[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carolina Panthers, and next year.

LooGie

I know it's early to look ahead, but it will be a miracle if we make the playoffs, and a fluke if make any noise there. Not with Vinny, and certainly not with Carr. So it's ok if I look ahead, imo.

Next year, Delhomme will be back. what is the QB situation next year? Carr is scarey, but Delhomme has me worried too. I love the guy, love his passion, and feel hes' the original "mini brett favre" but something HAS TO GIVE this year. We dont deserve the wins we have, and the only ones we looked good in was against the Rams week 1, (and we now know what they are this year) and the Cards, (with Rattay).

The QB situation has to be handled, and while Jake looked good enough early, we were still not converting 3rd downs, and the play calling is mediocre at best. If our play calling is only mediocre (albeit awesome compared to last year) then we need a QB that can make plays on the fly, and when Jake is in there, his "on the fly play" is rear back and throw it to Smitty 60 yards down field, resulting in an INT 30% of the time. Especially when a blitz is coming. That can't happen. We need a Romo, a Vince Young, somebody capable of making those plays when the play calling wasn't on.

I always believed Carr would be a good QB on a better team than HOU, but now I'm not so sure. Actually, I'm pretty sure he can't be.

Now Delhomme might be good for several more years, if we actually get a #2 WR that can actually catch, and then dont let him walk, either to the bears or to the booth. I'm tired of hearing "Smith down the sidelines,HE'S GOT IT. 62 YARD TD" or "incomplete to _____. Right in his hands too" or worse yet "here comes the pressure, Delhomme going deep to Smith AND IT'S PICKED OFF". I just can't take it. This is the year to work it out. Of course, we're still in the game, but next year, changes need to come.

I truly feel Fox's job is on the line, and while I believe he's an excellent HC, he's got drawbacks, and if I'm not mistaken, Marty Shotty is still available.

Did I really just see Jake Delhomme mentioned in the same sentence as Brett Favre?? I'm a complete homer, and I have a man-crush on Hasselbeck, but Jake Delhomme?!? Flat out laughable. That guy is terrible.

The real question will be if Morgan( who may be healthy enough to go against the Colts) returns to the middle, if Fox moves Beason back to WLB after his performance at MLB.....well, I will never again trust anything Fox does or says. Plus, at the stage of his carrer, a move to WLB may be a great move for Morgan. This is going to be very interesting to watch.....play the best players at the correct positions. DW at RB and Beason at MLB.

Did I really just see Jake Delhomme mentioned in the same sentence as Brett Favre?? I'm a complete homer, and I have a man-crush on Hasselbeck, but Jake Delhomme?!? Flat out laughable. That guy is terrible.

um...what? I'm talking about the passion and gun slinger mentality. People always refer to people like that as "mini brett favre's" I'm not talking skills, nor would I compare the two..

The real question will be if Morgan( who may be healthy enough to go against the Colts) returns to the middle, if Fox moves Beason back to WLB after his performance at MLB.....well, I will never again trust anything Fox does or says. Plus, at the stage of his carrer, a move to WLB may be a great move for Morgan. This is going to be very interesting to watch.....play the best players at the correct positions. DW at RB and Beason at MLB.

:D

"the original mini-Brett Favre". I think Jake Delhomme as soon as I hear that phrase!!

Horrible decision making doesn't necessarily mean you are Favre-like.

Edited by Seahawks21

"the original mini-Brett Favre". I think Jake Delhomme as soon as I hear that phrase!!

Horrible decision making doesn't necessarily mean you are Favre-like.

sigh. you guys are really missing the point. I guess it's just lost on some.

As a Steve Smith owner in my most competitive and longest running league, I am also very curious about what the QB situation will be in Carolina.

Delhomme is done, he's having Tommy John surgery at the age of 32, and last I checked this is a procedure that takes at least 12-18 months of recovery for MLB pitchers to come back to a glimpse of their old selves. That would have Jake at 34 years old, and how can Carolina hold on to him at that age, with no reassurances that he'll be anything close to what he was????

I think David Carr is completely 'shell-shocked' from the 1,437 sacks he suffered while in Houston and it has permanently affected his psyche! So, who's available? Coming out of college is Brian Brohm (L'ville), Colt Brennan (Hawaii), and who??? There doesn't seem to be a decent QB prospect this year.

Veterans that could be available might include: Chad Pennington, Donovan McNabb, Chris Simms, Rex Grossman, & Daunte Culpepper. Do any of those names look like the long-term answer? I don't think so. I'm a die-hard Eagles fan and have always looked at #5 with the most optimistic of outlooks, however the injuries appear to be happening more and more and his accuracy is no better today than it was the day we drafted him out of Syracuse. Pennington is a competitor, but his arm strength is questionable and as a Smitty owner, I'm praying they get a big arm to deliver him the long bomb. Simms could be an inexpensive gamble, but not very comfortable with him either.

Ironically, Culpepper might be the best option out there. What's even more fitting is that Carolina was the site of his vicious knee injury. What a way to put those 'demons' behind you, other than joining that franchise and playing on that field 8 times a year. Culpepper definitely has the big arm to get the ball to Smith, but he's no spring chicken. However, given his track record and add to that the likelihood that he'll probably be cheaper than some other options. He might be the best choice.

I do agree that getting a more consistent #2 (Jarrett?) is important, making the move to DeAngelo to be the feature back, and address some holes are defense are definitely things the organization SHOULD address, but I need to be selfish and worry about my #1 WR!

Carolina should be starting the Tim Tebow in '09 campaign NOW!!!!

As a Steve Smith owner in my most competitive and longest running league, I am also very curious about what the QB situation will be in Carolina.

Delhomme is done, he's having Tommy John surgery at the age of 32, and last I checked this is a procedure that takes at least 12-18 months of recovery for MLB pitchers to come back to a glimpse of their old selves. That would have Jake at 34 years old, and how can Carolina hold on to him at that age, with no reassurances that he'll be anything close to what he was????

I think David Carr is completely 'shell-shocked' from the 1,437 sacks he suffered while in Houston and it has permanently affected his psyche! So, who's available? Coming out of college is Brian Brohm (L'ville), Colt Brennan (Hawaii), and who??? There doesn't seem to be a decent QB prospect this year.

Veterans that could be available might include: Chad Pennington, Donovan McNabb, Chris Simms, Rex Grossman, & Daunte Culpepper. Do any of those names look like the long-term answer? I don't think so. I'm a die-hard Eagles fan and have always looked at #5 with the most optimistic of outlooks, however the injuries appear to be happening more and more and his accuracy is no better today than it was the day we drafted him out of Syracuse. Pennington is a competitor, but his arm strength is questionable and as a Smitty owner, I'm praying they get a big arm to deliver him the long bomb. Simms could be an inexpensive gamble, but not very comfortable with him either.

Ironically, Culpepper might be the best option out there. What's even more fitting is that Carolina was the site of his vicious knee injury. What a way to put those 'demons' behind you, other than joining that franchise and playing on that field 8 times a year. Culpepper definitely has the big arm to get the ball to Smith, but he's no spring chicken. However, given his track record and add to that the likelihood that he'll probably be cheaper than some other options. He might be the best choice.

I do agree that getting a more consistent #2 (Jarrett?) is important, making the move to DeAngelo to be the feature back, and address some holes are defense are definitely things the organization SHOULD address, but I need to be selfish and worry about my #1 WR!

Carolina should be starting the Tim Tebow in '09 campaign NOW!!!!

Wrong, the timeline for QB's is 7-9 months, as the stress is less than MLB pitchers on the elbow. All topics point to Jake being ready for TC next summer. Jake will have another 2-3 years to play football- I will defer to PSU or PD, but that is what I've heard.

Wrong, the timeline for QB's is 7-9 months, as the stress is less than MLB pitchers on the elbow. All topics point to Jake being ready for TC next summer. Jake will have another 2-3 years to play football- I will defer to PSU or PD, but that is what I've heard.

Not wrong...

Gee CW, I'm curious if you know how many NFL QB's have had Tommy John surgery??? Before Delhomme, it was Craig Erickson and Rob Johnson.

I think it's more fair to have expectations similar to an MLB pitcher, than a 7-9 month period as you indicated. Mostly due to the fact that neither Erickson or Johnson had much of a career prior to their surgeries to offer a fair comparison to their post-op results.

Don't underestimate the age factor in his recovery either.

Fact is, this is uncharted territory for Jake, and please don't read my post as an indictment on him, I was a big fan of his over the last 3-5 years, and regularly had him as my #1 or #2 QB in several leagues. I'm just looking at what the most likely scenarios could be.

Not wrong...

Gee CW, I'm curious if you know how many NFL QB's have had Tommy John surgery??? Before Delhomme, it was Craig Erickson and Rob Johnson.

I think it's more fair to have expectations similar to an MLB pitcher, than a 7-9 month period as you indicated. Mostly due to the fact that neither Erickson or Johnson had much of a career prior to their surgeries to offer a fair comparison to their post-op results.

Don't underestimate the age factor in his recovery either.

Fact is, this is uncharted territory for Jake, and please don't read my post as an indictment on him, I was a big fan of his over the last 3-5 years, and regularly had him as my #1 or #2 QB in several leagues. I'm just looking at what the most likely scenarios could be.

The Capt is dead on, as the performing surgeeon said it went excellent and Jake should be ready for TC.

I would concur with PD on Jake. The reports I have heard was that the surgery went well he should be ready to go by TC in July. The only curve ball here is that Carr really lights it up and takes us deep into the playoffs. Otherwise, Delhomme is the guy next year assuming he is back to normal next summer.