[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Tom Brady the best QB ever?

baffleck

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning a Super Bowl is a team effort. While those rings support Brady's case, they don't anoint him as the best ever.

Brady has a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same sentence as Favre.

You've got to be kidding. Prime to prime I take Brady a 100 times out of a 100.

You've got to be kidding. Prime to prime I take Brady a 100 times out of a 100.

You must not have watched much football before the turn of the century, because Favre was hands-down the best QB in the league back in the mid-'90s. Three-time MVP with Antonio Freeman as his best receiving target. Meanwhile, Brady needs Randy Moss to eclipse 30 TDs.

There is always a flavor of the moment. Couple of years ago here every had annointed Warner as the best thing since the invention of the game. Then there was another hot QB that everyone jumped on as the best things since the invention of peanut butter. And most of the time it boils down to who has seen whom and how old the participants are.

Trust me.... we will have another QB down the road that will have the question asked/stated that they are the best thing since the invention of the world. And I think that is a good thing... invites discussion and keeps names from the past in the limelight. Plus it's always fun to see who goes overboard and who keeps a level head.

There is always a flavor of the moment. Couple of years ago here every had annointed Warner as the best thing since the invention of the game. Then there was another hot QB that everyone jumped on as the best things since the invention of peanut butter. And most of the time it boils down to who has seen whom and how old the participants are.

Trust me.... we will have another QB down the road that will have the question asked/stated that they are the best thing since the invention of the world. And I think that is a good thing... invites discussion and keeps names from the past in the limelight. Plus it's always fun to see who goes overboard and who keeps a level head.

Trying desparately to stay out of this discussion......but try and be a little fair here if you are going to make comparisons. Brady has been at/near the top of the heap for 6 years running, something that few QBs over time can claim. The comparisons to Warner and Jeff Garcia are silly.

Trying desparately to stay out of this discussion......but try and be a little fair here if you are going to make comparisons. Brady has been at/near the top of the heap for 6 years running, something that few QBs over time can claim. The comparisons to Warner and Jeff Garcia are silly.

What I am saying is that we have these discussions all the time....and this just happens to be Brady's time. That is the only comparison I was making. Was not comparing QB's per se.... just the every couple of years discussions.

Oh...and I never mentioned Garcia...and didn't even mean him... meant Favor. So I don't think I am silly or that my post was silly. Sorry you think so.

Brady isnt even top 5. This discussion is moronic. Wait till the sissy boy retires, then see where he stacks up. This is the first year he has been the best Qb in the league for that year. And this yr isnt even over yet. He was teh Qb of the some SB teams, but I think we all know those were a bit tainted. The tuck rule, Belicheat, etc......

What I am saying is that we have these discussions all the time....and this just happens to be Brady's time. That is the only comparison I was making. Was not comparing QB's per se.... just the every couple of years discussions.

Oh...and I never mentioned Garcia...and didn't even mean him... meant Favor. So I don't think I am silly or that my post was silly. Sorry you think so.

You are only responsible for the Warner half of the reference. The other half was a subtly placed dig at Ratsass :D

And again, I maintain that I think that having this discussion is dumb. So on that we agree :D

And he deserves props for that and will likely go down as one of the Top 10 to ever play in the NFL. But to say WHERE he will go at this point (especially with Favre and Peyton still going strong), I agree, is completely retarded.

Edited by Bill Swerski

for me, its Montana.

i think of the 49ers and their championships, and i think of Walsh and Montana.

i think of the Pats and their's, and i think of Belicheck and Vinatieri and Brady.

my memories are of Montana making TD passes to win games.

my memories are of Vinatieri hitting field goals to win games.

Brady is one of the best though. no argument here.

Montana should be at the top. After his injury he wasn't even given a chance to get his job back. While playing for KC he beat Elway in a final second Mon. nite game that was a classic in 93. He of all the players mentioned was the only one to go to a new team and still be just as capable and exciting. All the afore mentioned players stayed with the same team their whole careers. Montana was the only one who had to go somewhere else.

I would put Marino above Montana

You must not have watched much football before the turn of the century, because Favre was hands-down the best QB in the league back in the mid-'90s. Three-time MVP with Antonio Freeman as his best receiving target. Meanwhile, Brady needs Randy Moss to eclipse 30 TDs.

I've been an avid fan since about 1975 when the Steel Curtain was in full force. Does that count?

Like I said, I'll take Brady 100 times out of a 100. Dude's money.

Favre was decent and still is for the most part, but he wasn't even the best QB of his era.

in a sense, i agree with you....but i don't recall ANYONE ever contemplating kurt warner as one of the all-time greats, let alone best ever. so that is sort of a weak comparison. brady's done it over enough time that it is clear he belongs somewhere in the discussion.

:D

Sometimes I don't get you....

I know you are making a comment about Favre herre, so forgive my redirect....but does it take anything away from Manning's TD numbers because he has had Harrison to throw to all of these years and Wayne for the last several? :D Why should Brady having a real WR take away from what he's doing?

Favre is great. He has a lot of numbers, and I think he belongs in the discussion. His success also need to be looked at in terms of his failures, in particular the number of INTs he's thrown and probably more importantly his TD/INT ratio. That's where he gets hurt when looking at numbers.

Drew Bledsoe has top 10 all time numbers.....

Edited by Caveman_Nick

i still think a strong argument can be made for marino as the greatest QB ever. in his prime, he was unreal. the combination of the accuracy on his passes, the quickness of his release, and the zip he got on the ball are still unmatched. guys like elway and favre had stronger arms, brady and montana were just as accurate, manning probably has more pocket presence....but i think marino stands alone as the greatest pure passer the game has ever seen, with manning being close to joining him.

:D

Sometimes I don't get you....

I know you are making a comment about Favre herre, so forgive my redirect....but does it take anything away from Manning's TD numbers because he has had Harrison to throw to all of these years and Wayne for the last several? :D Why should Brady having a real WR take away from what he's doing?

Favre is great. He has a lot of numbers, and I think he belongs in the discussion. His success also need to be looked at in terms of his failures, in particular the number of INTs he's thrown and probably more importantly his TD/INT ratio. That's where he gets hurt when looking at numbers.

Drew Bledsoe has top 10 all time numbers.....

My point was that Favre has out-performed Brady (AND Manning, for that matter) statistically with inferior receiving options, and it wasn't meant as a slight of either. Back in 1997, Favre was unquestionably the best QB in the league. Even with Young and Elway still having considerable success, the gap there was much larger than the Brady/Manning gap.

As far as Favre's INTs, most of those occurred when his defense was giving it up like a $10 hooker at Mardi Gras. While he certainly deserves some blame for that, he hasn't had the luxury of a top-tier defense to keep the score close in since the late '90s. Others, like Brady and Montana, have been a bit more fortunate in that regard.

i still think a strong argument can be made for marino as the greatest QB ever. in his prime, he was unreal. the combination of the accuracy on his passes, the quickness of his release, and the zip he got on the ball are still unmatched. guys like elway and favre had stronger arms, brady and montana were just as accurate, manning probably has more pocket presence....but i think marino stands alone as the greatest pure passer the game has ever seen, with manning being close to joining him.

I Saw a lot of Marino, and in his prime he was so good that he hurt his own team's chances at rebuilding. I think when all is said and done Manning will probably be considered better, but you really have to factor in that the Dolphins did not have the same opportunity to surround Marino with talent that the Colts had with Manning in the age of Salary Cap and Free Agency.

Still, Manning makes my jaw drop often with some of the throws he makes. If I had to guess as to who would go down as the best ever, I think it will be Peyton Manning.

I Saw a lot of Marino, and in his prime he was so good that he hurt his own team's chances at rebuilding. I think when all is said and done Manning will probably be considered better, but you really have to factor in that the Dolphins did not have the same opportunity to surround Marino with talent that the Colts had with Manning in the age of Salary Cap and Free Agency.

Still, Manning makes my jaw drop often with some of the throws he makes. If I had to guess as to who would go down as the best ever, I think it will be Peyton Manning.

I'm as big a Peyton fan as anyone, but my brain tells me that Favre will be recognized by most intelligent football fans (that excludes ESPN analysts and Peter King) as the best ever for the following reasons...

- He'll own most of the major passing records (TDs, yds, attempts, completions) by the time he retires (except for QB rating). And while Peyton might eventually break his yds and attempts records, he probably won't break his TD passes record.

- His record 3 League MVPs will probably not be broken.

- He was easily the best QB in the league for most of his prime.

- He has the token "I played on a championship team" card in his pocket, which some mistakenly believe is necessary for this title.

- His streak of games started is as impressive as Cal Ripken's.

- He's still productive in his late 30's.

- He doesn't play on a polarizing team, has a very human Joe Six-pack personality/lifestyle that most people can relate to and, most importantly, plays the game with a level of enthusiasm and emotion that is very endearing. He's easily the most "likable" person on the list.

Edited by Bill Swerski

i agree with that. peyton will probably go down as the one who had it all. off-the-charts talent and skill as a passer, wins, records, intangibles, you name it. but it will be hard for me to put ANY football player head and shoulders above such awesome talents as montana, elway and marino. part of me says those guys represent awesomeness that can only be equalled, not surpassed. if anyone CAN do it though, peyton can.