[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Priest Holmes--the homer view

Chief Dick

Here is what I think about the Priest Holmes returning to practice situation:

1. I think he is a fool for coming back.

2. I think this may be nothing more than a ploy to piss off Larry Johnson so he will pull his thumb out of his ass.

3. I don't see much fantasy value for Holmes, simply because he won't get enough touches per game to make a big FANTASY impact.

4. I think the Chiefs have basically told him to either show up or we cut you and you get no more money from us.

1. I think he is a fool for coming back.

2. I think this may be nothing more than a ploy to piss off Larry Johnson so he will pull his thumb out of his ass.

3. I don't see much fantasy value for Holmes, simply because he won't get enough touches per game to make a big FANTASY impact.

4. I think the Chiefs have basically told him to either show up or we cut you and you get no more money from us.

+4

He is a must start this week.

Why? you may ask.

Because one of the guys that I'm playing against this week is starting him. So, I'd say he gets at least 2 scores.

That is just my luck!!

1. I think he is a fool for coming back.I don't think he's a fool. This is who Priest is, he is someone who never gives up at anything. He wants to prove to HIMSELF that he can do it.

2. I think this may be nothing more than a ploy to piss off Larry Johnson so he will pull his thumb out of his ass.I'm sorry, but I an't buying this, I think this is a flawed view of what Priest Holmes is about

3. I don't see much fantasy value for Holmes, simply because he won't get enough touches per game to make a big FANTASY impact.I'd say you definately have to have him if you own LJ. Priest has a nose for the end zone the same way Alexander and Tomlinson do, I'd imagine he'll score at least 5 TD's.

4. I think the Chiefs have basically told him to either show up or we cut you and you get no more money from us.I think they did say this early on, before camp, but now, no. He's going to play you can bank on that.

Here's my homer view. I think Priest Holmes is a special football player, he has the heart, desire and competitive fire that any fan or organization wants on their team. I welcome him back with open arms. He is a quiet leader, and an inspiration for many. PH being back in the fold does nothing but improve this football team. I wish him the best and think he's going to be just fine. I think it's pretty funny that many think he is going to do nothing with this last go around. Just as he's done a handful of time in his career, he'll prove his pundits wrong. I can't wait to see him leaping over the top of the line for a TD :D I always give my opinion on here and never come in and hoot and holler when I'm right, but I'll tell you this. I will be smiling while he completes his comeback and proves his doubters :D

Any word on him practicing yesterday? I thought he was going to hit the field and give it a go?

Practiced limited. Waters said he's BAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!

Holmes returns to practice with the Chiefs

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Chiefs running back Priest Holmes finally got to practice with his teammates on Wednesday.

Adam Teicher's vlog: Priest can help Chiefs

Video: "I still have a lot in me"

More Chiefs coverage

What's going to happen with Priest Holmes?

He's going to be on the active roster against Oakland

He'll be activated, but not until after the bye week

You kidding me? No way he plays again for the Chiefs

Priest who?

Your vote has been counted, thank you for voting.

They might have been just a handful of practice plays, but they transported guard Brian Waters and maybe the rest of the Chiefs back to a time when Priest Holmes reigned as the NFL’s premier running back.

“He hit a couple of plays where you saw the cuts and you said, ‘Wow, he’s back,’ ” said Waters, who played with Holmes in his earlier time with the Chiefs. “But you know how it is. It’s the first day. Now he’s got to go back (today) and he’s going to be sore and we’ll see how quickly his body recovers. He didn’t really get hit. He got banged a little bit, but not much.”

Holmes, written off as finished many times since he last played with the Chiefs almost two years ago, returned to their practice field Wednesday. Even he was pleased with what he found.

“One of the things I can take from practice is that I still have a lot in me,” Holmes said. “That was one of the surprising things.”

Coach Herm Edwards continued to hold out the possibility that Holmes could play in Sunday’s game against the Raiders in Oakland. Holmes was careful not to push the Chiefs into making that decision, but he still registered his vote.

“I’m ready now,” Holmes said. “It’s really not up to me. I don’t really even deal with how I feel right now. It’s a matter of when they give me the green light.”

The Chiefs have 21 days to make a decision on Holmes. They can activate him, release him or return him to the non-football injury list, which in effect would end his season.

Judging from Edwards’ comments, it’s no longer a matter of whether the Chiefs will activate Holmes, but when. It could happen in time for Sunday’s game. Larry Johnson’s miserable season continued in last week’s game against Cincinnati and Holmes could provide a lift to the floundering running game.

“He has still has quickness in the hole and burst and great acceleration and good vision,” Edwards said. “He hasn’t lost that. Maybe he doesn’t have what he had four years ago, but he’s still OK.

“We’ll see how he feels (today). That’s the whole key now is how he’s going to feel (today) and the next day. How is his body going to feel? He got banged around a little bit. He seemed to take it OK.”

Edwards didn’t specify how the Chiefs might use Holmes or how much he might play. For his part, Holmes was careful not to create a sense of competition between himself and Johnson.

“As far as competing with LJ, that’s not anything that’s necessary to do,” he said. “It’s not so much if I can do something that Larry hasn’t. It’s just a matter of if I can do something. I believe that definitely there are so many things I can do. I still believe in the old saying that scoring is one thing that establishes a player and separates him from other players. One thing I’m capable of doing is scoring touchdowns.”

Holmes also said he would willingly accept any role the Chiefs might give him.

“I’ve taken five carries, and I’ve scored several touchdowns on them,” he said. “I’ve taken five carries and had 100 yards. There are things I’m capable of doing within five carries.

“Whether it’s five, eight or 10 (carries), even if it’s one, hopefully it will be the one that will be for a touchdown.”

Edited by Hat Trick

2 homers, 2 pretty different opinions. Interesting :D

Been around long? CD and Muck rarely agree with me on Chiefs issues. I won't say who's usually right or wrong :D

If you take the emotion out of the argument, it appears that the Chiefs felt good enough about Holmes to trade Bennett. Kolby Smith was unimpressive in the preseason and has done nothing all year to inspire the coaching staff to believe he is all the sudden ready to become the "guy" if LJ goes down. Seems prety clear that the Chiefs are comfortable that Priest will be the guy if LJ is hurt.

Now, what does all this mean for Priest's immediate value? Again, seems (and I stress seems) clear that Priest is (1) the handcuff to LJ and (2) a man with upside assuming he is actually healthy and in shape if LJ goes down. Now, what is a great handcuff with potential upside worth in the NFL? Ask M.Turner in San Diego - not much unless the real guy gets hurt.

I would pickup Priest if I owned LJ without hesitation. If I did not own LJ and had a roster spot to burn, I would only consider picking up Priest if (1) I believed LJ was due for an injury, (2) I somehow believed Priest would be getting a consistent 10 touches per game and six TDs by years end -which I don't, or (3) I was in a keeper league and liked to play the lottery early.

IMO, Priest is not done - he is just not in a situation that will permit him to produce meaningful stats this year unless the #1 guy gets hurt.

Let the debate continue.

Edited by SpinalTapp

Because of the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement, as long as Priest is trying to rehab from his injuries, he gets paid. Teams can't cut a player because he's hurt. If he ever decided to retire, the checks would immediately stop coming, so there was no doubt he was going to rehab until he could pass a physical.

The thing that gets me is that I figured he'd just rehab forever because once he could pass a physical, I thought the Chiefs would cut him in a hot second.

I guess Priest has always been loyal to the KC brass, so he'll do what he can do for them. I don't think he'll ever see significant time, though. Even with the rehab he might be healthy enough to play, but I still haven't heard anyone deny that he's still in a situtation where one bad shot and he's done for good.

Edited by FordFairlane

Any word on practice today? This might be the tell tale day to what the plan is.

Practiced fully for the second straight day. If I were a betting man I'd say he is activated to the roster today and most likely plays this weekend.