[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tony G

Hat Trick

Me thinks you dis-credit Mr. Gates too easily

Yeah probably, here's a look at the first 4 years of eachs career, since that's all we have to go by for Gates:

Gates

3 straight Pro Bowls

265 REC 3378 YRD 34 TD's, AVG 66 REC 844 YRD 8.5 TD's a year

8 straight Pro Bowls

Gonzo

261 REC 3041 YRD 24 TD's, AVG 65 REC 760 YRD 6 TD's

Gates has to keep this up for another 7 years, and that's just because that's how many years Tony has on him, and Tony is far from done. Frankly while I see it as possible that Gates could catch him, I don't think he will, but he certainly has the best shot at it. One could definately argue that Tony has put up superior numbers than any other TE in the hostory of the game with not so good QB's (Green being pretty good). Gates has had Brees and a franchise QB in Rivers throwing him the ball.

He is good....but his total will be passed.....by alot of players

Maybe by a lot of WRs; TEs? Not so much...

Gates is the only guy who has the production, health, AND ability to be at Gonzo's level for the amount of time needed to get that many tds.

And I think Shannon Sharpe has a good argument as greatest TE of all-time (at least greatest pass-catching TE of all-time, since nobody gives a rat's ass about who was the best blocking TE ever) FOR NOW. I was surprised to realize that Gonzo should own all the marks by the end of next season, even if he isn't his usual self (has the tds, 55 receptions and 900ish yds).

Maybe by a lot of WRs; TEs? Not so much...

Gates is the only guy who has the production, health, AND ability to be at Gonzo's level for the amount of time needed to get that many tds.

And I think Shannon Sharpe has a good argument as greatest TE of all-time (at least greatest pass-catching TE of all-time, since nobody gives a rat's ass about who was the best blocking TE ever) FOR NOW. I was surprised to realize that Gonzo should own all the marks by the end of next season, even if he isn't his usual self (has the tds, 55 receptions and 900ish yds).

Yeah, agreed, some people just talk out there ass Chavez. Just remember who Sharpe had throwing him the rock for 10 years guys.

of course as shannon sharpe noted at halftime, tony's never won a playoff game. :D

Shannon was 1/22nd of the starting lineup ... just as was Gonzo ...

I'd look at the other 21 yahoo's Tony's lined up with (primarily on the defensive side of the ball, and on STs ... Lin Elliott anyone?) ...

of course as shannon sharpe noted at halftime, tony's never won a playoff game. :D

:wacko: = Shannon Sharpe. Jealousy is a biatch! Hey Shannon, ask DT what he thinks of your :wacko::D

he also had pretty good seasons with trent dilfer, jake plummer and brian griese throwing him the rock.

Yeah, one of them won a Super Bowl and the other one is still better than any of the QB's KC has had excluding maybe Green and a 1/2 a year with Gannon. Grbac helped and killed Tony a lot. He threw well between the 20's and then was destined to turn the ball over.

you guys are right in a sense....the fact that tony gonzalez has never won a single playoff game is more a reflection on the overall ineptitude and futility of the chiefs as a franchise than it is on tony himself as a player.

but on the other side of the coin....sharpe actually had to compete against real NFL-caliber WRs for looks in the passing game for most of his career. :D