[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do you bait for trades?

LooGie

It seems like every league i've ever been in has no less than 5 people, but usually close to 7 or 8 that just wont trade for anything. It doesn't matter what you offer, what you say, what they have, how you word it, nothing.

I'll admit, I offer trades that are slightly lopsided in my favor, but only because I never do 1 for 1 trades. I always try to get 2 for 1, or multi player trades done.

One of my favorite tactics is to throw out rediculous feeler offers, (with a big name flop) like Reggie Bush and DeAngelo Williams for Moss and Favre or something but that's just to see who will counter offer. And I only offer positions where they are weak, so it adds a little bit of leverage for me.

Sure, it sounds like no one would want to trade with me, but after 2 rounds of counter offers, we always have a fair trade. Start high, meet in the middle. Problem is, every one is too afraid to start high, or even attempt to try.

You are my least favorite kind of trader. The problem with "starting high" is that you have to spend time haggling down to a reasonable deal. I don't have time for that. Usually, when someone uses your tactic on me, I don't even bother countering.

My strategy is to make my first offer a fair one. Usually, that means I'm taking a risk with my team...which is perfectly okay. That's kinda what trading is all about, isn't it?

Other than all that, I like to buy low and sell high. It doesn't always work, but over time, it's got a high success rate. :D

You are my least favorite kind of trader. The problem with "starting high" is that you have to spend time haggling down to a reasonable deal. I don't have time for that. Usually, when someone uses your tactic on me, I don't even bother countering.

My strategy is to make my first offer a fair one. Usually, that means I'm taking a risk with my team...which is perfectly okay. That's kinda what trading is all about, isn't it?

Other than all that, I like to buy low and sell high. It doesn't always work, but over time, it's got a high success rate. :D

I agree. Don't play games. Make a real offer. Treat me with a little respect.

I usually ask what someone wants for a player and then make counter offers from there.

if i want a guy........i always give too much to get'em....... got no time for weasels polishing a turd all week long :wacko: ....not you in paticular Loogster :D

exactly...I have no problem overpaying for the player I want if it makes my team better...

last week someone said he wanted Boldin :D ....so I said off the top of my head....how about Javon and Boldin for CJ and he jumped at it...

some people said I overpaid....but he took the deal immediately....he may have gotten hosed, but in the long term he will have no problem at WR....

I had a guy in fantasy baseball say something about 5 years ago that really stuck with me.."Depth Sucks" and unless we have a big roster I always go very very thin and take my chances with injuries..Translation in regards to this thread..I offer pretty fat 2 or 3 good/ very good players for 1 of the other persons above average players..The 3 guys I will offer can all be starters and at least one of them is usually a higher tier player

I had a guy in fantasy baseball say something about 5 years ago that really stuck with me.."Depth Sucks" and unless we have a big roster I always go very very thin and take my chances with injuries..Translation in regards to this thread..I offer pretty fat 2 or 3 good/ very good players for 1 of the other persons above average players..The 3 guys I will offer can all be starters and at least one of them is usually a higher tier player

exactly.......

Well lopsided trades... no wonder they won't trade you.

I always offer fair trades, not out of respect, but to keep it attractive. I point out how the player I am offering could help their team. Pretty simple, really. Look at their team, see where they're lacking, and see if I have something for that on my bench. You'll always get the idiots that overvalue their players and don't know anything, but you'll get some here and there.

Something that can work is to chum the water a bit.

Send out a pretty general email that you're looking at proposing a trade, but you don't want to willingly dryhump him. Since everyone has different views on how certain players rank out, you want his take on a few of your players (never more than six guys, otherwise it takes too much time). This will give you a sense for who you have that he may want, and then you take the players that you have that he llikes and see if you can pluck a player or two off of his roster that you like more than the guys he likes.

I'm also a fan of making injury / new team related trades. For example, now would be a good time to go after Travis Henry. This preseason, I traded for Randy Moss. Try to trade for Steven Jackson or any of the host of other players that are hurt if you're in a dynasty or keeper league.

Other than all that, I like to buy low and sell high. It doesn't always work, but over time, it's got a high success rate. :wacko:

I agree. Don't play games. Make a real offer. Treat me with a little respect.

I usually ask what someone wants for a player and then make counter offers from there.

if i want a guy........i always give too much to get'em....... got no time for weasels polishing a turd all week long :wacko: ....not you in paticular Loogster :D

:D tough crowd.

I usually start with a Filet Mignon right out of the gate but I will make them counter to upgrade the sides. As you can tell I am thinking about dinner already :D I do agree with Whomper though in that "Depth Sucks", I always try to get the best possible line-up I can get with 1 decent reserve at each key position and gamble from there.

Edited by SF409ers

Well lopsided trades... no wonder they won't trade you.

I always offer fair trades, not out of respect, but to keep it attractive. I point out how the player I am offering could help their team. Pretty simple, really. Look at their team, see where they're lacking, and see if I have something for that on my bench. You'll always get the idiots that overvalue their players and don't know anything, but you'll get some here and there.

+1 if you "show" some concern to help improve their team then they're more likely to trade. Than see " Oh chit, here's another offer from THAT guy trying to rip a few players from the perceived idiots in the league.

learned this lesson last year. stacked myself in the IDP department. Then spent whole season looking into the crystal ball who'd score the most points that week. Ended up killing me.

Something that can work is to chum the water a bit.

Send out a pretty general email that you're looking at proposing a trade, but you don't want to willingly dryhump him. Since everyone has different views on how certain players rank out, you want his take on a few of your players (never more than six guys, otherwise it takes too much time). This will give you a sense for who you have that he may want, and then you take the players that you have that he llikes and see if you can pluck a player or two off of his roster that you like more than the guys he likes.

I'm also a fan of making injury / new team related trades. For example, now would be a good time to go after Travis Henry. This preseason, I traded for Randy Moss. Try to trade for Steven Jackson or any of the host of other players that are hurt if you're in a dynasty or keeper league.

I'll never reply to your emails again muck. :D