[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

let me say something about Champ Bailey

isleseeya

When its all said and done , I believe he will be considered best shut down CB in NFL history

Even looking at huddle predictions and huddle bench / start list , every week regardless of who wr is startinf against him , the projections are always reduced and minimalized

Anyone think there has been a better cb than bailey ?

Deion was a great cover guy ..couldn't and wouldn't tackle worth a lick ..but I saw dion burned a few times ..hardly ever seen champ burned , ever

It is a rarity but I have definitely seen Champ get burned. Hell Champ got burned 2 weeks ago by Antonio Gates and I mean burned, not out-jumped. He also got torched by Porter several times, when he played the Raiders last year I believe.

People still throw to Bailey's side of the field. They didn't bother throwing to Deion's side.

Although, Dre Bly is on the other side of the field this year, so that skews things somewhat.

I don't recall Deion getting burned as much as I've seen Bailey get burned.

I think my all time list is:

Deion Sanders

Champ Bailey

Troy Vincent

Aeneas Williams

Rod Woodson

Charles Woodson

Ahmad Carroll

:D

(Guys I've seen play)

Edited by Sturphy

Bailey enjoys what Sanders did and that is opposing QBs just are very reluctant to even throw against him. He gets beaten on occasion and I can remember that one game when Jerry Porter had 135 yards and three TDs in Denver against Bailey but was just a freak day back in week 12 of 2004 and Porter only had three catches for 21 yards in Oakland against him six weeks prior. For the most part - teams will not throw against Bailey. ANd the move around their WRs to get them away from him when they can.

Champ has got to be in consideration for the best active football player. I am fully aware that Champ brings things that Deion could not. If I was coaching a team that was absolutely horrible against the run, I would take Champ Bailey. That said, the Cowboys and 49ers were on TV darn near every week in Deion's days, and you could literally go 2 months between instances where the opposing quarterback's helmet would be faced Deion's direction. Not even a thought. Every once in a while a good QB would get the balls to try him, which would ultimately end in six the other way. Teams without good QB's would see this on tape and tell their QB's to not even think about it. He was so good in his prime that I really don't think we could ever see one better. My definition of a shutdown corner strictly deals with the passing game. Chump is the second best I have seen but I don't believe it is close.

I don't know much about Lester Hayes but I thought that guy was one bad dude when I was young. Rod Woodson was sick, can't rank him much below Champ if at all. I also like the way McCallister plays. Does anybody see the next great shutdown corner on the horizon?? Clements is good but not to their level. Is Deangelo Hall as good as he says he is? I haven't been overly impressed. Vasher? Honestly, the one guy that I thought had a shot to be a game-changing corner was PacMan.

It is a rarity but I have definitely seen Champ get burned. Hell Champ got burned 2 weeks ago by Antonio Gates and I mean burned, not out-jumped. He also got torched by Porter several times, when he played the Raiders last year I believe.

VJax cought a TD on Champ as well in that game. 10 yards away from him.

Given that, I think Champ had a much better year last year than he is having this year. But, this is a team game after all. Good players can be great players on better teams, and the Broncos have SERIOUS issues this year!

Bailey is listed, I believe, as questionable for tomorrow's game, and didn't practice most of the week. Here's a thought, though: do you think this is a ploy to try to lure Pittsburgh into throwing against him, thinking he might be less than 100%? Hmmm..... :D

Bailey is listed, I believe, as questionable for tomorrow's game, and didn't practice most of the week. Here's a thought, though: do you think this is a ploy to try to lure Pittsburgh into throwing against him, thinking he might be less than 100%? Hmmm..... :D

If the Broncos didn't have such a terrible rush defense at this point, which will allow FWP to run on them all night, I think Ben and his boys could have great success against the Bronco DBs including Champ. Ward is a very physical WR and would use those abilities to make plays against Bailey and Holmes is a burner who would do just that burn Champ at some point for a long gainer/possible TD. We'll see how it unfolds tomorrow night but I see Pitt taking it to Denver in their house using a large dose of Parker and a couple PA passes over the top after they have the D sucked in. I also think Heath Miller will play a significant role making plays over the middle.

Edited by irish

Champ is one of the best of all time, no question. I think he's better than Sanders because he's a better tackler and better against the run. What set Dieon apart was his great closing speed and flashy interception returns. I'd take Champ over Sanders any day.

Champ is one of the best of all time, no question. I think he's better than Sanders because he's a better tackler and better against the run. What set Dieon apart was his great closing speed and flashy interception returns. I'd take Champ over Sanders any day.

I agree that Champ was a "better tackler" but year in and year out Sanders was probably the best cover CB ever to play the game. Sure he could not tackle as well as some others but he took an entire side of the field out of play and it was not as if offenses game planned against him by running to his side of the field all day anyway. A lot of people only remember Deion's "flashy" BS and that overshadowed the guys unbelievable athletic talent. He was a dangerous return man, he was an offensive weapon who played defense. Here is a great quote from Chad Johnson about Deion;

"There's two kinds of corners in the NFL," Bengals receiver Chad Johnson said. "Regular corners play not to get beat. Deion Sanders played the game to make a play."

Champ is a phenomenal CB, but I would be willing to bet if both played on the same team in their prime, Champ would be the #2 CB on that team, and what a sight that would have been to see.

They're both great. But the thing that sets Deion a cut above the rest, was his ability to change the game with one big play. If Champ picks one off, you're like "well that's Champ. He's great." When Deion picked one off, you were like "oh sh!t! He's gonna score." Deion had that game breaking ability as a corner that no one else has ever had. Champ is great, but he lacks that quality.

PS: You guys are leaving out Darrell Green. He was as good as Champ, if not better...

deion was probably better as a pure cover guy. champ is the better football player though. all things considered, i do think he is probably the best CB to play the game, with the strongest argument coming from deion.

one thing i am pretty sure about...the single season champ had last year has to be unmatched. 10 picks and he was hardly thrown at. i think somebody looked at it and champ had more picks than opposing receivers had receptions when he was manned up. that is simply amazing.