[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Might there be a $$ reason that Childress is limiting ADP's carries?

msaint

As part of his incentive-laden rookie contract, Adrian Peterson will receive a $2.45 million bonus if he rushes for 701 yards and participates in 45 percent of the Vikings' offense plays. Peterson is one big half away from reaching the yardage total, but being on the field for 45 percent of the team's plays will be more difficult unless coach Brad Childress begins playing him more often over Chester Taylor.

:D

That is interesting, but one would think that the Viqueens would glady give up that money for a playoff run, and that is the teams focus. Their focus isn't to run him into the ground and have Chester tote the full load once they get there.

I think you guys worry too much about his playing time. Adrian said it himself last week. The playbook in the NFL compared to college is like 3 dictionarys now compared to one in college. He is a rookie. It may take a little time for him to learn ALL the plays. Learn all the blitz pickups and what not.

Chilly has said he'd like to get him 20-25 touches a game. Do you guys really think he should have all 40 carries every week?

Chilly has said he'd like to get him 20-25 touches a game. Do you guys really think he should have all 40 carries every week?

No, but let's take away the 3-5 touches on kick returns and maybe throw him a screen pass or two or four. Maybe reserve 1 or 2 touches for a situational kick return when they need a spark.

I think you guys worry too much about his playing time. Adrian said it himself last week. The playbook in the NFL compared to college is like 3 dictionarys now compared to one in college. He is a rookie. It may take a little time for him to learn ALL the plays. Learn all the blitz pickups and what not.

wurd

I like the split carries for now. My problem lies with him returning kicks and 2 weeks ago not even being in the game in the second half. Last week was much better with the splitting of carries. Look, he sure is a great threat in the return game, but if your obective is to slowly work him in and keep him fresh for the entire season, then go ahead and split the carries 50-50 for now with Taylor, but for the love of God get him out of the return game.

When the Eagles were going to the NFC title game every year, their best RB made HUGE plays in the kicking game down the stretch in games. Carolina has had some success with Deangelo. I don't think the risk of returning kicks is significantly higher than that of a normal running play. If he is going to be a big factor in the return game, as he was this week, I think they would be nuts to "get him out of the return game".

As an Peterson owner, yes, I do think he should have all 40 carries every week.

You must not be in a keeper or dynasty league and you must have deep RBs to play in the playoffs when he's too tired to do his job at a high level.

When the Eagles were going to the NFC title game every year, their best RB made HUGE plays in the kicking game down the stretch in games. Carolina has had some success with Deangelo. I don't think the risk of returning kicks is significantly higher than that of a normal running play. If he is going to be a big factor in the return game, as he was this week, I think they would be nuts to "get him out of the return game".

Seriously. Quit whining about yer little chinadoll being put in harms way. Hes a football player and can get injured on any play. I'm not sure, but I cant recall seeing an inordinate amount of injuries on kick returners in the thousands of games I've watched...

True the risk of injury is just as high as if he takes a handoff but where the hell will the Vikings be or how will Childress look after Peterson returns the opening kickoff 25 yards and is injured. If he's injured on a play at RB, then that's just the way it goes.

Almost any 3rd-5th WR, 3rd RB, or nickel CB can return a ball 20-25 yards. None of those can take a handoff and go the distance on almost any play. So, why risk your only playmaker for EVERY kick return? Late in the 4th quarter on the road vs a division rival and you want good field position? Great, but the rest of the returns are just not necessary.

2 weeks ago not even being in the game in the second half.

Totally inaccurate statement.

Sure, the media around here likes to stir it up as much as possible and constantly bring up he only had 2 carries in the 2nd half. That does not mean he was not in the game.

Let's review..

1st possession in the 2nd half did not come until the 6 min mark in the 3rd quarter. AP had the first carry for two yds. Later in that drive, CT had a 37 yd run. But I'm sure AP would have taken it all the way if it was him carrying the ball on that play :D Drive ends with a sack on 3rd down and Longwell kicks a FG,.

2nd possesion...1 min left in the 3rd quarter, AP again has the first carry, 2 yds. but alas...3 and out.

3rd possession....3 and out...one play was an incomplete pass play to AP

4th possession....now 5 mins left in the game and we're down by 14 pts....I suppose we should just let AP carry the ball every play? Down by 14, we need to throw the ball, and indeed, AP does have a reception in this drive. The end result is a Holcombe td pass to Rice.

5th and last possession...we surprisingly get one last attempt in the game as Favre fumbles with 1:50 left in the game. Holcombe ends up with an INT.

So...really...not sure how many rushing attempts AP is supposed to get with really only 4 possession in the half...but he was in the game, every one of those possessions. But yea, he only had 2 carries, we'll just ignore whatever else happened in the half.

True the risk of injury is just as high as if he takes a handoff but where the hell will the Vikings be or how will Childress look after Peterson returns the opening kickoff 25 yards and is injured. If he's injured on a play at RB, then that's just the way it goes.

Almost any 3rd-5th WR, 3rd RB, or nickel CB can return a ball 20-25 yards. None of those can take a handoff and go the distance on almost any play. So, why risk your only playmaker for EVERY kick return? Late in the 4th quarter on the road vs a division rival and you want good field position? Great, but the rest of the returns are just not necessary.

While I am not totally thrilled with AP returning kicks., I would argue if he doesn't return a few early in the game, he may not have a feel for how the blockers and defenders have been positioning themselves when he does later in the game, and perhaps he has a better feel for how the return is going to play out then he does if he only gets the one attempt at the end of the game.

While I am not totally thrilled with AP returning kicks., I would argue if he doesn't return a few early in the game, he may not have a feel for how the blockers and defenders have been positioning themselves when he does later in the game, and perhaps he has a better feel for how the return is going to play out then he does if he only gets the one attempt at the end of the game.

That's valid however we're not talking about a career kick returner randomly thrust into the game in the 4th quarter. Talent-wise, AD doesn't need to get in a groove to be able to score a TD or spring a return when it's needed.

Totally inaccurate statement.

Sure, the media around here likes to stir it up as much as possible and constantly bring up he only had 2 carries in the 2nd half. That does not mean he was not in the game.

Let's review..

1st possession in the 2nd half did not come until the 6 min mark in the 3rd quarter. AP had the first carry for two yds. Later in that drive, CT had a 37 yd run. But I'm sure AP would have taken it all the way if it was him carrying the ball on that play :D Drive ends with a sack on 3rd down and Longwell kicks a FG,.

2nd possesion...1 min left in the 3rd quarter, AP again has the first carry, 2 yds. but alas...3 and out.

3rd possession....3 and out...one play was an incomplete pass play to AP

4th possession....now 5 mins left in the game and we're down by 14 pts....I suppose we should just let AP carry the ball every play? Down by 14, we need to throw the ball, and indeed, AP does have a reception in this drive. The end result is a Holcombe td pass to Rice.

5th and last possession...we surprisingly get one last attempt in the game as Favre fumbles with 1:50 left in the game. Holcombe ends up with an INT.

So...really...not sure how many rushing attempts AP is supposed to get with really only 4 possession in the half...but he was in the game, every one of those possessions. But yea, he only had 2 carries, we'll just ignore whatever else happened in the half.

When your passing game is not a threat and you had great success running the ball in the first half, then no you do not have to completely abandon the running game.

I can't imagine that a Head Coach would do such a thing unless he was directly ordered to do so by the principle owner of the team. And further, if an owner asked any of the 32 Head Coaches to do something like that, I would expect a loud F U with an immediate letter of resignation from the Coach.

it's not a relevant question. he is producing and you are benefitting...

the real issue is that he is a rookie and you do not overuse rookie backs, especially ones that have had injuries.

that aside, you do not wear a rising star down for what... a team that cannot do anything in the playoffs.

in terms of the playoffs = money. you think if he runs like he has been, he won't be seeing the money?

it's a joke. if they don't make the playoffs, nobody is pinning it on him. if they do, everyone is praising him.

it actually helps for taylor to kind of ease the offense in, and have AP take over. he's already returning for them,

which is a much bigger risk. fewer carries means fresher legs when he takes over, which is why he is doing so well.

without knowing various formations, he is running on pure talent and instinct.

chester taylor is not a total scrub, and the 2-back system is becoming more popular in the nfl. given taylors tweak, you will see him get more carries.

see how it benefits him at dallas. i don't think it will.

Edited by moman4ever