[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adrian Peterson

CaP'N GRuNGe

I haven't seen any of the games so I'm curious. I notice that he has a fair amount of negative yardage carries in addition to his long runs. Sounds a bit like Barry Sanders in that regard. Again, I haven't seen Minn play, so I'm not implying that he runs like him or anything. At any rate, there's a big difference between somebody who gets you 6+ yds per carry and somebody who ends up with an average of 6+ yds per carry. Perhaps that's why they keep Chester in the mix? I was following the game tracker down the stretch because I started him and wanted to see what he'd end up with and noticed that he lost yards on his last three carries. Just a thought.

I mean, that was one of the problems with Sanders, you couldn't grind it out down the stretch with him because he didn't always keep the chains moving.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love this guy! Check out the 4 minute highlight clip from NFL.com of Peterson. Simply amazing!

Peterson clip at NFL.com

OK, so now I've seen some clips and am honestly confused as to why he tends to lose yards because (at least in that very small sample) he doesn't seem inclined to reverse direction and run backwards.

Nevermind.

I haven't seen any of the games so I'm curious. I notice that he has a fair amount of negative yardage carries in addition to his long runs. Sounds a bit like Barry Sanders in that regard. Again, I haven't seen Minn play, so I'm not implying that he runs like him or anything. At any rate, there's a big difference between somebody who gets you 6+ yds per carry and somebody who ends up with an average of 6+ yds per carry. Perhaps that's why they keep Chester in the mix? I was following the game tracker down the stretch because I started him and wanted to see what he'd end up with and noticed that he lost yards on his last three carries. Just a thought.

I mean, that was one of the problems with Sanders, you couldn't grind it out down the stretch with him because he didn't always keep the chains moving.

I did sorta wonder the same thing...

I have not studied the game logs or anything, and admittedly haven't been watching as closely this season as usual, but I would not say that Peterson is anything like the question posed. I don't liken him to Sanders at all, he's big, strong, fast and definitely does not shy away from contact. He gets plenty of his yards inside to start and then adjusts/cuts/spins. Baldinger (of all people) hit it on the head yesterday when he said that Peterson takes a slow first step to visualize the hole, then explodes either through it or bounces out if it's closed. He is completely committed immediately and seemingly at full speed after gauging the situation upon the handoff. My impession of what makes him so impressive is what he makes out of nothing - turning a loss or a gain of a couple into 3 to 5 yards, just by exploding and pushing hard into people. I honestly can't remember ever thinking that he was overly hesitant or made a bad decision. The reason he is breaking off these huge runs (other than the line giving him some nice room to move most of the time) is that he is going full bore THROUGH the line and his instincts to cut and get people off balance are immediate - and he is again seemingly at full speed the other direction.

I can understand some Sanders comparisons with the extreme cuts and spin moves, but I don't compare the two in physicality or loss yardage scenarios. Maybe others do, I don't know. I can definitely see the Dickerson comparisons with the upright physical style and great vision - and being gone when he hits an opening. But he seems to be shiftier and more elusive than E.D. The kid is something else.

Peterson No. 1 in rushing

October 15th, 2007 – 12:09 PM by Judd Zulgad It should come as no surprise that Adrian Peterson has taken over the NFL lead with 607 rushing yards. His 96 carries this season are the fewest among the top 10 rushing leaders in the NFL. The Chargers’ LaDainian Tomlinson, who rushed for 198 yards on 24 carries with four touchdowns in a 28-14 victory over Oakland on Sunday, is second in the league with 527 yards on 122 carries.

Peterson is second in the NFL in yards from scrimmage with 782 (607 rushing, 175 receiving). Miami running back Ronnie Brown is first with 882 yards (526 rushing, 356 receiving).

By the way, if you want to see the Adrian Peterson show again, er, I mean the Vikings victory, NFL Network will replay the game at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

(Of course Brown had 6 games to put up those numbers and Peterson has had 5.)

Peterson No. 1 in rushing

October 15th, 2007 – 12:09 PM by Judd Zulgad It should come as no surprise that Adrian Peterson has taken over the NFL lead with 607 rushing yards. His 96 carries this season are the fewest among the top 10 rushing leaders in the NFL. The Chargers’ LaDainian Tomlinson, who rushed for 198 yards on 24 carries with four touchdowns in a 28-14 victory over Oakland on Sunday, is second in the league with 527 yards on 122 carries.

Peterson is second in the NFL in yards from scrimmage with 782 (607 rushing, 175 receiving). Miami running back Ronnie Brown is first with 882 yards (526 rushing, 356 receiving).

By the way, if you want to see the Adrian Peterson show again, er, I mean the Vikings victory, NFL Network will replay the game at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

(Of course Brown had 6 games to put up those numbers and Peterson has had 5.)

Once again, nice to have the three guys mentioned in this piece on my team :D