[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts-Patriots tilt shaping as battle of Good vs. Evil

TheGrunt

I read this article and had to pass it on...

Colts-Patriots tilt shaping as battle of Good vs. Evil

For those who don't have the time to read the article (it's pretty long) here's the basic idea:

Patriots at Colts on Nov. 4 is shaping up to be one of the most attractive and exciting NFL regular-season games ever staged. The pairing is fabulous; the teams are the league's best; and there is a chance both will take the field undefeated. Plus, Patriots at Colts has a powerful, compelling narrative. Namely -- Good vs. Evil.

The fact that I don't even need to tell you which team represents Good and which stands for Evil says a lot about how low New England has sunk. You knew instantly which was which, didn't you?

Argument for the Indianapolis Colts as paladins who carry the banner of that which is beneficent: Sportsmanship, honesty, modesty, devotion to community, embrace of traditional small-town life, belief in higher power, even love of laughter. The Colts are the defending champions, so they obviously play well on the field. Yet after winning the Super Bowl, they have remained humble and appealing. Through prior years of postseason frustration, they never complained or pointed the finger outside their team. Their players are active in community affairs and don't carp about being assigned to a nonglamorous Farm Belt city with an antiquated stadium. Their coach, Tony Dungy, smiles in public and answers honestly whatever he is asked: He never yells at players or grimaces at bad plays and, when defeated, doesn't act as though it's the end of the world. Although religious, Dungy said on the night he won the Super Bowl that God doesn't care about football games, which shows perspective. The team's star, Peyton Manning, stands for love of family, constantly appearing in public with his brothers, father and mother. Manning is happily married and a major donor to a children's hospital. Manning spends a lot of time at children's camps and events, and he constantly makes fun of himself. Ladies and gentlemen, representing Good, the Indianapolis Colts.

Argument for the New England Patriots as scoundrels in the service of that which is baleful: Dishonesty, cheating, arrogance, hubris, endless complaining even in success. The Patriots have three Super Bowl rings, but that jewelry is tarnished by their cheating scandal. They run up the score to humiliate opponents -- more on that below -- thus mocking sportsmanship. Their coach snaps and snarls in public, seeming to feel contempt for the American public that has brought him wealth and celebrity. Victory seems to give Bill Belichick no joy, and defeat throws him into fury. Belichick and the rest of the top of the Patriots' organization continue to refuse to answer questions about what was in the cheating tapes -- and generally, you refuse to answer questions if you have something to hide. The team has three Super Bowl triumphs, yet its players regularly whine about not being revered enough. The team's star, Tom Brady, is a smirking sybarite who dates actresses and supermodels but whose public charity appearances are infrequent. That constant smirk on Brady's face reminds one of Dick Cheney; people who smirk are fairly broadcasting the message, "I'm hiding something." The Patriots seem especially creepy at this point because we still don't know whether they have told the full truth about the cheating scandal -- or even whether they really have stopped cheating. They say they have, but their word is not exactly gold at this juncture. Ladies and gentlemen, representing Evil, the New England Patriots.

:D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could have written more, like about Tom's illegitmate child; Belichick, father of 3, cheating on his wife which precipitated his divorce; Belichick's shoving of/giving a facial to a photographer at the conclusion of a New England game last year, and his refusal to shake Peyton Manning's hand after his team was bested by the Colts in the AFC championship game; Also recent accusations of Mike Vrabel going for the knees of an offensive lineman at the conclusion of the Patriots/Browns game a few weeks ago; Rodney Harrison's use of HGH and being voted as the "dirtiest player in the NFL;" and the Patriots mocking of Shawn Merriman on San Diego's field following their upset defeat of the Chargers in the playoffs last year.

Edited by Crazysight

Easterbrook is overstating his case a bit, as he is wont to do, but as usual TMQ is an entertaining read. Though somewhat less so this year than in year's past....or is it just me?

All fits perfectly for me.

And better yet,

Good always prevails in the end.:D

You've never seen Spaceballs, have you?

Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Edited by cdrudge

Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Well, to run with the Colts/good vs Pats/evil thing, Tony Dungy didn't have guys standing in plain sight with camcorders taping opponents' sidelines.

:D Then again, maybe that was arrogance more than stupidity. Same result, however.

Lot of Pats haters out there today...!!!

Funny how the Pats are 7 and 0 and NO mention of video gate anymore......!!! Yeah, they cheated...like most teams have done, but Belichick thought he was above the law....he is arrogant, for sure...but he wins....and they are not only winning this year, they are spanking opponents, without 'cheating'.....

tired of the undefeated season BS.....Let them play the games each week...focus on the NEXT opponent....for sure, they are NOT looking past the Skins to Indy next week...Ditto with Colts....It will...should....be a great game.....

i think the reason that Pats are 'evil' is that they've won 3.....undefeated...putting up monster points......everyone hates a winner....just ask the Yankees, aka Evil Empire....

I will be in Vegas for the big matchup on November 4th....!! Good vs Evil....dont care what side Pats represent...as long as they come out on the WINNING side!!

Lot of Pats haters out there today...!!!

Funny how the Pats are 7 and 0 and NO mention of video gate anymore......!!! Yeah, they cheated...like most teams have done, but Belichick thought he was above the law....he is arrogant, for sure...but he wins....and they are not only winning this year, they are spanking opponents, without 'cheating'.....

tired of the undefeated season BS.....Let them play the games each week...focus on the NEXT opponent....for sure, they are NOT looking past the Skins to Indy next week...Ditto with Colts....It will...should....be a great game.....

i think the reason that Pats are 'evil' is that they've won 3.....undefeated...putting up monster points......everyone hates a winner....just ask the Yankees, aka Evil Empire....

I will be in Vegas for the big matchup on November 4th....!! Good vs Evil....dont care what side Pats represent...as long as they come out on the WINNING side!!

ill be in indy!

cant wait...seats we bought a couple months ago are going for double what we paid now on stub hub

captain hook...get at me...were doin some drinking...plus im not sure if the omni has hbo..and i need a place to catch the calzaghe/kessler super middleweight showdown at 8pm on saturday night

Despite the over-the-top ridiculousness of this article, the author's point about the massive cultural divide between the two organizations and their markets couldn't be more accurate. That's part of what makes this such a great rivalry.

Yep. Over the top yet a lot of truths in there.

I actually liked NE when they were winning at first (ie first SB etc) and for the same reasons as the Colts now - weren't arrogant, didn't have the thugs and general aholes of other recent SB winners (eg Ravens, Bucs). Now between the cheating and the attitudes etc....I actually couldn't decide who to root for in the NE/DAL game.

Yep. Over the top yet a lot of truths in there.

I actually liked NE when they were winning at first (ie first SB etc) and for the same reasons as the Colts now - weren't arrogant, didn't have the thugs and general aholes of other recent SB winners (eg Ravens, Bucs). Now between the cheating and the attitudes etc....I actually couldn't decide who to root for in the NE/DAL game.

Seriously? Who has displayed one iota of attitude on the Pats?

When do you ever hear anything other than "They are a great football team, we had to prepare really hard for them. They have great players. We were fortunate enough to be able to make a few key play at the right times that helped us win the game". Etc., Etc, Etc. That's what 99.99% of the sound bites I have heard from patriots players in the last 6 years have sounded like, and I have heard more of them than most.

This digging for dirt is just funny.

hehehe......

hyperbole, but funny. i have little hard feelings toward NE "the team." BB's arrogance and being a biatch with regard to FF are my only gripes.... really just a small handful of fans that turned me off of the pats.

I don't like the Patriots but they're not the Raiders.

What the hell is this supposed to mean? You're not still bitter about Super Bowl XI are you? Keep the Raiders out of this. The Patriots = True Evil

Charles Woodson on a blitz, Woodson knocks the ball loose and the Tuck Rule is born. BS

Someone in that organization sold their soul to the devil and will surely rot in hell for that one.

Patriots = Cheatriots = Evil

BTW - As a Raider fan, I'll trade you JaMarcus Russell for Adrian Peterson right now.