[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey Ratteree

Caveman_Nick

Seriously.........When the "Brady is the bestest QB ever" conversations start, I am among the first to roll my eyes. It's such a dumb discussion because it's something that is beyond direct measure.

That said....

But as with most great teams, the system is greater than the player. You could just as easily plug Jeff Garcia and Galloway into the Brady / Moss roles, and this team would likely not miss a beat.

JMO, but that might be the dumbest thing I have ever seen written at The Huddle.

But.........I figured that I would bring it up here so you could defend the statement. If you get the chance :D

It means just what it said. And the two statements are mutually exclusive.

The Brady is the greatest quarterback ever talk has begun. And his numbers justify that.

You could plug Garcia and Galloway into that system, and they would still be pounding opponents every week.

I think the point I was trying to make is, lets give the system some credit. Lets not give it all to Brady.

Not difficult.

I don't see anything dumb about the statement at all. Plug two competent players into the Brady and Moss spots and you still have the best team in the league. They are just that much better than everybody else. Except maybe the Colts. Maybe.

It means just what it said. And the two statements are mutually exclusive.

The Brady is the greatest quarterback ever talk has begun. And his numbers justify that.

You could plug Garcia and Galloway into that system, and they would still be pounding opponents every week.

I think the point I was trying to make is, lets give the system some credit. Lets not give it all to Brady.

Not difficult.

Not difficult, but not too accurate either.

When will people learn to look at history and take it for what it is? Brady is what makes that system work. How else did he lead the NFL in TD passes in 2002 throwing to Troy Brown and David Patten? How else did the team make the AFC Championship game with Reche Caldwell and Jabbar Gaffney as it's starting flankers in 2006? How else is he on pace to toss more TD passes than anyone else in history for a single season in the first year he has an actual WR corps. This is because of the system? There's a grand total of one other QB in the league that I think could execute that offense close to and/or at the level Brady is, and that's P Manning.

I dunno about the best ever discussion. Way to premature for me. I understand why it is happening, and that part of what you said is not bothersome....I just don't agree at this point. But to say that you could plug anyone into that QB position and it would keep rolling is giving way too much credit to "the system".

One more thing....

Galloway isn't half the player Moss is, and Garcia isn't half the player Brady is. Take away any team's top 2 players on one side of the ball and replace them with "lunch pail" or slightly above level players, and that team will suffer greatly.

EDIT: The Colts offense is greatly refined thanks to the consistency of Tom Moore, P Manning, M Harrison, and the O-Line personnel. Would that offense keep rolling if you took away Manning and Harrison and plugged in Garcia and Galloway?

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Not difficult, but not too accurate either.

When will people learn to look at history and take it for what it is? Brady is what makes that system work. How else did he lead the NFL in TD passes in 2002 throwing to Troy Brown and David Patten? How else did the team make the AFC Championship game with Reche Caldwell and Jabbar Gaffney as it's starting flankers in 2006? How else is he on pace to toss more TD passes than anyone else in history for a single season in the first year he has an actual WR corps. This is because of the system? There's a grand total of one other QB in the league that I think could execute that offense close to and/or at the level Brady is, and that's P Manning.

I dunno about the best ever discussion. Way to premature for me. I understand why it is happening, and that part of what you said is not bothersome....I just don't agree at this point. But to say that you could plug anyone into that QB position and it would keep rolling is giving way too much credit to "the system".

As a well known Patriots-Disliker :D, I'm in 100% agreement with you. Brady and Manning are on a level far above the other QB's in the league. Trying to give a system credit for what Brady has done and is doing is completely unfair, imho.

There is no need to dig deep into the semantics pool here.

Brady is good, may be one of the greatest. I think he is getting a little too much credit, and the team around him is not getting enough. The guy has barely been touched this season, the offensive line is pushing people around. Bottom line Brady gettin too much love - team around him not gettin enough.

Can we stop all this Patriots talk? I devoted almost an entire column to them, and I already feel dirty. This thread is not helping.

How else did the team make the AFC Championship game with Reche Caldwell and Jabbar Gaffney as it's starting flankers in 2006?

By having the second-best defense (in terms of points allowed) in the league? Watson, Dillon, and Maroney were big reasons last year as well.

How else is he on pace to toss more TD passes than anyone else in history for a single season in the first year he has an actual WR corps.

I agree with your overall point, but let's not pretend that Deion Branch and Troy Brown (in his prime) are the same level of crap as Reche Caldwell and Jabbar Gaffney. Branch is easily as good as Stallworth and Welker isn't any better than Brown was five years ago. The major difference is Moss, who is the most physically-talented person to ever play the position and arguably the most dominant WRs of his era. Brady indeed did have an "actual WR corps" back when they were winning SBs, but I agree that Gaffney and especially Caldwell :D arguably cost them another Lombardi Trophy last season.

Edited by Bill Swerski

By having the second-best defense (in terms of points allowed) in the league? Watson, Dillon, and Maroney were big reasons last year as well.

I agree with your overall point, but let's not pretend that Deion Branch and Troy Brown (in his prime) are the same level of crap as Reche Caldwell and Jabbar Gaffney. Branch is easily as good as Stallworth and Welker isn't any better than Brown was five years ago. The major difference is Moss, who is probably the most physically-talented person to ever play the position. Brady indeed did have an "actual WR corps" back when they were winning SBs, but I agree that Gaffney and especially Caldwell :D arguably cost them another Lombardi Trophy last season.

Note that I did not make references to the seasons in which Branch was a major contributor. I considered Branch to be a "real WR", even if he was flanked by Givens, who people also fail to realize only succeeded because he had a damn good QB getting him the ball accurately.

And by God, I am a huge Troy Brown fan, but he has never been worthy of being a #1 WR. He's a terrific slot receiver, and a very reliable possession receiver. He has never had a shred of big play ability. It's a complete farce to try and represent that any team would aspire to have Troy Brown as their top pass catcher, even if every team would want to have him aboard as a reliable role player. Claiming that Brady's success had anything to do with Troy Brown is about as legitimate as attirbuting Manning's success to Brandon Stokely. They are the same player.

The defense references also get a little old. You are right in saying that it was a big part of why they got there, but defense alone rarely gets a team there. Not never, but very rarely. And it makes no sense to list that as a reason to mitigate the role of the offense, which if you look at last year was the #7 team in points scored with those same crappy WRs Caldwell and Gaffeny.

And by God, I am a huge Troy Brown fan, but he has never been worthy of being a #1 WR. He's a terrific slot receiver, and a very reliable possession receiver. He has never had a shred of big play ability. It's a complete farce to try and represent that any team would aspire to have Troy Brown as their top pass catcher, even if every team would want to have him aboard as a reliable role player. Claiming that Brady's success had anything to do with Troy Brown is about as legitimate as attirbuting Manning's success to Brandon Stokely. They are the same player.

And like Stokley in his prime (with the Ravens), Brown was a solid #2 option in his. Brown was a lot like Bobby Engram: perhaps better-used in the slot, but he would consistently out-perform the guy in front of him on the depth chart.

So I would say that having a combo of Branch and Brown wasn't really that bad. It's lot like what Seattle has now in Branch and Engram (although Burleson is probably better than Givens).

The defense references also get a little old. You are right in saying that it was a big part of why they got there, but defense alone rarely gets a team there. Not never, but very rarely. And it makes no sense to list that as a reason to mitigate the role of the offense, which if you look at last year was the #7 team in points scored with those same crappy WRs Caldwell and Gaffeny.

Well, defense and special teams are undoubtedly what got them the championship in SB 36. The '01 Pats leaned VERY heavily on that defense, much in the same way that the '00 Ravens and '02 Bucs did. But after that, yes, Brady's ability to get great results out of average-to-above-average WR talent (as all HOF QBs do) was HUGH... and dare I say NECESSARY for those other two rings. With their secondary breaking down in the 4th quarter of SB 38, Brady stepped up and earned that SB MVP.

Edited by Bill Swerski

So I would say that having a combo of Branch and Brown wasn't really that bad. It's lot like what Seattle has now in Branch and Engram (although Burleson is probably better than Givens).

Prior to this year, Branch and Brown was his best receiver combination, and that was in 2003. And it's still not all that good....

Anyways, the main point here is that IMO there is no chance this offense is putting up anywhere near to 38 PPG -brady, moss and +garcia, galloway. The step down is so big. I see that as replacing LT and Gates with Crumpler and McGahee. Where is SD if you make that talent substitution?

This is the kind of outrageous statement that sports radio guys make solely to wrangle up some callers. If you switch in players like Garcia and Galloway for Brady and Moss, the Pats would probably still make playoffs on the strength of the defense. But to say they would still be dominate or even a real Super Bowl contender is asinine.

This is the kind of outrageous statement that sports radio guys make solely to wrangle up some callers. If you switch in players like Garcia and Galloway for Brady and Moss, the Pats would probably still make playoffs on the strength of the defense. But to say they would still be dominate or even a real Super Bowl contender is asinine.

Or the fact that as of right now they have a 5 game lead in the division after week 6.

:wacko:

Uh-oh....the fun police showed up....

Lol

Ok all this talk and I decided to check out what all the fuss was about. Now that's a bigger slam than what you just said, Caveman. I haven't read it yet. You have. :D

"The Patriots are teflon. " I agree 100%. More than 100%.

"I am in mourning this morning." This obviously is correct as well. :wacko:

"People are crowning Tom Brady the greatest QB in history, and his stats so far this season justify that thinking." Ok so far. :D

"But as with most great teams, the system is greater than the player." Yep the system where all players come to and the only requirement is that they must have a white picket fence in their backyard. True. :D

"You could just as easily plug Jeff Garcia and Galloway into the Brady / Moss roles, and this team would likely not miss a beat. " Ok. I got to draw the line somewhere. I'll go with here.

Or the fact that as of right now they have a 5 game lead in the division after week 6.

Any halfway decent team would make the playoffs given that kind of lead. I'm talking about if the Pats started off the season with Garcia and Galloway...and weren't in that god awful division.