[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oregon Ducks ......

theprofessor

Perhaps BS Miscreant isn't as impressed with Oregon's SOS 27th ranking because his Bulls SOS is significantly tougher at 13th. However out of the top BCS contenders the Ducks do have a much better SOS than teams like Oklahoma, Ohio State, Arizona State and Boston College. We'll see if Oregon's tougher SOS helps them at all against USC who has an embarrassing SOS 120th ranking according to Colley's which is largerly due to ND's poor season.

I do find it interesting that Vegas has the Ducks only a 2 1/2 point favorite at home.

yeah- USF has a legit schedule for sure- I think that is a good squad. You just can't knock Oregon's schedule at all. @Mich- and then playing a full Pac 10 slate- they will have played Cal, and finishing up with ASU/USC/UCLA - that is as tough a finish to yer year as you are gonna find. One thing about the Pac 10- the balanced schedule allows the league to battle out to see who is left standing.

well, you will see USC's SOS increase quite a bit as they finish up with ORE/CAL/ASU/UCLA- brutal

Gonna be a fun last 5 weeks. The USC/ORE game is gonna be a good one.

yeah- USF has a legit schedule for sure- I think that is a good squad. You just can't knock Oregon's schedule at all. @Mich- and then playing a full Pac 10 slate- they will have played Cal, and finishing up with ASU/USC/UCLA - that is as tough a finish to yer year as you are gonna find. One thing about the Pac 10- the balanced schedule allows the league to battle out to see who is left standing.

well, you will see USC's SOS increase quite a bit as they finish up with ORE/CAL/ASU/UCLA- brutal

Gonna be a fun last 5 weeks. The USC/ORE game is gonna be a good one.

This is the second time you have mentioned Oregon's remaining schedule while disputing my point. There is no doubt that by season's end Oregon could well be one of the best in the country but they haven't proved it yet. Their remaining schedule could also, no doubt, make them a no-brainer for the NC game but again, all I said was don't jump the gun, they haven't played a particularly difficult schedule to this point.

You didn't actually say " Wow, Oregon sure is exciting! They must be real good." I realize that. The scary thing is you don't recognize what some of us like to call paraphrasing. It's a helpful tool at times. Look it up. Anyway...

When you say things like this, "I think that the Oregon Ducks are the BEST team in college football", Along with things like this, "Thanks for enlightening us all but this thread was never about Oregon's past schedule as much as it was about my opinion that Oregon is the best team in the country." Those of us who are intelligent enough to notice start to ask questions like, " How, exactly, is it that you can ascertain Oregon's greatness without evaluating the quality of their opponents?" When you don't have an answer it makes your opinion sound an awful lot like, " Wow, Oregon sure is exciting! They must be real good."

Up to now I have haven't been mean-spirited and I don't feel as if I've been particulary, overly critical of your analysis, and I use that term loosely, of Oregon. I simply asked a question and made some inferences based on your defense of you initial statments. If your boyfriend or something plays for Oregon and that makes you especially sensitive on this topic, I apologize. But other than that I can only assume that your unwarranted and oh so clever attacks on me are due to the fact that you have no argument. Time will tell and Oregon may be great but for now...

Go ahead now, insult me in some fashion or throw some profanity my way. It's a whole lot easier than actually making or defending a point. Isn't it?

Perhaps you might be better served to read my initial post again where I gave my opinion as to WHY I felt Oregon IMO was the best team in the country .... Stewart, Dixon, their DB's, superior talent on both sides of the ball, etc. etc. - Again I ask you WHY me sharing my opinion of them being the best team in the country had anything to do with how tough or easy their shedule has been?

I try to avoid getting into pissing matches with guys like you but it amazes me when guys like you don't have any comprehensive skills and focus only on how how they can be argumentative and debate an OPINION by someone else? :D

As far as the name calling goes .... I'll defer. I'm sure that you can debate that too. :D Carry on ............

Edited by theprofessor

If USC can get the guys healthy that I think they can for this game, the big Ducks blowout that people are predicting will not only disappear, the Trojans could pull the big upset.

Yes, I agree we'll have our hands full with containing Mr. Dixon and crew; but if the Ducks D couldn't stop us last year when we had no run game, how can they stop us when we can run? And god forbid if we get to Dixon and hurt him. Then the Ducks are cooked...hmm...

Come on Coffeeman ... I know you're probably excited to be the underdog for once but USC winning would not be a BIG upset and nobody, that I know, is predicting a blowout either. With that defense SC will NEVER be blown out. This game will be won on the line of scrimmage. If the Ducks can run the ball at crucial times in the game they will win.

Oregon = 38 USC = 34

Stop all the posting about the Ducks. I live in Oregon, and love the Ducks. All you guys are doing is jinxing the team. :D

In reality I think both upcoming games will be good ones. The Ducks are very tough at home so ASU, and USC will have a tough time I think. Can't over look OSU either, they are giant killers. Hurt USC last year, CAL this year, don't underestimate the Beav's.

If they win the remainder of the games and gon't get a shot at the NC, then they will be robbed like OSU was a few years back when they thumped Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. JMHO!

So Oregon State should have gotten a shot at Oklahoma over Washington (whom they lost to) Miami, and Florida State? Or do you mean Ohio State who thumped Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl? Which OSU team you talking about here? Either way, I think the only robbery that took place in either of those years might have been OSU's (whichever one) opponent robbing someone else of a BCS bowl bid. 2001, Oregon was robbed of a chance to play Miami, when Nebraska got the nod instead despite getting absolutely destroyed by Colorado (the team Oregon beat), and not even participating in the Big 12 Championship game, which was EASILY the BCS's biggest blunder in its history.

Again I ask you WHY me sharing my opinion of them being the best team in the country had anything to do with how tough or easy their shedule has been?

I try to avoid getting into pissing matches with guys like you but it amazes me when guys like you don't have any comprehensive skills and focus only on how how they can be argumentative and debate an OPINION by someone else? :D

Wow! You can't understand why who a team beats plays a big role in how good they really are but I'm the guy who doesn't have any "comprehensive skills". Two weeks in row they have pounded bad football teams(Wash(2-5), Wash St(2-5)). They lost the week before that to Cal(5-2) who turned around and lost to Ore St(4-3) and UCLA(5-2, including bad losses to Notre Dame and Utah). The week before they beat a mediocre, at best, Stanford(3-4) team. Fresno St and Houston are decent I guess but they play in the WAC and Conference USA. Yes, they beat Michigan in the Big House but they did it a week after App St did it so what does that really say. Someone can watch me run and say I'm really fast but if I was racing against competition that was below average it doesn't really mean a lot that I was thought to be fast. That's all I've been trying to say.

You gave you're opinion in the initial post. I then gave mine,

"There is no doubt that Oregon is both dynamic and exciting but lets not jump the gun here. They've only played one "good" team and they lost. And oh by the way, that "good" team has lost back-to-back games to Ore St and UCLA. Again, athletic and dangerous? Yes. But none of Ohio St, Oklahoma, or LSU could hold them under 38? That's just silly."

Then clarified it,

"I'm not beating anybody's ass about Oregon love here. I'm just saying, like Ohio St, they haven't beaten anyone to get excited about yet."

You followed that up by being smug,

"Thanks for enlightening us all but this thread was never about Oregon's past schedule as much as it was about my opinion that Oregon is the best team in the country. Carry on."

I followed that by assuming you were just enamored with how good they looked on TV, regardless of their competition, and paraphrased your case as follows,

"Wow, Oregon sure is exciting! They must be real good!"

You followed that up by being smug again then by being a smart ass,

"Show me where I said " Wow, Oregon sure is exciting! They must be real good." I'll wait.

Since you have a difficult time with comprehension I will go real slow ...... ready ........ "I think that the Oregon Ducks are the BEST team in college football." What a #uckin'

You made a point. I made a point suggesting you might temper your enthusiasm. You became obnoxious, as if I was attacking you in some way and now you blame me for this so called pissing contest. Two words my man, pro zac. Peace.

Edited by BS Miscreant

I could care less about yer beef with Prof- but to say Oregon has played one good team is beyond ignorant. Cal is damn good football team, they lost to OSU minus their QB and they lost to UCLA who has the talent to beat anyone, on any given day. Cal, while fading, with 2 crushing losses is still better than any team in yer little Big East conference. UCLA shat the bed vs. ND with their third string QB, but they still have sick athletes all over the field- and they are a tough out.

Me thinks you don't watch much west coast football, I dunno.

and I am a fan of USF - but outside of them and WVU- that conference is not very good.

I could care less about yer beef with Prof- I have no beef with le professor, other than his nasty demeanor but to say Oregon has played one good team is beyond ignorant. Cal is damn good football team, they lost to OSU minus their QB and they lost to UCLA who has the talent to beat anyone, on any given day. Apparently, so does App St Cal, while fading, with 2 crushing losses is still better than any team in yer little Big East conference. Cal lost to Ore St who got bitch slapped by Cincy UCLA shat the bed vs. ND with their third string QB, but they still have sick athletes all over the field- and they are a tough out. Except when they play Utah and ND

Me thinks you don't watch much west coast football, I dunno. Actually, it's great to watch. Very exciting.

and I am a fan of USF Really? The idea or the actual team? - but outside of them and WVU- that conference is not very good.

Why does this board have to so often digress into my conference is better than your conference crap. Contrary to most people's approach here, this is not an attack on a conference. Granted most teams on Oregon's schedule happen to be PAC-10 but that is not my issue. Truth is, if you really believe that Oregon has played well enough against a tough enough schedule to annoint them the best team in the country(I know the professor said that, not you) then so be it. I disagree. Simple enough?

Why does this board have to so often digress into my conference is better than your conference crap.

My conference is better than all other implies my team is also better than most teams. That makes me feel better about my otherwise meaningless life. My pathetic existence is defined by living vicariously through the achievements of my favorite team.

SEC! SEC!!

Why does this board have to so often digress into my conference is better than your conference crap. Contrary to most people's approach here, this is not an attack on a conference. Granted most teams on Oregon's schedule happen to be PAC-10 but that is not my issue. Truth is, if you really believe that Oregon has played well enough against a tough enough schedule to annoint them the best team in the country(I know the professor said that, not you) then so be it. I disagree. Simple enough?

I dunno, why does this board digress into making such a big deal of a team dropping a game- it is unreal to me. So for example if UCLA, and CAL both finish strong, and end up in the top 20- their season sucks bc they lost a couple games they should have won? it is moronic.

LSU and OKL have struggled, and lost, just bc OU dropped a game in conference, which gee whiz, happens from time to time, they aren't any good?

or b/c USC has looked pedestrian vs. UW and UA, they can't be a NC contender? teams are gonna struggle now and then, especially in conference games-

but this whole ORE hasn't played anyone bc CAL lost to UCLA/OSU who lost to ND/Cincy, so in turn CAL is no good is just flat out flawed analysis.

Mich is looking like the 2nd best team in the Big 10, so well done for both App State and Oregon

I am not annointing Oregon anything- I have said b4 I think LSU/OKL are the 2 best teams in the nation.

However if Oregon runs the table, which is gonna be tough with their remaining games,

how can they not be in the NC game?

Wow! You can't understand why who a team beats plays a big role in how good they really are but I'm the guy who doesn't have any "comprehensive skills". Two weeks in row they have pounded bad football teams(Wash(2-5), Wash St(2-5)). They lost the week before that to Cal(5-2) who turned around and lost to Ore St(4-3) and UCLA(5-2, including bad losses to Notre Dame and Utah). The week before they beat a mediocre, at best, Stanford(3-4) team. Fresno St and Houston are decent I guess but they play in the WAC and Conference USA. Yes, they beat Michigan in the Big House but they did it a week after App St did it so what does that really say. Someone can watch me run and say I'm really fast but if I was racing against competition that was below average it doesn't really mean a lot that I was thought to be fast. That's all I've been trying to say.

You gave you're opinion in the initial post. I then gave mine,

"There is no doubt that Oregon is both dynamic and exciting but lets not jump the gun here. They've only played one "good" team and they lost. And oh by the way, that "good" team has lost back-to-back games to Ore St and UCLA. Again, athletic and dangerous? Yes. But none of Ohio St, Oklahoma, or LSU could hold them under 38? That's just silly."

Then clarified it,

"I'm not beating anybody's ass about Oregon love here. I'm just saying, like Ohio St, they haven't beaten anyone to get excited about yet."

You followed that up by being smug,

"Thanks for enlightening us all but this thread was never about Oregon's past schedule as much as it was about my opinion that Oregon is the best team in the country. Carry on."

I followed that by assuming you were just enamored with how good they looked on TV, regardless of their competition, and paraphrased your case as follows,

"Wow, Oregon sure is exciting! They must be real good!"

You followed that up by being smug again then by being a smart ass,

"Show me where I said " Wow, Oregon sure is exciting! They must be real good." I'll wait.

Since you have a difficult time with comprehension I will go real slow ...... ready ........ "I think that the Oregon Ducks are the BEST team in college football." What a #uckin'

You made a point. I made a point suggesting you might temper your enthusiasm. You became obnoxious, as if I was attacking you in some way and now you blame me for this so called pissing contest. Two words my man, pro zac. Peace.

:D:D ... Nuff said.

Edited by theprofessor

Come on Coffeeman ... I know you're probably excited to be the underdog for once but USC winning would not be a BIG upset and nobody, that I know, is predicting a blowout either. With that defense SC will NEVER be blown out. This game will be won on the line of scrimmage. If the Ducks can run the ball at crucial times in the game they will win.

Oregon = 38 USC = 34

I had about the same predicted score, but with the Troajns winning. Those predicting a Duck blowout were on Cowherd's radio program - maybe they just screened for rabid Ducks fans.

It will be a great game, and yes, it would be considered an upset (maybe not a BIG one) if USC can pull it off.

I dunno, why does this board digress into making such a big deal of a team dropping a game- it is unreal to me. So for example if UCLA, and CAL both finish strong, and end up in the top 20- their season sucks bc they lost a couple games they should have won? it is moronic.

LSU and OKL have struggled, and lost, just bc OU dropped a game in conference, which gee whiz, happens from time to time, they aren't any good?

or b/c USC has looked pedestrian vs. UW and UA, they can't be a NC contender? teams are gonna struggle now and then, especially in conference games-

but this whole ORE hasn't played anyone bc CAL lost to UCLA/OSU who lost to ND/Cincy, so in turn CAL is no good is just flat out flawed analysis.

Mich is looking like the 2nd best team in the Big 10, so well done for both App State and Oregon

I am not annointing Oregon anything- I realize that and said it in my last post. What you are missing here is that I entered this conversation disputing the lofty claim made in the initial post that Oregon is the best team in the country.

However if Oregon runs the table, which is gonna be tough with their remaining games,

how can they not be in the NC game?

Tell you what, I'm gonna slow this down just a bit here and restate/simplify my point/s.

I did not say Oregon is not good or even great. I said they've looked really good against suspect opposition. Just a little leary at this juncture.

I did not say Cal was a bad team. In fact, I said that they are the only "good" team Oregon has played. Time may show otherwise.

I was merely talking about what has happened so far this year. If you check my intial post you'll see that. I like to worry about what might happen later, later, when it actually happens. For what it's worth, I absolutely agree that if Oregon continues to look this good against much better competition then they should get a title shot. IF.

Hmmm..24 in regulation for the Ducks. :D

A good D in College will always control a good O.

I wouldn't consider this USC team we saw today " A good O" They look very average and are without their starting QB.

Any other season, I'd say this was an outstanding win for Oregon, but this year USC seems flat an average.

Well, that game sucked! Dixon and that O are indeed great, but the Trojan D was up to the task, if our O hadn't stalled on so many 3 and outs. Crap - we out produce the Ducks in total O and still lose, due to a couple questionable/bad play calls and turnovers. (Run McKnight sideways on a 4th and 1, R U f'g kidding me?!) You can say we looked 'average', but its simply a down year after all the injuries left us decimated.

Oh well, now we'll be lucky to get the Holiday bowl for Xmas in SD. More Likely the Sun bowl in f'g El Paso. I fully expect another loss to the Sun Devils, but at 9-3 we could get the trip to SD for Xmas if: 1) the Ducks beat AzSt in Autzen and go to the big NC game, followed by 2) the Sun Devils getting in the Rose Bowl or another BCS bowl. Hey, it could happen...

Ducks and Sooners are the best 2 teams, according to Corso on Cowherd's show this morning. This is one time the crazy geezer isn't so off, but if no one can man-up to knock off the OSU and BC posers, we'll never see it in the big game. And that would be a shame...

Edited by Coffeeman

Wow, Dixon can really run the option in a way that even the camera men and announcers don't know where the ball is. ...wonder what it's like on the field...I suppose you just start tackling anyone who comes near you :D This kid is exciting...it will be interesting to see what position he will play in the NFL...he just looks to slinder to be QB, but maybe a WR...he is SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH.

Go Ducks Go!!