[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL buffoons

Sam

Wow. Even though I've been reading Whitlock for years, he still surprises me sometimes. He's DEAD-on right.

He might just be my favorite journalist in the current sports landscape. No one else even comes CLOSE to Whitlock's knack for speaking controversial truths, with no fear of repercussions. That's what journalism is supposed to be about, and I respect him a lot for staying married to that concept.

----------

All that said, the one concept he didn't address was the conflict between what coaches want to win and what the media and fans WANT. Clowns like Chad Johnson and T.O. only exist because the media -- and to some extent, the fans -- WANTS them to exist. There are plenty of fans outside of Cincinnati who actually find Ocho Cinco entertaining. And whatever you say about T.O., most fans were fascinated by him during the height of his antics.

At some point, as Whitlock sort of alludes to, it'll be the NFL franchises' owners/GMs/coaches who resolve that conflict; they will choose winning over circus fun. Why? Because, ultimately, that's what fans want. Most fans are fickle followers who have tiny attention spans and modify their opinions depending on which sports radio show is currently on the air. In the end, though, it all comes back to winning -- and team owners who want to become and stay successful will do whatever it takes to win consistently.

I don't believe, however, that the end result will be a "whiteification" of NFL teams. Instead, I think the all the "hip-hop buffoons" will learn to toe the line; there just won't be a place for those who don't.

I cant stand that guy. All he ever talks about is race. I'm glad he isnt on Sports Reporters anymore.

Lately, yes. But he has been taking a very interesting slant for awhile now. He's been at the KC Star for a long time, and he's always had a different take on things.

It's been fun to watch him change over the years. And the things he talks and writes about right now ARE important.

All that said, the one concept he didn't address was the conflict between what coaches want to win and what the media and fans WANT. Clowns like Chad Johnson and T.O. only exist because the media -- and to some extent, the fans -- WANTS them to exist. There are plenty of fans outside of Cincinnati who actually find Ocho Cinco entertaining. And whatever you say about T.O., most fans were fascinated by him during the height of his antics.

At some point, as Whitlock sort of alludes to, it'll be the NFL franchises' owners/GMs/coaches who resolve that conflict; they will choose winning over circus fun. Why? Because, ultimately, that's what fans want. Most fans are fickle followers who have tiny attention spans and modify their opinions depending on which sports radio show is currently on the air. In the end, though, it all comes back to winning -- and team owners who want to become and stay successful will do whatever it takes to win consistently.

I don't believe, however, that the end result will be a "whiteification" of NFL teams. Instead, I think the all the "hip-hop buffoons" will learn to toe the line; there just won't be a place for those who don't.

Well said :D

Whitlock tends to bring race into his work a little more than I care for, but I do tend to read some of his articles because I think its important for me to read things I dont necessarily always agree with and try to understand other points of view. I thought this latest article was pretty good, and he made some nice points. :D

Now, his article a few weeks back about how the NFL should welcome Vick back after he serves his punishment I didnt think was one of his better efforts :D

I was amazed this guy wasn't getthing hammered w/the race card......then I clicked on the link and realized why: he's black.

Credit to him for trying, even if most of what he says is kinda like saying they found the Lindbergh baby and his "the NFL will get more white!" is ridiculous. We need more black guys to keep stepping up like this or nothing will ever change because no white guy can say it thx to the all-powerful race card. Not that I think it will change anyway, frankly.

As for saying "Hip hop athletes" (great, another sugar-coated word to replace the un-PC one, that's what we need more of) being "rejected" because they're not good for business, what planet is he on? As swiss mentioned (great post btw), they aren't being rejected - hell they're being embraced, and it's only been getting worse for years....decades, in fact (and it's far from restricted to sports, but that's for another thread). Players who are circus clown morons (if not outright dirtbags) - even those who are so in an in-your-face extreme - remain popular as hell (Owens, Johnson etc and ad nauseum). They are only rejected in the most extreme of circumstances - like say committing felonies - and even then they can get away with it, even coming back to fame and glory while the media looks the other way and still slobbers all over them.....long as they're playing well and winning (Ray Lewis anyone?).

This is why I don't even watch games much anymore; the NFL is a joke and seemingly proud of it. But the saddest part of that is it's because that's the way far too many of the fans and media want it (or at least are willing to tolerate it).

I think this is a very well-written article with some very sad truths. Entertainment doesnt equate wins, but sadly, there are always those who will pay to watch the buffoons...

Exactly, how many times did we see that insipid hall of fame coat that Chad pulled out of the bag to wear after his 1st TD of the year. After showing it about twenty or so times on the air, the coat ended up in the announcers booth where T. Korn even put it on. What a clown.