[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chad Pennington stinks

bluedog

Despite Chad Pennington’s struggles in directing the Jets’ stagnant offense, we hear head coach Eric Mangini feels he can’t afford to make a QB change just yet. For starters, he fears that opting for the stronger-armed Kellen Clemens would be viewed as throwing in the towel on the season, something he’s not ready to do at 1-5. More importantly, he can ill-afford to further cripple his already strained relationship with the team. Mangini’s authoritarian coaching style is detested by his players, and benching the well-liked Pennington would be seen as a supreme lack of loyalty. However, insiders tell us that if offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer lobbied for Clemens, he’d likely be successful. And as Schottenheimer has gone from prospective head-coaching candidate to struggling assistant in the span of five weeks, he may be willing to do just that. In such a scenario, Mangini could save face by saying it was Schottenheimer’s decision, and Schottenheimer doesn’t risk undermining his rapport with players because they don’t have a personal problem with him. But if Pennington remains the starter and the losses continue to mount, it appears to be a foregone conclusion that Clemens will take over QB duties sometime before the end of the season.

Sounds like there a Big Trouble in Little Chinatown. Mangini fears benching a player because the player is liked more then him. The clock is ticking.

Edited by SuperCharger

Despite Chad Pennington’s struggles in directing the Jets’ stagnant offense, we hear head coach Eric Mangini feels he can’t afford to make a QB change just yet. For starters, he fears that opting for the stronger-armed Kellen Clemens would be viewed as throwing in the towel on the season, something he’s not ready to do at 1-5.

If Mangini thinks this, he is an idiot. :D IMHO, it's a move you would make to try to spark the offense and save your season. Am I missing something here? :D

First signs that Mangini is losing the team come from the post-game comments of TE Chris Baker:

Trailing by a touchdown with just under five minutes remaining, the Jets faced a second-and-1 at the Eagles' 4-yard line after Jones had gained nine yards on first down.

The Jets handed the ball to Jones again, for no gain. Instead of giving Jones one more crack, Chad Pennington was stuffed on a quarterback sneak before attempting a desperation corner pass to an isolated Laveranues Coles that was broken up by Sheldon Brown with 3:32 remaining.

"Honestly, that didn't surprise me at all," tight end Chris Baker said of the game plan. "Thomas had (almost) 100 yards in the first half and you don't give him the ball on third-and-1. Unfortunately, I wasn't surprised by it. What can you do? A guy is running the ball all over the place and he doesn't get it. I know what our game plan is in those situations so it doesn't surprise me. Nothing surprises me."

These Jet fans and the bandwagon NY Media are all over the place. First Pennington is compared to Montana now the guy sucks and needs to be benched. Then Mangini goes from Mangenius to a dunce. What's it going to be next week?

Personally, I've always thought Chad has been an over rated fragile QB. His days of methodically carving up a defense on 5-10 yard plays for 5-minute plus drives are over. He's boring and predictable. At this point they should bring in Clemens since he is the future anyway. Let the guy take some licks and learn on the job. Along the way I think he'll make some plays and bring some excitement to a very dull offense.

I laughed when I read this earlier from Fanball's comment on Alex Smith:

49ers: Smith improving

The News

49ers quarterback Alex Smith was able to throw from 25 yards on Monday and hopes to be under center after the team's Week 6 bye. "I pushed it back a little bit," he told the San Francisco Chronicle. "I was throwing about 25 yards. I wasn't gunning them in there. It definitely felt better than yesterday."

Our View

Throwing from 25 yards may not seem like much, but it is more than Chad Pennington can do when he's completely healthy