[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First BCS Standings

budlitebrad

There have been plenty of years where the Big Ten was the best conference, so to say every year Ohio State has a 2 game schedule is utterly ridiculous. It may or may not be true this year, we won't know until January. You can talk about the 2 bowl wins being meaningless when it comes to Florida stomping Ohio State for all the marbles all you want, but that would kind of defeat the argument that the SEC is deeper year in and year out. We are talking about the conference as a whole aren't we? This decade the Big Ten and SEC have been dead even overall, with a slight edge maybe to the SEC with 2 national titles to the Big Tens 1. But as far as head to head, its the Big Ten with a 1 game lead, or dead even, so again, and it's usually matching up teams pretty close in the standings, and ALWAYS in SEC country. Whether it is down in Florida or the few years the Music city Bowl was between B10 and SEC.

Look I'm not even arguing that the Big Ten is stronger than anyone. I think anyone who argues conference supremecy in October is fooling themselves, and again, setting themself up for one big let down in January. The same let down, that happened last year, with Michigan and Ohio State both getting destroyed. And lets be honest, that's where all this Big Ten bashing has come from. 06 has nothing to do with 07 other than preseason rankings which are a joke to begin with. Let the season play out.

Actually, I said 2-3. And, for the record, I was referring to games leading up to the bowls, not including the bowls themselves. Judging by the final AP rankings, here's how many ranked teams OSU has played each year since '02

'02 3 (1 OOC, 2 Big 10)

'03 3 (all Big 10)

'04 3 (all Big 10)

'05 2 (Texas and Penn St.)

'06 3 (Texas, Mich, Penn St.)

So, it doesn't look like I was far off especially since I also mentioned having to get up for about one game per month.

Do I need to bump all the posts where Big 10 backers were freaking out because of the gall that was being shown by not assuming OSU and UM were the two best teams and should be playing, yet again, for the NC? But yes, that combined with the fact that they both got crushed in their respective bowls has much to do with this sentiment. Well, that and the fact that OSU did not schedule a tough team OOC and, as of now, has exactly one ranked team on it's schedule, #25 Mich. I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to expect some grief if that's the case. I mean, teams like Boise St. get treated like freak shows because they don't play anyone all year. Well, if and when OSU is sitting undefeated at the end of November, who will they have beaten?

More importantly, they will not have had to endure any stretches like LSU is in the middle of, playing 5 ranked teams in 7 weeks. Maybe none of those 5 teams are elite (though I'm not saying none are), but that's 5 times in 7 weeks that you're playing somebody good enough to beat you if you don't play your best. OSU would have to have completely stunk up the joint to have lost to any of the teams they've played so far with the possible exception of Purdue where they would have had only needed to kind of stink up the joint.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you bump up the posts, please be sure to note that I was against a rematch from the start, because I believe that you should have to at least win your conference to be considered for the NC game. I did, like a LOT of people, believe that Ohio State and Michigan were the two best teams, but I was wrong, I certainly wasn't alone, and it certainly wasn't only Big Ten backers as you like to put it. And those years, you show me some ranked team, and I'll show you unranked teams that would beat them (and probably did). A good example would be Wisconsin in 2002, a team that finished 8th in the Big Ten that year, went to the Alamo Bowl and beat Colorado, a team who lost in its conference championship game.

If you bump up the posts, please be sure to note that I was against a rematch from the start, because I believe that you should have to at least win your conference to be considered for the NC game. I did, like a LOT of people, believe that Ohio State and Michigan were the two best teams, but I was wrong, I certainly wasn't alone, and it certainly wasn't only Big Ten backers as you like to put it. And those years, you show me some ranked team, and I'll show you unranked teams that would beat them (and probably did). A good example would be Wisconsin in 2002, a team that finished 8th in the Big Ten that year, went to the Alamo Bowl and beat Colorado, a team who lost in its conference championship game.

You are certainly correct in saying that teams outside of the top 25 are still capable of beating quality teams. Of course, not having all day or remembering that five years ago the 8th best team in the Big 10 beat Colorado, I figured simply showing matchups vs top 25 teams was a fine enough way to validate my point. Forgive the limited sample.

That being said, your typical NC contender should be able to rather convincingly beat a team ranked around the bottom of the polls, so they should certainly be able to handle someone ranked just outside. Also, I doubt the SEC is any less represented among the next 10-15 teams left out of the top 25 than the Big 10 is, so there are just more easy outs in the Big 10 than there is in the SEC. Thus, it is fair to expect OSU should have to schedule stronger OOC than your typical SEC team. the simple fact is, they really don't very often and that really undermines their credibility in the eyes of many of us.

For the record, while I was looking all that up, I also noticed something else. If you look at all the preseason polls, the Big 10 and SEC have exactly as many teams represented. On average, they both got about 5 per year (24 in the 5 years sampled). However, if you compare that to the final (post bowl) polls, the SEC only had one less top 25 team (23), while there were only 19 Big Ten teams. That's not a huge difference, but it tells me that the Big 10 gets a bit more credit for being good than it deserves and the SEC gets pretty much exactly as much as they deserve. That, at the beginning of the season, the pollsters tend to think that the two conferences are equal but that, by the end of the season, the SEC proves it deserves the respect more than the Big 10 does.

Lastly, I appreciate arguing with you because I respect the fact that you are quite level-headed and bring more than the myopic homerism often shown here. I do recall your stance last year. I honestly don't think our opinions are that far off.

Edited by detlef

For the record, while I was looking all that up, I also noticed something else. If you look at all the preseason polls, the Big 10 and SEC have exactly as many teams represented. On average, they both got about 5 per year (24 in the 5 years sampled). However, if you compare that to the final (post bowl) polls, the SEC only had one less top 25 team (23), while there were only 19 Big Ten teams. That's not a huge difference, but it tells me that the Big 10 gets a bit more credit for being good than it deserves and the SEC gets pretty much exactly as much as they deserve. That, at the beginning of the season, the pollsters tend to think that the two conferences are equal but that, by the end of the season, the SEC proves it deserves the respect more than the Big 10 does.

Solid research and conclusions there, detlef. Seriously - its hard to argue with that. thanks.....

THE TOP 10 BEST TEAMS IMO .................

1- OREGON

2- LSU

3- OKLAHOMA

4- OHIO ST.

5- SO. FLORIDA

6- SOUTHERN CAL

7- BOSTON COLLEGE

8- CALIFORNIA

9- WEST VIRGINIA

10- SOUTH CAROLINA

yep- pretty close to what I have seen- I think USC will get it together at some point-

I think for certain OKL/LSU/OREGON are clearly the 3 best teams in America as of today............

OSU? please - I mean they are going to play 1 top 25 game all season? it is a joke

this team comes thru the SEC or Pac 10 sched with 2-3 Losses.

yep- pretty close to what I have seen- I think USC will get it together at some point-

I think for certain OKL/LSU/OREGON are clearly the 3 best teams in America as of today............

OSU? please - I mean they are going to play 1 top 25 game all season? it is a joke

this team comes thru the SEC or Pac 10 sched with 2-3 Losses.

:D OSU would walk thru the PAC 10 as if it were all MAC teams.............oh wait.........IT IS ! :D

:D OSU would walk thru the PAC 10 as if it were all MAC teams.............oh wait.........IT IS ! :D

you Big 10 guys are so sensitive, all the more obvious that you know you are playing in the 5th or 6th best conference in America- stay hot

for all the heat the Big East has taken last year- and this year with USF- it is much tougher, more competitive conference than the Big 10 this year.

OSU is looking to play a full NC/Conference schedule and play 1 ranked team- #25 Michigan, hangin by a thread- A COMPLETE JOKE.

you Big 10 guys are so sensitive, all the more obvious that you know you are playing in the 5th or 6th best conference in America- stay hot

for all the heat the Big East has taken last year- and this year with USF- it is much tougher, more competitive conference than the Big 10 this year.

OSU is looking to play a full NC/Conference schedule and play 1 ranked team- #25 Michigan, hangin by a thread- A COMPLETE JOKE.

One word ................WILDCATS

:D

Who's senstive???

OSU sitting pretty :D

OSU has no pressure, OSU is not suppose to win it all and everyone else has lost in the preseason top 10.

I don't see anyone getting senstive. OSU has a national title 2002 and we have been to like what, 4 BCS games since Tress.

OSU beat Michigan 5 out of the last 6 years which is more important to me than BCS games except the Title game.

I say life is pretty good for us Buck fans. I have enjoyed not even hearing about OSU from you guys till last week for the most part this has been the most relaxed I have been as a fan. I'm excited to just watch the Bucks this week against Michigan State and the return of one of our own. (Danantino makes his return to the Shoe)

GO BUCKS.

one more for you- O-H-I-O

still the funniest t -shirt I have seen in a while showing the outline of the state of O-H-I-O on the front.

The back of the t-shirt simply said:

WORST STATE EVER

pretty much on point-

That's it...LOL That's the best you got a tee shirt???...Wildcat tradition is fantastic.

Next thing you know, you will start bringing up Basketball again...LOL

Oh yeah...OSU is better than Arizona in that as well and that's our #2 sport.

I hear your fencing team is pretty good.

That's it...LOL That's the best you got a tee shirt???... yeah, I thought the t-shirt was funny as hell ,

Next thing you know, you will start bringing up Basketball again...LOL - probably, until UA fires Stoops

Oh yeah...OSU is better than Arizona in that as well and that's our #2 sport. - now yer talking crazy..........

I hear all yer co-eds are smoking hot - yep, pretty much