[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chambers to SD

LooGie

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Chambers sometimes drops passes he should catch. However, in the overall scheme this is a huge improvement for his situation. He had trash at QB for years and still managed to produce some respectable numbers - it can only go up. Personally, the biggest jump in value could be Rivers.

I agree that Chambers sometimes drops passes he should catch. However, in the overall scheme this is a huge improvement for his situation. He had trash at QB for years and still managed to produce some respectable numbers - it can only go up. Personally, the biggest jump in value could be Rivers.

I agree that Rivers takes a big jump down the stretch...

Chambers will have you on your feet as he makes one handed catches for a TD. Then he will have you screaming profanities so loud that your neighbors ponder weather to call 911 or not as he drops a crucial 3rd down pass that hits him square in the numbers during a 4th quarter rally that once again falls short.

Unfortunately it was the later that became a bigger part of his overall game. But like Flip-Side said, I think Chambers is a good guy and I hope he has some decent years in SD.

Actually Chambers is very familiar with Norv's offense. He was the Dolphins OC for 2 years. Chambers led the team in receptions both years and in 2003 had a pretty good year with 64 receptions for 963 yards and 11 TD's. This was with Jay Fiedler at QB too.

I think he'll fit in quite well in SD.

AND... Cameron was the OC in San Diego last year, who inherited the Turner offense and has run the same system. Chambers walks into a system with a HC/OC that knows him and into a system he knows the terminology of (Turner has kept the majority of the terminology that Cameron installed). What he has to do is get comfortable with Rivers. How many hours a day you think those two will spend together the next two weeks? :D

This is a great move for the Bolts. They now have an established #1 WR that has been to a Pro-Bowl while playing on lesser teams (offensively). I thnk he walks in and becomes the clear #1 WR target in this offense. This frees VJax up to face the "other" CB, and he excelled in his role as the #2 WR last year. This should open things up in the middle for Gates as well. The move should upgrade all the SD passing production. It also makes it harder for teams to stack the box on LT (which could reduce his receptions for PPR leagues). The right situation can do wonders for a guy to step up his concentration/game (see Moss). Maybe equates to better consistency?

Against the Raiders, Rivers completed 2/3 of his passes. Though there were only 14 completions (14/21), he completed passes to SEVEN different receivers! Chambers will only open things up further. It becomes a "pick your poison" senario for defenses. Focus on LT, Gates, Chambers which lets VJax run free? I like the way that sounds!

Though not a big name, Rivers relied heavily on Eric Parker, who was a solid pro and clutch reciever. Chambers gives Rivers the experienced pro he has been lacking this season. The Chargers had to do something when they realized that Parker was not coming back this season after TC toe surgery.

On the face, a #2 may seem a little steep, but I think they get exactly the type of player they needed to move forward the rest of the season. An amazing stat I saw tonight is that Chambers #s are more than double all the Chargers WR COMBINED! That is the type of experience they have been missing, on the field, and I completely agree with the move!

Edited to add:

I wonder how good of a blocker he is? Is he the type of WR that will get downfield and take a DB out of a play? That is as important in LTs success as anything. Charger WRs have been great blockers the last few years!

Edited by McBoog

I still can't see how any Chambers owner is happy about this. He is going to a new team where he will have to learn a new system and will be the 4th option behind the best RB and best TE in the league. Oh yeah, and it's the beginning of week 7 so it's not like he has all of TC to learn the new system/verbiage etc.... I say no way Chambers is productive this year. Absolutely NO WAY.

Who is Miami's head coach?

Who's OC was he last year?

Who's system was he running as OC?

to make it simple:

Chambers has been playing in the same offense all year in Miami that San Diego runs.

...and Chambers would be the 3rd option...after LT and Gates. not 4th.

Edited by rebdog

Gates and Tomlinson spoke of how defenses would have to consider double-teaming the 5-foot-11, 210-pound Chambers, who averaged 62 catches, 879 yards and seven touchdowns in his first six NFL seasons. They said if opponents decide they need to spend more resources on the tight end and receivers, they would have to commit fewer players to stop the run.

“Then . . . ” Gates said, his voice trailing off as he smiled and pointed to Tomlinson's locker.

For his part, Chambers, 29, said he was “shocked” by the move but excited about the opportunity. Chambers spent two seasons (2002-03) playing in Norv Turner's system when Turner was Miami's offensive coordinator, so his transition should be fairly minimal. Especially since new Dolphins coach Cam Cameron is running the same offense.

“Cam's saying I could pretty much step in that huddle and pretty much know everything that's going on right now,” Chambers said yesterday before boarding a flight in Fort Lauderdale. He is expected to begin practicing with the Chargers today and should have no trouble being ready for the team's next game, Oct. 28 against Houston...

Said Turner: “It's a bonus he's been in the system, he knows the plays, he knows the offense and he's a guy that's going to come in right away and be able to help us.”

...Though some critics will contend Chambers is inconsistent and drops too many passes, some of his new teammates noted he has been on subpar teams – the Dolphins are 19-35 the past 3½ seasons – and speculated he might have a “Randy Moss-type resurgence” with the Chargers.

:D

I still can't see how any Chambers owner is happy about this. He is going to a new team where he will have to learn a new system and will be the 4th option behind the best RB and best TE in the league. Oh yeah, and it's the beginning of week 7 so it's not like he has all of TC to learn the new system/verbiage etc.... I say no way Chambers is productive this year. Absolutely NO WAY.

Turner and Cameron were on the same team with LT. Its a very similar system. Both worked with one another. Thats why it wont take any time to get familiar with the offence.

Who is Miami's head coach?

Who's OC was he last year?

Who's system was he running as OC?

to make it simple:

Chambers has been playing in the same offense all year in Miami that San Diego runs.

...and Chambers would be the 3rd option...after LT and Gates. not 4th.

Ok, so I overlooked the coaching and systems - so he has been in a similar system for 6 games this year as he was 4 years ago. Still, as I've said all along, he will have to compete with the best RB and best TE in the league. I'm not so sure he still won't be behind VJax which will make him the 4th option. Even as the 3rd option (considering who is 1 & 2) I would not be happy as a Chambers owner. I've been stating the same thing all along but everybody wants to pounce on the system/coaching similarities and proclaim that as evidence that he will produce. I am still sorry to say that Chambers will not be a productive fantasy option THIS YEAR. I will pull up this thread at season's end.

Ok, so I overlooked the coaching and systems - so he has been in a similar system for 6 games this year as he was 4 years ago. Still, as I've said all along, he will have to compete with the best RB and best TE in the league. I'm not so sure he still won't be behind VJax which will make him the 4th option. Even as the 3rd option (considering who is 1 & 2) I would not be happy as a Chambers owner. I've been stating the same thing all along but everybody wants to pounce on the system/coaching similarities and proclaim that as evidence that he will produce. I am still sorry to say that Chambers will not be a productive fantasy option THIS YEAR. I will pull up this thread at season's end.

i'm right here with ya Brent, when WR's move teams they always struggle I dont care if he was in a similar system or not, there much more to it than that.

when WR's move teams they always struggle I dont care if he was in a similar system or not,

Always? Owens, R. Moss, Javon Walker, andSantana Moss are a couple WR's off the top of my head that have shown the ability to succeed immediately in a new enviroment (granted Owens and Moss are considered studs). I'm not sure I can think of many WR trades mid-season.

Deion Branch came to Seattle last year, after Week 3, and finished up 2nd on the team (behind Djax) in receptions and yards. Oddly, his production tailed off at the end of the year.

Edited by bushwacked

I am a Chambers owner and I stated earlier that im happy for the change. Chambers wasnt doing much in MIA but now his value has to go up with the better QB and team. If i remember correctly SD is better then MIA.

i'm right here with ya Brent, when WR's move teams they always struggle I dont care if he was in a similar system or not, there much more to it than that.

so you guys don't like it for Chambers because???

usually WRs are very happy to be in an offense with a good running game. LT

usually WRs are very happy to have another solid threat in the passing game. Gates

i believe they also want a decent OL to protect their QB....and a good QB.

if you're suggesting that he'll struggle because his offense is too good and/or he's not smart enough to gel with his new team quickly enough, i'll take that chance.

Edited by rebdog

so you guys don't like it for Chambers because???

usually WRs are very happy to be in an offense with a good running game. LT

usually WRs are very happy to have another solid threat in the passing game. Gates

i believe they also want a decent OL to protect their QB....and a good QB.

if you're suggesting that he'll struggle because his offense is too good and/or he's not smart enough to gel with his new team quickly enough, i'll take that chance.

Because he's now the 3rd or 4th option when in MIA he was option #1 or #2. What's so hard to understand about why I'm skeptical? I'm not saying he's going to suck balls, I'm saying he's going to be even more inconsistent than he already was. I had a guy I could plug into my lineup and guarantee he wouldn't lay an egg on me, now I'm not so confident.

Because he's now the 3rd or 4th option when in MIA he was option #1 or #2. What's so hard to understand about why I'm skeptical? I'm not saying he's going to suck balls, I'm saying he's going to be even more inconsistent than he already was. I had a guy I could plug into my lineup and guarantee he wouldn't lay an egg on me, now I'm not so confident.

sorry, but you are very hard to understand.

if you were satisfied with having a guy go for some yardage every week, never score, and be no real threat then your expectations are pretty low. at least now he'll have the chance to show what he can do.

....and please stop saying 4th option. the guy's had a career and been to the ProBowl before. i don't think Vincent Jackson qualifies as the 3rd option ahead of him.

I'll buy this take, in terms of inconsistent FF production. I am not positive he will have a lot of monster games. 3-5 catches a game for 60+ yards as an average. Throw in a big game occasionally and more TD opportunities than he had in Miami, when they choose to stop LT or Gates and you have pretty much a #3 maybe #2 WR for your Fantasy Team.

In real football, this is where the move pays off big! I go back to the "choose your poison". There is finally a WR on this team that will demand more attention, making it easier on the other two. Take the three away, you still have VJax running around in the same situation he did at the end of last year. He made Champ look silly on a few plays in Denver, so there has to be some talent there (he is still only a year three guy) :D Having Chambers on the other side, a veteran WR on the field, can only help VJax be better!

I'll buy this take, in terms of inconsistent FF production. I am not positive he will have a lot of monster games. 3-5 catches a game for 60+ yards as an average. Throw in a big game occasionally and more TD opportunities than he had in Miami, when they choose to stop LT or Gates and you have pretty much a #3 maybe #2 WR for your Fantasy Team.

In real football, this is where the move pays off big! I go back to the "choose your poison". There is finally a WR on this team that will demand more attention, making it easier on the other two. Take the three away, you still have VJax running around in the same situation he did at the end of last year. He made Champ look silly on a few plays in Denver, so there has to be some talent there (he is still only a year three guy) :D Having Chambers on the other side, a veteran WR on the field, can only help VJax be better!

Agree completely with this. It was a GREAT move for the Chargers, not for my FF team.

sorry, but you are very hard to understand.

if you were satisfied with having a guy go for some yardage every week, never score, and be no real threat then your expectations are pretty low. at least now he'll have the chance to show what he can do.

....and please stop saying 4th option. the guy's had a career and been to the ProBowl before. i don't think Vincent Jackson qualifies as the 3rd option ahead of him.

All I want is 6 rec for 75 yards or so a week, a TD would be icing. I dont think he'll do that in SD, but I remain hopeful.

...i don't think Vincent Jackson qualifies as the 3rd option ahead of him.

Chambers comes into this offense as the #1 WR. I don't see how that is so hard to understand. He knows the system, did well in it before and needs a couple weeks to get some timing (better stated, feel) down with Rivers (good time for the bye!) The system is more about running the routs and being where you are supposed to be on the field. "Timing patterns" (whatever those are) are a very different animal anyway and are not a big part of this system.

Everyone has been ripping the Bolts for poor WRs, and now many of these same people are trying to make out like Chambers is not as good as what they had? Chambers, in the right situation, is a PRO BOWL WR. You cannot explain that away! How many pro bowl caliber players, that fill a specific team need, can you pick up with a #2? I think the Bolts got lucky on this one. Only time will tell though!

30 yards on two grabs is basically an egg, which is what would happen in Miami. Without Trent Green, things went downhill for Chambers. He's #31 on the WR list in my main (0.5 PPR), and week 4 and 5 were 3.1 and 2.9. This whole thing about which option he is sorta moot. LT is the RB that will catch some balls, but those plays are called in the huddle and the others happen when the deep ball is covered. Gates will be the main 20 yard option, and my guess is Chambers will be the long option. If Rivers has time, he can throw the long ball now that he has someone who can get open. I would assume Chambers is pretty happy about this. SD looks like a lock to win the division, so he's on a team that is improving and looking at a probable post season game. The Kool-Aid is icy cold and the glass is half full. In Miami, without T. Green... meh... things have to get better, and there's a chance this could be a very good fit for the team. Look at what Moss brought to the Pats.

As a lifelong Dolphin fan, I must say, those who are getting excited about Chambers doing anything close to a pro bowl act in S.D. will be humbled very quickly. He has hands of stone, and can not catch the deep ball, won't dive for the deep ball and pretty much is what he is. A #2 wide out at best.

The arguments that he never has had a real qb would be true, but, when the ball his you in the numbers and you can't catch it is not the work of your crappy qb.

To all those who think Chambers is the answer in S.D. please check out last game Chambers played against Cleveland, and you will see what I mean, they threw deep to Chambers at least 5 or 6 times, how many times did Chambers dive? None, how many did he catch? None. You check the tape and tell me those throws were not catchable.

For Miami this is a steal. They invested a 2nd for Chambers, and turn around and get a 2nd back for a 29 year old overrated WR. Oh one last tidbit, that second rounder they recieved for Welker last year is actually looking damn good this year, he is starting at center. And for those who haven't noticed, Miami's offensive line has improved this year.

Fantasy wise, because he is not the first option in SD I can't see how his stock goes up at all. IMHO it goes down, less looks, means less drops, err catches.