[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL refs on the pad now?

Bronco Billy

Every call is NOT reviewable. Judgement calls are not reviewable (like push outs).

You misunderstood me. I meant that every call is INHERENTLY reviewable, wether or not current NFL rules permit the review of all calls.

If it was all about getting it right then there would be no limitation on the number of reviews allowed, especially if a coach has won all his reviews.

You're right, which is why I think the entire limited-challenge thing needs to be scrapped entirely. All plays should be reviewable and all reviewable plays should be challengable at all times.

Often even when looking at the slo-mo replay a determination can not be made and it is still subjective.

Yes, and that's why you want the head ref with multiple angles making the call, and defaulting to the call on the field if it is not conclusive.

Human ref.s are part of the game.

Only because there weren't cameras and robots in 1920. :D

Peace

policy

All plays should be reviewable and all reviewable plays should be challengable at all times.

You're talking about creating a completely unwatchable game here. Do you understand that part of your argument? It's like creating an immobile car - it's got a perfect safety record but it doesn't serve its primary function.

Edited by Bronco Billy

You're talking about creating a completely unwatchable game here. Do you understand that part of your argument? It's like creating an immobile car - it's got a perfect safety record but it doesn't serve its primary function.

Yup.

If every play were reviewable and there were no limitations the game would not be watchable and the fan base would crumble away.

If coaches were given the option of reviewing all plays, then games would be atleast another hour long!

There were 2 very obvious blunders when it came to officiating in that game. I do think the booth from upstairs should be able to over-turn a call if they spot something that perhaps the ref failed to see. It only makes sense right?!

But then again when did officiating and rules make much sense!!? :D

I have a tough time agreeing with this statement, given that GB was jobbed out of 14 pts by the refs and missed a FG (the missed FG that hit the upright was after the Franks non-pushout call). I can't fathom how you'd think that WAS could match the 34 pts GB should have put on the board in this game, and that's with Favre badly missing some wide open WRs on deep patterns & throwing INTs instead. GB's D had the WAS running game by the throat virtually all game, and despite piratesownninja's assertion, Campbell ain't all that & a bag o' chips under center.

the pack had 225 total yards, 56 yards rushing, were 3 of 13 on third down....if you look at the big picture and not just two plays, they were lucky to have 17 points, let alone 34. that redskin defense ain't too shabby.

like i said, rather than :D about the refs, you should just be happy washington shot themselves in the foot enough that you were able to walk out with the W. :D

That's totally and completely ridiculous. There is unlimited replay in the Big Ten right now. LIterally, an official up in the booth has every camera feed hooked up to a TiVo, and he can review every play a couple of times from a couple of angles, just in the 10-20 seconds between the close of one play and the offense lining up for the next. If he sees something amiss, he buzzes down to the field and they chill out for 30 seconds while he confirms his suspcions and makes the call either way. It's fast, simple, and nearly transparent to the home viewer. No "challenges", no losses of timeouts, no split-screen drama as we watch the official under the hood and the two coaches prowling the sidelines, no hackneyed explanations afterwards.

It's a lot less obnoxious than the 20 minutes of commercials arguing over which fizzy domestic piss water has "more taste" that get sandwiched around every change of possession.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

I agree. Not a fix but certainly a badly officiated game/

A poorly officiated game is one thing; when it is poorly officiated in a wildly inconsistent manner, you start to wonder.

"Completely unwatchable"? What would be the difference from the current system? :D

If the challenge system remained in place, all that would have to change is which plays are challengable/reviewable. As policy, keg and I have pointed out, there's simply no reason a coach should be disallowed from challenging these supposed "judgment call" plays.

I don't expect perfection from the humans in stripes. With a replay system in place, however, I think fans are entitled to expect egregiously wrong calls to be reversed. :D

the pack had 225 total yards, 56 yards rushing, were 3 of 13 on third down....if you look at the big picture and not just two plays, they were lucky to have 17 points, let alone 34. that redskin defense ain't too shabby.

like i said, rather than :D about the refs, you should just be happy washington shot themselves in the foot enough that you were able to walk out with the W. :D

Well, in that case you could argue the teams are just about even...which I wouldn't disagree with. But to suggest the Redskins would beat the Packers 70% of the time is a stretch -- if you look at the big picture. :wacko:

That's totally and completely ridiculous. There is unlimited replay in the Big Ten right now. LIterally, an official up in the booth has every camera feed hooked up to a TiVo, and he can review every play a couple of times from a couple of angles, just in the 10-20 seconds between the close of one play and the offense lining up for the next. If he sees something amiss, he buzzes down to the field and they chill out for 30 seconds while he confirms his suspcions and makes the call either way. It's fast, simple, and nearly transparent to the home viewer. No "challenges", no losses of timeouts, no split-screen drama as we watch the official under the hood and the two coaches prowling the sidelines, no hackneyed explanations afterwards.

It's a lot less obnoxious than the 20 minutes of commercials arguing over which fizzy domestic piss water has "more taste" that get sandwiched around every change of possession.

Peace

policy

:D

I have to admit that despite seeing a half-dozen Big-10 games this year, I really didn't realize how different their replay system was. That's not my way of reinforcing the point that it's transparent to the viewer; I'm just not as keenly tuned in to the college games.

I'm going to have to pay more attention next Saturday. We'll settle this debate once and for all. :D

It was pretty disappointing game overall despite the win. Just seemed like offensive malaise. Brett looked like last years Brett to me. Not the same business-like approach from weeks 2-4. He was a little banged up though.

I kept waiting for us to lose the game. It reminded me of week 1 against the Eagles. I was chewing my fingers.

From an officiating standpoint, I thought the James Jones TD call was ridiculous. I feel like the rest of them go either way all the time in other games. Just part of the game.

I vote "no" on the inference that league officials are on the take. There just aren't as many judgement calls made by one guy as in the NBA. Instant replay is a huge difference here, despite it's inadequacies.

(Had a baby girl last week btw, please excuse if I come off as foggy) :D