[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamal Lewis

chires

FWIW, this doesn't sound too awful, x-rays neg. Good team spirit by all:

Cleveland Browns running back Jamal Lewis injured

Monday, October 08, 2007

Mary Kay Cabot

Plain Dealer Reporter

Foxborough, Mass. -- Browns running back Jamal Lewis, who left the Patriots game after suffering a right foot injury on his team's first play from scrimmage, will undergo an MRI today to determine the extent of the injury.

"It happened at the beginning of the run," said Lewis, who ripped off 11 yards despite the injury. "I kind of caught my foot in the turf. I thought I'd be able to go back in, but they didn't want me to do something crazy and miss the rest of the season."

He underwent X-rays during the game but said they were negative.

"It's kind of under the foot, but I'd really rather not speak on it right now," Lewis said. "I don't want to give you any bad information."

He said he thinks it's "nothing major, just like a small sprain or whatever."

Lewis came back to the sideline in the second quarter, had his foot re-taped and looked primed to return, but doctors held him out.

"It's not just that it was [20-0], but I looked out there, and Jason Wright was running the ball pretty well," said Lewis. "So my thing was, I think he can handle it. That's why he's got this job. So I just said, I'll chill out.' "

Lewis said the injury was "disappointing, because I kind of felt like we could've had a big day running the football on them. That's kind of where their weakness pretty much is, I feel. But things didn't work out that way."

Lewis had off-season surgery on the right ankle but said the two injuries are unrelated.

Wright subs:

Wright did an admirable job in place of Lewis, especially in the first half when he rushed for 49 yards on 11 carries for a 4.5-yard average. His long gain was an 11-yarder to just shy of the goal line.

"I could've gotten in the end zone, I'm sure," said Wright. "Whenever you get stopped on the 1-inch line, you could've gotten in, plain and simple. I seem to be the king of the 1-yard line, so there's something I'm doing."

Wright, who finished with 59 yards on 15 carries, acknowledged that losing Lewis on the first play was a huge blow.

"When you lose a leader, especially someone who's been as productive as him and has as much experience, it's going to hurt, period," said Wright. "I don't have Super Bowl championships, and I don't have 245 weight with 4.4 speed."