you owned Caddy, and already have Pittman try and grab Graham, or vice versa. Just pray that you won’t need to use either. I’d also wish that one of them steps up and distances himself from the other (Sooner than later, I still say Pittman). For me personally, when Caddy went down, I lost my 3rd RB… A tough blow to my overall depth no doubt, but not a season killer. I hope you’re in the same boat. What’s next for Caddy other than surgery and a lengthy rehab? A few ideas:

http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=churchsignqv0.jpg

http://captions.illmeyer.com/?do=8;61226;4IKSfA

http://captions.illmeyer.com/?do=22;61228;rgRuLw

Survey Says: Add: Pittman, Graham or even both. Hell, while you’re at it try adding B.J. Askew, Kenneth Darby, and Mike Alstott. WHEW now you’re covered. Flip a coin. … Cross your fingers… think about doing volunteer work… defend your country… Feed the homeless and give a kid a Christmas. You’ll need at least a week to gauge how the carries will be distributed. What ever happens I Hope you’re right.

P.S. The St. Petersburg Times wrote this.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2007/10/cadillac-petitg.html

Door # 2 Andre’ Davis:

Last week I wrote about Kevin Walter. I thought he’d be a decent spot start Vs. ATL. As it turns out he wasn’t such a bad call, 6 passes for 77 yards. (A holding penalty by Ephraim Salaam also negated A TD to Walter in the end zone) However I’ve fallen off the Walter Train and hopped onto the Davis Bandwagon faster than a speed talker hooked on home grown amphetamines.

After a 4 catch 70 yard game, Davis followed it up going 5 for 117 and a TD. It’s become quite clear who the playmaker and more valuable WR is. Even with AJ returning sooner than later, Davis may have unseeded JJ as the clear cut #2. After getting shut out weeks 1 and 2. Davis came back with 187 yards and 1 TD in weeks 3 and 4. (93.5 per game average) The fact that I’ve endorsed 2 Texas WR’s not named Andre in 2 consecutive weeks is vexing indeed. What a strange year it’ been. What’s next? The Atlanta WR’s getting some love? Gimmie a break, chances are that Lil Jon will ghost write a Parental Self-Help book called “Gett’n Crunk’d with your Kids” before that ever happens. Lets not get crazy here people. (PS. Take a closer look at Jenkins as well as White… Shhh you didn’t hear it from me).

Survey Says: Applaud

The Texans are home to Miami in week 5. Meaning it could be a tougher match-up as the Miami D is currently 3rd overall against the pass (145 yards per game). But if ya need a fill in (and AJ is out again) you could do a lot worse.

Door #3 Joey Harrington:

Although I was pleasantly surprised by Trent Edwards on Sunday, I have been stone cold stunned at the back to back stat lines put up by Joey Harrington. Last 2 starts; 584 yards 4 TD’s ZERO ints! That’s insane! Had you told me that after 3 games Brees would have 7 Int's and thru 4 Harrington would have 2, I would have given generously to your cause and done anything possible to ensure you received the treatment you so rightfully deserve.

So far this season Harrington is 7th overall in yards passing with a 71.2 completion percentage. His 98.2 quarterback rating so far better than Carson Palmer, Brett Favre and Matt Hasselback. Shocking numbers to say the least.

3 quick things I would have predicted would happen before recommending Joey Harrington;

1) Ricky Williams releases an audio book called. “ 3 Strikes, 4 chances and 10 simple ways to cultivate hemp within your lower intestine” (Then signs with Chicago)

2) Bob Saget signs a lengthy contract with ‘Def Jam’ and begins a nationwide tour with Young Leek.

3) The entire on stage security staff from ‘The Springer Show’ are hired by The CIA in order to help alleviate the tension and fighting in Bangladesh.

Bottom line is despite Lord Byron in town, ATL would be foolish to interrupt what seems to be Joey Harrington’s coming of average. Next week Mcnabb, Palmer, and Culpepper all have a bye week. From what I’ve seen the last 14 days you could do a lot worse than Joey. (Insert David Carr Diss here) If you have better options roll with them, but as far as adding depth this may pay off when you least expect it.

Survey says: Admire… Don’t know how long this will last, but Joey’s worth a shot. (Did I really say that?) Now please excuse me as I replenish my fanny pack with Lithium and fruit breezers.

Door #4 Patrick Crayton:

Playing with a dislocated finger in week 3 Vs. Chicago, Patrick Crayton did his best ‘Jackie Smith’ impersonation, giving thousands of Cowboy fans a chance to reminisce. http://www.dallasnews.com/img/photo/09-02/r17.jpg

PC straight up ‘crapped the hammock’ 3 passes for 27 yards and a dropped touchdown. In week 4 Vs. the Rams, (How soon we forget) PC redeemed himself by catching seven passes for a gaudy 184 yards and two touchdowns! That was against a Rams pass D that allows 192.3 yards per game. In week 5 Crayton goes against a banged up Buffalo D that has allowed 282.3. (Almost 100 yards more). To say the Buffalo D is banged up right now is like saying Sri Lanka is a light Reno project. It’s a total mess…Tony Romo-Underwood owners should be salivating. Plug your PC in this week… Happy Trails…

Survey Says: Appease

If you are in a head to head league with more than 1 team this cat probably isn’t even on the wire. However if he’s out there still, claim him NOW and enjoy a decent day Vs. Buffalo next week! Crayton seems to consistently draw single coverage thanks to T.O. and that’s good news for current and future Crayton claimers. Oh and Tony Romo is the QB, he’s not bad incentive either.

Also keep your Eyes peeled for the following.

-Corey Dillon, Tikki Barber, Ricky Williams, and any other RB… Alive or dead, with legs or prosthetics, that has been allegedly contacted by TB.

Read this on Rotoworld. “ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Bucs contacted free agent Corey Dillon after learning that Cadillac Williams would miss the season. Dillon has reportedly been staying in shape on his own, but turned down the Bucs' offer. There also are rumors making the rounds that the Bucs might inquire about Tiki Barber, whose brother Ronde is a cornerback for Tampa.

As far as Tikki goes, your guess is as good as mine. I just don’t know. Is it worth a shot? Why Not! If you have a spot to stash ‘em without interrupting or neglecting your current needs I say do it. Same goes for Dillon who I assume has a better chance to return this year (Chicago? Or GB?) At any rate, hopefully these rumors will get squashed sooner than later. And we’ll be back to the Pittman Vs. Graham debate. As far as other ‘comeback’ options, keep your eyes peeled for Dalton Hilliard, Sammy Winder, and Elvis Peacock. You heard it here first.

-Anthony Gonzalez WR Indy –

Rotoworld reported this afternoon “Colts coach Tony Dungy said Monday that Marvin Harrison (bruised knee), Joseph Addai (bruised shoulder), Bob Sanders (bruised ribs), and Rob Morris (knee) all may miss practices this week or the team's Week 5 game. ESPN's Quadry Ismail speculated Monday that Harrison's injury looked like "an MCL," or knee sprain, a similar injury to the one suffered by Andre Johnson.”

If Marvin is to miss a good chunk of time, I think this kid is worth a closer look. Reggie & Dallas Clark would seem to benefit the most, but with Payton calling the shots there should be enough to go around to keep ‘em all fat and giggly. After all my blind cousin Ethel could put up 75 yards and a TD with Payton taking the snaps, and she wears Orthotics and has shin splints that look like softwood lumber. Keep your eyes on the Marvin injury situation.

-Michael Jenkins- WR ATL

To be honest I wouldn’t add Jenkins to my face book page let alone my fantasy roster. Jenkins, fresh off his big game (six passes for 64 yards and two touchdowns) is going to be considered a hot pick-up this week. Ya, Ya, Ya, I know he has good size but who cares! Patti Labelle has good size and she’s got no place in my life either. Take a look because everyone else is, but proceed with caution.

Keep tracking….

- Bowe WR: K.C. (shame on you for not doing it last week)

- Sammy Morris: RB NE (Maroney is not active for Monday)

- Correll Buckhalter: RB Philly (Westbrook has a muscle tear in his abdomen.)

- Giants D: Have a decent schedule the next few weeks. Come on how can you ignore lat night!

- Arizona D: (looked good against Pitt, have the Rams in week 5)

- Tennessee D (ATL next coming off a big game vs. N.O.)

- Ike Hilliard: WR TB Last week 7 for 114? Ike Hilliard? Really???

- Craig Davis: WR SD (Eric Parker out)

- Quinn Sypniewski: TE BAL (Heap may miss time)

- Trent Edwards: QB Buff

- Visanthe Shiancoe: TE Min

I’ll add more names as the week proceeds.

Stay away from the following:

David Carr: ‘Breaking News’

You won’t need a forensic pathologist to help determine the lack of evidence pointing to David Carr being a professional Quarter Back. Saying his last game was disgusting is simply an understatement. People who eat horse are disgusting, what David Carr did on Sunday was just shameful.

I’ve seen narcoleptics’ play with more pep then David Carr. David Carr couldn’t even pass as a reasonably hand drawn facsimile of a starting QB. D.C. Makes Rex Grossman look like Brian Greeise… Brian Grieese makes Derek Anderson look like Joe Namath, and Joe Namath makes my brother in law seem sober. That’s a scary equation. If you see Carr on your wire this week, get real close, then flip him the bird on behalf of all the Steve Smith owners everywhere.

Brian Griese:

The only person that should be happy today is Muhsin Muhammad. In week 4. Moose flipped the script and took us back to the glory days of 2004. (Ok maybe I’m overreacting) Those were the days when Eli was exchanged for Rivers, Merriman and Kaeding, Ashlee Simpson had relevance, and Muhsin Muhammad was deemed roster worthy. If you consider adding Griese this week you must be in a 30 team 5 QB league.

Let me put this in remedial terms... Watching Brian Griese play QB is a forceful action accomplished by a fierce, downward contraction of the diaphragm. At the same time, the abdominal muscles tighten against the stomach and the contents are propelled up and out. Stay clear of Griese… If you need a QB take a look at Edwards in Buff.

Muhsin Muhammad:

See above and steer clear. I’d rather take a shot at A. Davis in Houston is he’s still available. However if you do decide to take a shot on Moose… We all wish you well… Enjoy your Todd Pinkston. Sweet Dreams…

Kurt Warner:

I thought Kurt was worth a look last week, after he showed himself well Vs. Baltimore. Yes he also looked decent this past week as well. However this situation is getting stranger each week. It looks like a QBBC. A QBBC? Suffering succotash! is that? This isn’t baseball! I’m looking for Mussina and Rivera here! I got no place for that on my team. Leinart was quoted as saying that he wants the Cardinals "to ride or die with me" Matt should spend less time trying to sound like Jay-Z and more time watching Kurt play. I vote for Kurt, but I’m dropping him this week.

Trent Dilfer:

Great guy, Good Analyst, Lousy QB. Keep canvassing. I admit I like Trent. On the other hand you’ll need Google Earth to assist you in finding any potential or upside in this situation. Look away!

Good Luck On Sunday Gentlemen.

Steven Mann.

Edited by stevenmann