[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints RB rotation

rajncajn

In the running back rotation, will you give Reggie Bush more carries or will Aaron Stecker take over Deuce's role?

"Reggie will get more carries. Stecker will be involved and Pierre Thomas will be involved, but you'll see Reggie get more handoffs."

Is this his opportunity to show that he can be an every-down NFL back?

"More than he has been as a ball-carrier. We'll still have to monitor how many runs that is, but you'll see him more from the running back position."

Can you learn anything from how Philadelphia has used Brian Westbrook?

"They do a good job with his numbers and his balance. He's someone that's used not only at running back like Reggie, but he's someone who can go out in space. He's a big part of what they do offensively. He's someone that would be a model. When he's healthy, he's one of the more dynamic offensive players in our league for a lot of reasons."

Do you have an optimal number of carries in mind for Reggie?

"We'll have a chance to see Reggie from the running back position more consistently. Not exclusively, though; there are some things that we want to do with him that we've done in the past, so that's the mindset. From a numbers standpoint, you're still looking at a similar number of touches but maybe not as many receptions and some more carries - 18 to 20. We're not going to sit there and hand it to him 35 times though. We're not going to do that. Aaron is someone that has a lot of experience and someone that is durable and dependable. Pierre Thomas is someone that we're not afraid to play. You'll see those three guys in some way, shape, or form and we'll see how it goes."

Will his role on offense take away from his use on special teams?

"It may take away from some punt, we'll see."

Are you confident that you can still run inside without Deuce?

"Yes. I think the runners can do that."

Do you see any similarities between Reggie Bush and Tiki Barber?

"The similarities would be that from 1999 to 2000, Tiki went from being that "nickel" running back to more of a first and second down player. I think there were some concerns or questions of whether he could do that. I'm confident that Reggie can do that. We'll try to use him wisely and use him to give us the best chance to score points. I think he's ready for the challenge."

"not afraid to play" Pierre Thomas. Not sure that means he is in line to get 5-10 carries a game. Wonder if he is worth a flier on the off chance he ends up as the new "Shake" to Bush's "Bake".

Sounds like Stecker will see more than Pierre (not much of a football name either)

I also think Bush is more "shake" and Stecker will be "bake"

it blows my mind how specific some of these coaches (and players) get with giving out info!!

right down to the number of touches??!!....what?!!

guess i'm used to the gag order and the verbal dancing Belichick and the Patriots offer...

but it does seem to be working

Edited by pig devilz

"not afraid to play" Pierre Thomas. Not sure that means he is in line to get 5-10 carries a game. Wonder if he is worth a flier on the off chance he ends up as the new "Shake" to Bush's "Bake".

I won't say it's not impossible because PT was pretty impressive when he played...albeit it was preseason. However I don't think we will get a true feel for what his contribution will be until after a game or two.

Sounds like Stecker will see more than Pierre (not much of a football name either)

I also think Bush is more "shake" and Stecker will be "bake"

I wouldn't bet on that. I think they will both get equal opportunity and I'm glad you put so much stock in a players name. :D

it blows my mind how specific some of these coaches (and players) get with giving out info!!

right down to the number of touches??!!....what?!!

guess i'm used to the gag order and the verbal dancing Belichick and the Patriots offer...

but it does seem to be working

That doesn't necessarily mean that is what's going to happen, I could see Bush getting as many as 25 carries if the running game is working.

I havent seen much of Pierre,but I was thinking they would just plug in Stecker to Deuces role and when Bush is in the backfield use Stecker as the slash.
I can tell you that is not what's going to happen. Bush is now the primary RB & he will get the major bulk of the carries. Stecker & PT will only be change-of-pace backs.

The reason I see upside for Pierre Thomas is that if the Saints actually try to make an honest RB out of Bush, the will kill him. I believe Thomas will be the only guy left standing remotely qualified as a possible #1RB to take on the role.

Suffering succotash!? the guy wins the heisman- has been in the league for two years-- and they treat him like some fragile child...

let reggie run for chirstsakes---- what the hell are they waiting for??? here is a prime opportunity for him to pay off-- it always seemed like they held him back only because they were so beholden to deuce--- guess what-- deuce is gone... give reggie the ball... what is he- some kind of pu$$y????

i am getting tired of this delicate handling--- is he a man or not?

Suffering succotash!? the guy wins the heisman- has been in the league for two years-- and they treat him like some fragile child...

let reggie run for chirstsakes---- what the hell are they waiting for??? here is a prime opportunity for him to pay off-- it always seemed like they held him back only because they were so beholden to deuce--- guess what-- deuce is gone... give reggie the ball... what is he- some kind of pu$$y????

Amen

i don't have Reggie and i don't care either way...however, i'm not sure where this notion that Reggie can't handle 20+ per game comes from. why? -because he never did it before? same with alot of other young backs. -and then some of them step-up and do it!

...and some dont:)

cowboy up reggie...

what are you afraid of.... ???????

this is football.... run the ball....

Says the 5'-6", 110 lb soaking wet, pimple-faced stud behind the comfort of his keyboard. :D

:D

This is one of the funniest posts I've seen recently. Wasn't meant to be, but nonetheless...

Stecker has has chances in the past to be a fill-in featured RB. He has sucked at it. When he gets double digit carries in a game, his ypc is south of the 4.0 Mason-Dixon line at 3.96. If you throw out games against teams that are not in the bottom 6 in the NFL in rushing D at the time, his double digit carry ypc drops to 2.65 ypc.

Stecker is nothing more than a special teamer who can give a team a few carries here & there. It is improbable that Bush will be able to absorb a full load, so either another RB is going to have to soak up a bunch of carries, or NO will have to throw the ball a lot more.

If you're looking for a sleeper RB to take advantage of an opportunity, Thomas is your guy - not Stecker.

Stecker has has chances in the past to be a fill-in featured RB. He has sucked at it. When he gets double digit carries in a game, his ypc is south of the 4.0 Mason-Dixon line at 3.96. If you throw out games against teams that are not in the bottom 6 in the NFL in rushing D at the time, his double digit carry ypc drops to 2.65 ypc.

Stecker is nothing more than a special teamer who can give a team a few carries here & there. It is improbable that Bush will be able to absorb a full load, so either another RB is going to have to soak up a bunch of carries, or NO will have to throw the ball a lot more.

If you're looking for a sleeper RB to take advantage of an opportunity, Thomas is your guy - not Stecker.

Agree with this, but of course as a Saints fan I believe the jury is still definitely out on Bush being able to be the primary guy. Anybody can speculate that he won't, but the truth is he's never been given that opportunity until now. I know it's just homer optimism, but I really think Bush is going to prove the naysayers wrong. I don't think he will ever be a 25 carry RB, but truthfully, in today's NFL few RBs are.

Like I said in another thread. Pierre is the man. Dude looked seriously explosive in the pre-season. I dont know how well he will run inside the tackles though. IIRC, he was used more as an outside runner in the games I saw. I am excited to see what he can do in the regular season.

Like I said in another thread. Pierre is the man. Dude looked seriously explosive in the pre-season. I dont know how well he will run inside the tackles though. IIRC, he was used more as an outside runner in the games I saw. I am excited to see what he can do in the regular season.

I don't know if Pierre is the man or not. I do trust your & rajncajn's judgment - you guys know football pretty well. I do know Stecker has failed in the past given this opportunity (I have owned Duece in the past & thus have carried a Stecker handcuff and watched him suck badly in replacement). I am firmly convinced that Bush does not have the mass given his height, nor the constitution, to be a featured RB. Cowher said it best: Bush is a satellite - he requires space to operate.

That's leaves a void. If Thomas has the ability, this is going to be his chance to show it - by default. NO needs a running legitimate threat between the tackles, and neither Bush nor Stecker is it. Sometimes all a player needs is opportunity. I do know that NO cut Pittman - whose lone strength as a RB IS running between the tackles - in favor of Thomas. I also know that NO needs to find a future replacement for McAllister, whether he can't recover from injury or whether he & Bush require too much cap space to keep both at RB. That spells a reasonable chance for a break out by a RB like Thomas, and at this point in the season, that's a very reasonable flyer to take.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I agree with those who think reggie can carry the load, I don't know how all this nonsense of him not being able to carry a load took on so much life. If willy parker, tiki barber, westbrook, mewelde moore, kevin faulk (I've seen faulk carry the load just fine and moore was a stud when bennet was out in minnesota) and all the other who have been formidable fill ins in people's absence can do it. One of the fastest most agile backs in the league can do it. Reggie is no scrawny dude.

Saints homers... it sounds to me like Pierre might be worth a flyer.

Which one would be worth a start THIS week? :D (my RB situation is THAT bad this week)

Logic says they might look to the veteran, Stecker, at least for the short term (ie. this week). If he struggles, then Pierre would get more looks.