[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How's that Peyton Manning pick working out for you ...

Grits and Shins

It’s been six weeks. How have teams that took Peyton Manning first overall (or even in the 1st round for that matter) fared? In my local league here is how the QBs rate based on their weekly average and when they were drafted:

Tom Brady 25.69 drafted 4.10

Tony Romo 23.18 drafted 5.10

Derek Anderson 20.507 free agent

Carson Palmer 20.168 drafted 4.07

Jake Delhomme 19.427 drafted 12.09

Brian Griese 19.38 free agent

Peyton Manning 19.352 drafted 2.05

Cleo Lemon 17.09 free agent

Jon Kitna 16.724 drafted 6.04

Brett Favre 16.6 drafted 11.08

Daunte Culpepper 16.073 drafted 14.08

David Garrard 15.972 free agent

Ben Roethlisberger 15.844 drafted 12.01

Matt Hasslebeck 15.667 drafted 7.04

Jason Campbell 15.008 free agent

Peyton Manning owner is 2-4

Tom Brady owner will be 0-6 or 1-5 pending tonight’s game

Carson Palmer owner is 2-4

Tony Romo owner is 5-1

Delhomme / Hasslebeck owner is 3-3

Kitna owner is 1-5

Jason Campbell / Vince Young owner is 6-0 or 5-1 pending tonight’s game

So anybody that drafted a QB before round 5 is suffering.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my local auction league the Manning owner will probably be 5-1 after this week (5-0 now) with the highest point total.. He spent about $100 of a total $200 for Manning. He did get a bit lucky with his RB's with Ronnie Brown and Sammy Morris. Hes comming back to earth recently though.

Yeah, but if the Manning, Brady or Palmer owner also got clipped with an injured or underperforming first round pick (Lj and Steven Jackson come to mind) that could have as much or more to do with their overall records. I'm thinking there's a lot more going on than just where they drafted their first QB.

Barring 33 made FGs by Tynes tonight I will be 4-2 and leading the league in points scored. I took Brady at 3.4 and Peterson at 5.4, those two plus my acquisition of TJ Housh for LJ seems to be working out so far.

But I would suspect that being injury free is what is most important to a winning record and not what QB you drafted and when.

Edited by SuperCharger

Just for the sake of argument....

A typical draft had the following players go in the forst round (or early second....)

Tomlinson, Ladainian

Jackson, Steven

Johnson, Larry

Gore, Frank

Alexander, Shaun

Addai, Joseph

Parker, Willie

Westbrook, Brian

Travis Henry

McGahee, Willis

Johnson, Rudi

Bush, Reggie

As of this moment, I would probably rather have Peyton Manning on my team than all but Tomlinson...maybe Bush.....maybe Westbrok, Addai, Parker. If LJ and SJax jump back up to snuff, then include them.

As I have said many times before.....you aren;t drafting Manning because you think he will run away as the top QB. You are drafting him because you know you can depend on him to be one of the top QBs.

An extremely viable draft could have followed Manning. The teams at the top this year are more likely to be the ones that have not been devastated by injuries, as that has rules the year IMO.

Funny I drafted Brady in the 2nd round when Peyton Manning went 1 pick before him. I made a comment that Brady will be the best QB in the league and everyone laughed? Why am I cursed? Its a damn curse to be right all the time! I proved that time after time here at The Huddle.

ugly :D tuna

I'm not going to look up all 5 of my leagues, but in my local the Manning owner is 2-4 and just traded him this morning. Palmer Owner and Brady owner are 3-3, Brady was traded to the 3-3 team and was at 0-3 at the time.

Yeah, but if the Manning, Brady or Palmer owner also got clipped with an injured or underperforming first round pick (Lj and Steven Jackson come to mind) that could have as much or more to do with their overall records. I'm thinking there's a lot more going on than just where they drafted their first QB.

MANNING OWNER

1.08 - Brian Westbrook

2.05 - Peyton Manning

3.08 - Thomas Jones

4.05 - Chris Chambers

5.08 - Jeremey Shockey

PALMER OWNER

1.06 - Joseph Addai

2.07 - Chad Johnson

3.06 - Marshawn Lynch

4.07 - Carson Palmer

5.06 - Todd Heap

BRADY OWNER

1.03 - Larry Johnson

2.10 - Larry Fitzgerald

3.03 - Lee Evans

4.10 - Tom Brady

5.03 - Deuce McAllister

Obviously the Brady owner hit some hard luck with LJ's slow start, Evans MIA and McAllister's injury ... but isn't that part of the problem with taking QBs early? When you take QBs early the other skills positions are filled with less quality.

The Brady owner did hit some tough luck, but the other two have some circumspect drafting skills. Both of them took TE's in the 5th round. Having taken a QB early, they needed to shore up other positions first. So yeah, taking a QB early kinda hurt them, but their own stupidity was really at fault.

The Brady owner did hit some tough luck, but the other two have some circumspect drafting skills. Both of them took TE's in the 5th round. Having taken a QB early, they needed to shore up other positions first. So yeah, taking a QB early kinda hurt them, but their own stupidity was really at fault.

Ahh.. but from a strategy standpoint, if you take a QB early you have to take the reaches at going for the top TEs and even defenses to give you a positional advantage somewhere other than QB, otherwise you are just trailing everyone at all of those other positions.

In my local 12 team league, I'll hopefully be 6-0 after tonight with the following draft

1.11 T Henry

2.02 Ronnie Brown (thank you DMD) :D

3.11 Kitna

4.02 Andre Johnson

5.11 Santonio Holmes

10.02 J Witten :wacko:

Manning owner (about to be 2-4)

1.06 Manning :wacko:

2.07 Harrison

3.06 MB III

4.07 Randy Moss :wacko:

5.06 Jamal Lewis

Palmer owner (about to be 2-4)

1.08 S Alexander

2.05 C Palmer

3.08 A Gates :D

4.05 Bears Def

5.08 DA Williams

Brady owner (about to be 3-3)

1.04 F Gore

2.09 McGahee

3.04 Brady

4.09 H Ward

5.04 D Branch

Edited by nogohawk

Funny I drafted Brady in the 2nd round when Peyton Manning went 1 pick before him. I made a comment that Brady will be the best QB in the league and everyone laughed? Why am I cursed? Its a damn curse to be right all the time! I proved that time after time here at The Huddle.

Brady's success has everything to do with you and nothing to do with Randy Moss and co. :D

Ahh.. but from a strategy standpoint, if you take a QB early you have to take the reaches at going for the top TEs and even defenses to give you a positional advantage somewhere other than QB, otherwise you are just trailing everyone at all of those other positions.

Exactly.

And if the QB you take early is average, like Peyton Manning this year, then the fact that you trailed at all the other positions compounds the problem. If the TE or DF you took early in an effort to re-coup some points lost at the RB/WR position miss then you are in dire straights.

I can't imagine anybody that took Manning 1st overall is having much success this year unless he found some real gold later in his draft.

Assuming it wasn't mandatory TE with high TE scoring

I can't imagine anybody that took Manning 1st overall is having much success this year unless he found some real gold later in his draft.

M. Lynch and A. Peterson were on the boards in most leagues until round 5 or 6 and they have both been very servicable to say the least. Taking a QB at number 1 or 2 is never in my strat and I agree it usually puts you behind the 8ball and requires you to get some steals later in the draft or get lucky like some people say.

I dunno. I'm sitting at 4-2 in Empire (tied for 2nd best W/L record), and I've scored the 2nd most total points (just a hair off Panther Dave, our league points leader). So I don't regret the Manning pick at all. Course, I got him at 3.1 in a 12-team league, so its not like I had to reach very far for him.

In one league, the Manning owner will be 3-3 after this week. In the other, the Manning owner will be 2-6(we play some weeks as doubleheaders). The 3-3 guy is pretty much a tool who drafts terribly every year and is lucky to be 3-3. The other guy normally has a decent team but he's been decimated by injuries and took a couple complete busts (ie Saints). Manning really has not won nor lost games for them so far this season...

While Manning certainly gives you security and stability to go with performance, he just doesnt outscore other QBs either at all or by enough to warrant taking him as early as you need to to get him IMO. As G & S post points out, there are several QBs currently outscoring Manning. All of which could be had later/cheaper than Peyton and some were no doubt not even drafted (ie D Anderson). This is why I never take a QB with my early picks as I find it easier to select a QB later who will out perform his draft position than to find a RB that will. I stick with this strategy and it works for me, but I can certainly see why people take Manning early each year and I dont really blame them. I do, however, usually beat them, though :D:D

:D

Manning owner is 2-3..he took him 2.14

i had the #1 and took LT, but took Brady as my #2 pick and 24th over all

Brady has been my number one point scorer and i'm 6-0

the injuries to the Colt WR's tell the story....and this, that Randy Moss had to say yesterday....

Could you compare Tom Brady to Daunte Culpepper in their best years?

"Tom Brady, hands down. I don’t say that because I'm here with Tom. I've always been a big fan of Tom Brady's. I've always had a saying that Peyton Manning has his wide receivers, why can’t Tom have his? Now that Tom has his, we'll see."