[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy football losing its appeal this year

MTSuper7

This is my seventh season playing fantasy football, and I can easily say that I've gotten less enjoyment out of playing this year than any other. I've always felt that a solid drafting strategy is rewarded with strong depth and, inevitably, a successful run to the playoffs. That has been true for me each of the previous six seasons. However, with the rash of injuries, players not living up to their expectations, and inconsistency across the board, this season has been a nightmare. Strangely, this is my first season as a member of "The Huddle". I am afraid that somehow I have jinxed myself into a season of fantasy football hell by taking it too seriously. Does anyone else feel like this season has sucked the fun out of fantasy football? Or am I left all alone wallowing in self pity?

This is my seventh season playing fantasy football, and I can easily say that I've gotten less enjoyment out of playing this year than any other. I've always felt that a solid drafting strategy is rewarded with strong depth and, inevitably, a successful run to the playoffs. That has been true for me each of the previous six seasons. However, with the rash of injuries, players not living up to their expectations, and inconsistency across the board, this season has been a nightmare. Strangely, this is my first season as a member of "The Huddle". I am afraid that somehow I have jinxed myself into a season of fantasy football hell by taking it too seriously. Does anyone else feel like this season has sucked the fun out of fantasy football? Or am I left all alone wallowing in self pity?

On the contrary, I think the additional challenges this year presents make it that much more fun and rewarding. Someone said nothing worth doing is ever easy (or something like that).

:D I'd bet you'd be having a blast if you drafted Brady, Addai, Adrian Peterson, Randy Moss and Plaxico Burress. :D

Correct! Of those listed, I have Burress, but my others have stepped up nicely!! But they are all just an injury away from going down the crap tubes.

Edited by Piranha-z

I like the fact that there isnt a true beast this year..Back in the day there was always some players that did better then others but you didnt have a guy like LT or LJ of old scoring 4tds and 200 yards which blew away a team that may have had solid contributions from his team top to bottom. Then came Emmit Smith-Marshall- Terrel Davis- LT- LJ - SA and the scope of fantasy changed..I like it better this way..Not the injuries ..Just the fantasy parity among the players..QB is the moneymaking position this year as far as the beasts so far Romo , Carson, Farve, brady etc...Im glad you can possibly win a league with solid players now instead of watching the guys with the 1 and 2 picks ride one guy practically to the superbowl..

Edited by whomper

Correct! Of those listed, I have Burress, but my others have stepped up nicely!! But they are all just an injury away from going down the crap tubes.

Look at my team below......Henry was my first round pick and Smith was my second.......... :D.......I had Delhomme,Eli,Leinart!

Edited by IrishPride

As someone who seemingly never got a top 3 pick in the last few years, this year is my most enjoyable year in awhile. You can compete in any draft position this year without having to catch lightning in a bottle. I think a good strategy pays off this year more than the past few. Yes, injuries are frustrating, but not nearly as much as watching LT, LJ, and SA owners guaranteeing themselves playoff positions by being fortunate enough to pick at the start of the draft no matter what crap of a team they put together.

I think how you feel about the season is related to how you have been affected. With the exception of Deuce going down and Delhomme not being available as my by week QB this last weekend, I've been pretty much major injury free while most of the other teams I've played have been either somewhat affected or devastated by injuries or mediocrity. Last year I was in that category and felt somewhat how you feel. This year I'm kicking butt in one league in overall points ahead by 40 and after tonight, if Romo and Lynch do good, that margin will only increase. Managing a fantasy league isn't all that different then managing a real team with all the highs and lows that can come throughout the season.

I'm feeling that way, and after tonight's game, I should be 4-1 in three leagues and 3-2 in my other league, so it's not a case of sour grapes. I've always said that it takes a combination of good coaching and dumb luck to be successful at this game, but the dumb luck to good coaching ratio has been a little to high for my taste this season. I want to win because I've outfoxed my opponent or vice versa, not because I was forced to play a waiver wire reject that had a career game.

As someone who seemingly never got a top 3 pick in the last few years, this year is my most enjoyable year in awhile. You can compete in any draft position this year without having to catch lightning in a bottle. I think a good strategy pays off this year more than the past few. Yes, injuries are frustrating, but not nearly as much as watching LT, LJ, and SA owners guaranteeing themselves playoff positions by being fortunate enough to pick at the start of the draft no matter what crap of a team they put together.

I think this is part of my problem. This is the first year I've ever had the number one overall pick, and my expectations were pretty high. Coincidentally, I'm ready to join the "I Hate Norv Turner" fan club.

I play in 12 leagues, so i see both ends of the spectrum your speaking of.

In leagues where i felt i had pulled out a superior draft, i am struggling with underperformers and injuries and in leagues where i figured finishing below the average and had poor drafts, i have escaped the injury bugs and had great fortune with players like Ronnie Brown, Farve, Mason etc.

Had i not been in so many leagues and had misfortune in the ones i were in, i'd be miserable right now.................that's why i play in a mulititude of leagues each season, to keep me interested year round and not to let a few bad team drag my FF fun to the gutter.

I like the fact that there isnt a true beast this year..I like it better this way..Not the injuries ..Just the fantasy parity among the players...Im glad you can possibly win a league with solid players now instead of watching the guys with the 1 and 2 picks ride one guy practically to the superbowl..

I agree - IMO I feel that this year is allowing more teams to be in the competitve hunt. In my 12 team local there is not one particular team at this point I can say is a "lock" to make the playoffs / championship over any other. Other than 2 or 3 teams I feel like any one of the others can compete week in and week out without having had a top 3 pick.

I've been doing FFL for about 10 years now and can certainly understand the frustrations of this particular year. In my big money league, I pulled the 7th pick in a 10-team league. SA fell to me at 7 and although I wasn't too psyched about it, I felt I had to take him (wasn't comfortable with taking Fast Willie Parker or Westbrook that early). I ended up with a pretty good RB stable, but as has been stated by many FF pundits already, this does not seem to be the year of the RB.

If an experienced owner had picked up Moss, Favre, Ronnie Brown, Burress, etc. because of some astute insight, that would be easier to swallow. However what is kind of annoying is that the owners who drafted these players drafted them because they were all that was left at that point; in effect, cast-offs that were next on their generic cheat sheets.

I'm not having as much fun this year, either. But its more a product of having substantially less time to do research and watch the games. But I've got one team in particular that has lost Andre Johnson, A. Green, Jamal Lewis, Hines Ward, Michael Pittman, and having guys like S. Alexander that are really struggling. Starting off 0-5 because of stuff like that *and* your team has the most points "scored against" by a ridiculous margin, well, it just kills all the fun.

Edited by yo mama

good fantasy football players win their leagues in the mid to late part of the drafts and in the FA pickups.

That is why I bailed this year from a league that I was in for 7 years now. If the commish got 16 people - he'd go with 2 8 team drafts rather than a 16. Skill becomes worthless at that point.

getting more frstrating every year......

sjax, jordan, cj2, bruce, berrian, green, v davis, stallworth in a league...... frickin kills when you lose guys early in games every week..... nfl teams get to sub...we don't when they go down..... lose not because of bad mngmnt per se, but the ff gods

good fantasy football players win their leagues in the mid to late part of the drafts and in the FA pickups.

That is why I bailed this year from a league that I was in for 7 years now. If the commish got 16 people - he'd go with 2 8 team drafts rather than a 16. Skill becomes worthless at that point.

2- 8 team drafts would have taken ALL the fun out of it DJ. I would have dropped out also... I did one 16 team league and by rnd 5 you are going "Maybe Preist Holmes WILL come back and give me SOMETHING!!! lol..

I will take this thread one step further...I think the NFL season in general has been pretty substandard....in the past few years, I remember running from TV to TV at the end of the morning games because there were five games going on at once that were all down to the final minute and the team trailing by 4 was driving...or 3 games in OT at the same time...you get my picture...

Honestly, this year, I havent seen that many games I can get excited about....there just havent been the great finishes like I am used to...and I am not just talking about my team, the league in general...everyone is just mediocre...with the exception of the Colts, Pats, and Cowboys, who is good? I am a big fan of parity, as long as it doesnt bring mediocrity...and that is what I am afraid we have in this league now...

I have my share of injuries but so does pretty much everyone else. I'm not doing too bad in my leagues (best is 5-0, worst is 2-3) and I find that this year it's all much less intense than it's been in years past, hence I'm enjoying it more than usual. I think I've managed to get the FF thing into it's correct place on the priority list.

I'm not having as much fun this year, either. But its more a product of having substantially less time to do research and watch the games. But I've got one team in particular that has lost Andre Johnson, A. Green, Jamal Lewis, Hines Ward, Michael Pittman, and having guys like S. Alexander that are really struggling. Starting off 0-5 because of stuff like that *and* your team has the most points "scored against" by a ridiculous margin, well, it just kills all the fun.

+1.

I am getting killed at QB. Drafted Brees high and made a trade to get Vince Young. It seems everything I touch dries up and blows away in front of me. What's worse is that we had a girl join the league and she is killing. She talks feces constantly which is why I will never quit until she is destroyed.

This year is making me a little :D

Edited by Bushey

Every year is different and the thing I love about this year is that the top three pick did not mean automatic playoffs. Now maybe next year we can start trading draft picks, using insight, etc to make a better draft and season. I have 5 teams all of them being 12 team leagues.

3rd pick (2-3)

2nd pick (1-2, drafted after second week)

8th pick 4-1

10th pick 5-0 highest scoring team in league

11th pick 5-0 hightest scoring team in league

Those two last teams look very similar but are rocking hard with Parker and Henry on both.

I have young in every league, so that will be interesting I just never thought Henry would make it the whole season.