[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Falcons/Giants thread...

millerx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see, Warrick Dunn has 5 carries for 11 yards and Jerious Norwood has three runs for 82 yards and one TD.

Oh yeah, just another eternal headscratcher. I hate when teams do that. The Falcons are 1-4, what do they have to lose by opting for the more productive back? Their draft pick rank?

This has been perplexing to me all season, however... this is the first complete Falcons game I was able to see and Norwood is clearly a liability in pass protection. I was actually watching the game with this in mind. I'm definitely in the camp of you should give more shots to the guys that are able to do more with the ball. However it becomes addition by subtraction if Dunn is in the game because Dunn is clearly better in preventing the example below.

I understand Norwood needs more carries but for as much as Petrino wants to pass the ball and the already shorthanded (and struggling) OL, I can see why they want to keep Dunn on the field as much if not more than Norwood.

Example... the play where Joey was crushed by Pierce...

2-16-ATL 24 (1:59) (Shotgun) 13-J.Harrington sacked at ATL 14 for -10 yards (58-A.Pierce).

Timeout #1 by ATL at 01:50. Atlanta charged with timeout to prevent 13-J.Harrington from having to leave game.

Pierce was Norwood's guy. If anyone has this game TIVO'ed (I doubt this one will make NFL Replay as it was a pretty boring game) watch this play. Norwood completely whiffs on Pierce. Whiff is being generous. He sort of half-assed threw himself had the side of Pierce's legs. Pierce, of course, just brushes him aside and crushes Harrington for a 10 yard loss.

This was only the most clear example as Norwood was in on other passing downs. Other times Norwood made the wrong read or more half-assed attempts at getting in the way and resulting in Harrington being hurried.

Eventually the season will be officially lost and they might just say, "F it, give Norwood more playing time" but the move to put him on kick returns suggests that that is where Petrino is willing to give him more 'touches,' not via the running game.

Also, God help everyone in that offense if they switch to Leftwich. Leftwich is probably less mobile, less accurate, and has a slower release than Harrington which won't bode well for any of the skill position players.

Edited by kingfish247