[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First BCS Standings

budlitebrad

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that is a pretty accurate assessment of the wacky season thus far. LSU still in it, and deserve to be, even though contrary to popular belief they haven't proven anything on the field to call them the "BEST TEAM IN THE NATION". USC is right where they should be I believe. Forced to do some very heavy lifting to convince people they deserve to be in it. And they will have their chance with the big games.

LSU 4th ranked! That makes sense. :D

FYI: Here are all the wins of all three teams currently ahead of LSU in the BCS poll (Ohio State, South Florida and Boston College) . Please note only two wins over ranked teams up to this point and both of those are by South Florida.

LSU on the other hand has beaten by themselves 11th ranked Virginia Tech 48-7 , 6th ranked South Carolina 28-16 , 15th ranked Florida 28-24 with one loss to 7th ranked Kentucky in triple OT 43-37.

Youngstown St. ?

Akron ?

@Washington ?

Northwestern ?

@Minnesota ?

@Purdue ?

Kent St.?

Wake Forest ?

N. Carolina St.?

@Georgia Tech?

Army ?

Massachusetts ?

Bowling Green?

@Notre Dame?

Elon?

@Auburn 17th ranked

North Carolina ?

West Virginia 9th ranked

@Fla. Atlantic ?

UCF ?

FYI: Here are all the wins of all three teams currently ahead of LSU in the BCS poll (Ohio State, South Florida and Boston College) . Please note only two wins over ranked teams up to this point and both of those are by South Florida.

LSU on the other hand has beaten by themselves 11th ranked Virginia Tech 48-7 , 6th ranked South Carolina 28-16 , 15th ranked Florida 28-24 with one loss to 7th ranked Kentucky in triple OT 43-37.

Youngstown St. ?

Akron ?

@Washington ?

Northwestern ?

@Minnesota ?

@Purdue ?

Kent St.?

Wake Forest ?

N. Carolina St.?

@Georgia Tech?

Army ?

Massachusetts ?

Bowling Green?

@Notre Dame?

Elon?

@Auburn 17th ranked

North Carolina ?

West Virginia 9th ranked

@Fla. Atlantic ?

UCF ?

:D What a fektard.

Youngstown St. ?

Akron ?

@Washington ?

Northwestern ?

@Minnesota ?

@Purdue ?

Kent St.?

Wake Forest ?

N. Carolina St.?

@Georgia Tech?

Army ?

Massachusetts ?

Bowling Green?

@Notre Dame?

Elon?

@Auburn 17th ranked

North Carolina ?

West Virginia 9th ranked

@Fla. Atlantic ?

UCF ?

Like I said before TOS...YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! :wacko::D

Although it doesn't matter, because how good are those teams actually. Big deal, they are ranked? Whose to say those teams don't lose to teams that Ohio State beat? Schedules are overrated. Miami won the title in 2001, playing virtually nobody, but I don't think anyone would question they were #1. Big Deal you beat ranked teams. What exactly did any of those teams do to deserve that ranking? Seriously, VT? What have they done?

I don't see anyone finishing unbeaten so this poll means bupkus. The sad truth is, when(if) USF loses, they'll get absolutely hammered by the pollsters. Don't get me wrong, I believe, but man this is hard to believe.

I don't see anyone finishing unbeaten so this poll means bupkus. The sad truth is, when(if) USF loses, they'll get absolutely hammered by the pollsters. Don't get me wrong, I believe, but man this is hard to believe.

Not if they get the same treatment USC got. Is anyone left on USF's schedule as bad as Stanford?

A long way to go........and this list will change a lot IMO- as a point to how crazy this is- I think Oregon is certainly in the conversation as one of the best teams in the country as of now. At worst they are 3-4th , yet they sit their at 10th- crazy year so far

:D

Regardless, CAL beat them, and deserves to be above them.

Although it doesn't matter, because how good are those teams actually. Big deal, they are ranked? Whose to say those teams don't lose to teams that Ohio State beat? Schedules are overrated. Miami won the title in 2001, playing virtually nobody, but I don't think anyone would question they were #1. Big Deal you beat ranked teams. What exactly did any of those teams do to deserve that ranking? Seriously, VT? What have they done?

None the less, last November OSU (and Michigan) fans were prepared to disregard the rest of the nation by saying the two best teams were in the Big 10. Despite the fact that neither had really beaten anyone. Both their token premier out of conference wins were vs. teams that were not as good as their rep and the Big 10 (like this year) was rather middling. Looked what happened to them in January. It appears the same is happening for OSU this year (well, we don't know about January yet, of course).

Now, the shoe also fits on the other foot and many of the SEC's claims rely on an allegedly tough in-conference schedule. Of course, the SEC did have the best bowl record of any conference last year and likely sends more players to the next level than any other conference. While the limited sample of OOC games makes it pretty hard to truly rate the conferences, saying the SEC is the toughest is hardly going out on a limb. There's certainly no other conference who's 6th - 8th best teams are the caliber of Tenn, GA, or Bama. Talk about not getting many weeks off. That's a hell of a lot harder than cruising through a schedule filled with teams that you should absolutely beat 19 times out of 20 and then being tested once a month if that.

Tell me you're not trying to imply that any of the schedules played by OSU, USF, BC come close to comparing to LSU's.

Of course, you're right, we don't know how good those teams are. OSU has certainly handled their business and that's all you can ask of the kids. However, unless the Big 10 starts to pick it's game up as a whole, they're going to have to start scheduling better out of conference games or hear these same chirps every year. Of course, what do they care. The Big 10 will always be considered a tough football conference even if it fails to live up to that hype and that means that OSU can continue to play a 1-2 game schedule each year and punch it's ticket to a BCS game. Who can blame them?

Edited by detlef

Biggest no namers = Boston College & South Florida..

They will be removed from the standings soon enough.

BC and South Florida are not comparable.

BC has been top 25 ranked at some point in each of the past several seasons, and have 4 or 5 straight bowl appearances.

EDIT:

2006 20th ranked BCS team

2005 18th ranked BCS team

2001 21st ranked BCS team

I don't think them taking the step to the next level (at least at this point in the season) can be characterised as them coming out of nowhere.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Like I said before TOS...YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! :D:D

Truth is LSU got punked and its going to happen again. LSU wont win out from here on out, and wont be a factor in the Championship game. Glad to see you finally decided to show back up after your so called beloved Kitty Kats got punched in the mouth Saturday.

BC and South Florida are not comparable.

BC has been top 25 ranked at some point in each of the past several seasons, and have 4 or 5 straight bowl appearances.

EDIT:

2006 20th ranked BCS team

2005 18th ranked BCS team

2001 21st ranked BCS team

I don't think them taking the step to the next level (at least at this point in the season) can be characterised as them coming out of nowhere.

yer right, I wouldn't compare the 2 either. USF has more quality wins, the better resume, and the better team IMO - BC is decent, but they will come back to earth pretty soon.

None the less, last November OSU (and Michigan) fans were prepared to disregard the rest of the nation by saying the two best teams were in the Big 10. Despite the fact that neither had really beaten anyone. Both their token premier out of conference wins were vs. teams that were not as good as their rep and the Big 10 (like this year) was rather middling. Looked what happened to them in January. It appears the same is happening for OSU this year (well, we don't know about January yet, of course).

Now, the shoe also fits on the other foot and many of the SEC's claims rely on an allegedly tough in-conference schedule. Of course, the SEC did have the best bowl record of any conference last year and likely sends more players to the next level than any other conference. While the limited sample of OOC games makes it pretty hard to truly rate the conferences, saying the SEC is the toughest is hardly going out on a limb. There's certainly no other conference who's 6th - 8th best teams are the caliber of Tenn, GA, or Bama. Talk about not getting many weeks off. That's a hell of a lot harder than cruising through a schedule filled with teams that you should absolutely beat 19 times out of 20 and then being tested once a month if that.

Tell me you're not trying to imply that any of the schedules played by OSU, USF, BC come close to comparing to LSU's.

Of course, you're right, we don't know how good those teams are. OSU has certainly handled their business and that's all you can ask of the kids. However, unless the Big 10 starts to pick it's game up as a whole, they're going to have to start scheduling better out of conference games or hear these same chirps every year. Of course, what do they care. The Big 10 will always be considered a tough football conference even if it fails to live up to that hype and that means that OSU can continue to play a 1-2 game schedule each year and punch it's ticket to a BCS game. Who can blame them?

In a previous post, I proved that year in and year out, the SEC plays the weakest of non-conference schedules out of any conference. I completely agree with almost everything you said, it's not a stretch to say today the SEC is the best conference. But again, what has the Big Ten done this year that makes them think they aren't as deep as years past, other than Michigan? Big Ten might beat everyone in bowl games and prove everyone wrong. And while I agree, THIS year, the Big Ten hasn't had a killer schedule, but who has? The SEC didn't. Tenn went to Cal, got thumped, Oregon went to Michigan and won. Thats it! The rest is pure speculation on how good those teams are. And I think south Florida has played a tougher schedule than LSU. Beating Auburn in Auburn. West Virginia is better than Kentucky. LSU has the best win over Florida, but in the eyes of the computers, they beat a 2 loss team, no matter what our opinions on Florida is. And what's it gonna say for South Florida when Auburn exposes LSU once again next week in Baton Rouge? Can you say, FASTEST DEFENSE they've SEEN this year, and its not even close? As far as BC goes, they, like Ohio State, have taken care of business. They don't lose to the likes of Stanford AT HOME.

The Big Ten vs SEC argument will get settled, New Years day, like it always does, because we have at least 2 bowl tie ins with each other, maybe another extra BCS game. If it's Ohio State vs an SEC team, just chalk it up for the SEC. What would the SEC bowl record be vs the Big Ten if they didn't have Ohio State to pick on? I'll tell you this, it wouldn't be pretty.

yer right, I wouldn't compare the 2 either. USF has more quality wins, the better resume, and the better team IMO - BC is decent, but they will come back to earth pretty soon.

Typical argument...all fluff, no substance. :D Way to ignore the posted facts and come back with unsupported conjecture :D

Typical argument...all fluff, no substance. :wacko: Way to ignore the posted facts and come back with unsupported conjecture :D

:D - BC has 1 decent, not great W @ G Tech- that is it.

USF has wins @ Auburn, and over WVU- much stronger, and they have played a much tougher sched-

SOS:

BC- 80th

USF- 31st

USF is suffering a little bias IMO- bc of being the new kid on the block- but I definitely like them over BC

:D - BC has 1 decent, not great W @ G Tech- that is it.

USF has wins @ Auburn, and over WVU- much stronger, and they have played a much tougher sched-

SOS:

BC- 80th

USF- 31st

USF is suffering a little bias IMO- bc of being the new kid on the block- but I definitely like them over BC

When did I say BC was deserving of a higher ranking or better?

USF and BC were called "Biggest no namers = Boston College & South Florida.."

All I pointed out is that you can not compare them in that fashion, because BC has been top 24 ranked 4 years running. Try learning to read, momo :D

Do you think BC should be ranked above USF?

Not particularly...........I have no basis to make that claim. I have not even seen a USF game.

I think that you can't call a team that has been nationally ranked 4 years running and that is sitting at #3 undefeated a "no name" team. I am saying that they didn't come out of nowhere, and it shouldn't be that much of a shock to see them where they are.

EDIT: Whoops :D I guess I was too fast for the backtracking :D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

When did I say BC was deserving of a higher ranking or better?

USF and BC were called "Biggest no namers = Boston College & South Florida.."

All I pointed out is that you can not compare them in that fashion, because BC has been top 24 ranked 4 years running. Try learning to read, momo :D

wow, Nick yer a funny dude :D

I am talking 2007 - don't care about BC's mediocre football past.

They just happen to be the biggest fraud in the BCS- nothing personal but the ACC is garbage this year. The ACC is the ONLY major conference with ZERO wins vs. top 30 competition.

wow, Nick yer a funny dude :D

I am talking 2007 - don't care about BC's mediocre football past.

They just happen to be the biggest fraud in the BCS- nothing personal but the ACC is garbage this year. The ACC is the ONLY major conference with ZERO wins vs. top 30 competition.

:D seeing as you didn't make the original comment, and just interjected yourself into the conversation, now would be a good time to come out and admit that your comment had nothing to do with what I was responding to. :wacko:

Or you can keep making yourself look dumb by changing the subject and trying to come up with a different answer. I am not here to argue with you, I was just correcting something that was misstated.

I am not a BC alum.......I have no great stake in their winnings and losings. I listen to their games on the radio when I am fishing or golfing on Saturday....but that's the extent of my ties to them. I'm not going to sit here and make dumfok grandios claims about which team is better than which, something that can only be measured on the field of play. I'll leave that to you mooks :wacko: