[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dallas Cowboys pay $275,000 for Cowboys.com

LooGie

http://techdirt.com/articles/20071018/224033.shtml

The domain name business is hot again, driving up the price of popular domains names, sometimes to ridiculous levels. However, it appears that no one briefed the Dallas Cowboys on what these types of things typically cost. The owner of the domain cowboys.com recently sold it in a domain auction, with the winning bid of $275,000 going to the Cowboys. Apparently, on receiving the invoice, the Dallas Cowboys are claiming that it was a mistake -- they thought the bid had been for $275, not $275,000 -- and therefore, they wish to cancel the sale. Of course, some people are suggesting that this is merely a cop out from a team that has a bit of buyer's remorse. It does seem a bit bizarre that anyone would think they could get such a domain for $275.

First of all, the person doing to biding was someone in the IT marketing department and they new exactly what they were buying and for how much. But when they went to JJ and told him how much it was he probably looked at him at told him "you wanna pay what for what".

Followed by "you told us to get the domain name Mr. Jones".

Then

"let me tell you something son, I just got a potential probowl defensive tackle by cutting our nickle corner for 24 hours (N. Jones) and resigning him to a new contract less what it cost me to get the tackle (Tank). And you think we gonna pay a quarter of a million dollars for a noun with a .com after it." Son let me tell you how we do things around here, meet me at the shooting range this afternoon, bring running shoes."

Edited by Cowboyz1

First of all, the person doing to biding was someone in the IT marketing department and they new exactly what they were buying and for how much. But when they went to JJ and told him how much it was he probably looked at him at told him "you wanna pay what for what".

Followed by "you told us to get the domain name Mr. Jones".

Then

"let me tell you something son, I just got a potential probowl defensive tackle by cutting our nickle corner for 24 hours (N. Jones) and resigning him to a new contract less what it cost me to get the tackle (Tank). And you think we gonna pay a quarter of a million dollars for a noun with a .com after it." Son let me tell you how we do things around here, meet me at the shooting range this afternoon, bring running shoes."

:D +1

I think you're dead on about the marketing guy getting a little over zealous trying to impress JJ. I think they're going to be out a few marketing people in the next few days.

Domain names are getting a little silly again like they were during the dot-com boom. My company owns somewhere in the neighborhood 1500 domain names. They've already sold several in the past year or two for millions. One in particular sold for $7M (I think).