[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stallworth Over Welker?

Demosthenes

We've all heard the argument that Welker has only performed well since Watson's been out. However, Stallworth has a TD the past 3 consecutive games, starting before Watson was out, and was definitely a better play than Welker in week 5. Once Watson returns, is it likely Stallworth could see more worth as a fantasy receiver than Welker?

thru 7 weeks FF points in standard league...

Moss133 (10 td's leads the league :D ), Welker 85 (5 td's), Donte 55 (3 td's)

Welker will be a strong play the rest of the season given he's a slot receiver and its tuff

for LB's to match his speed...

Donte, being a wideout, will lose some yds and td's to Moss...

injuries aside, i think Welker will have a bigger FF season

it might change week to week, he's not a true definition of a Stud WR, but he

is unique in the Patriots system...

but don't forget, Brady throws to whoever is open

but don't forget, Brady throws to whoever is open

I'm with that. I just want to keep getting a piece of this Offense this year. This is just my theory, but if you're trying to decide between starting Welker or Stallworth, don't. Ride them both all year, unless you have a clear unadulterated Stud WR to start ahead of one of them.

PS - Nice nickname! Did you like Xenocide also? I don't get why that one gets bashed so much from the trilogy...

Edited by doctor_stoppage

PS - Nice nickname! Did you like Xenocide also? I don't get why that one gets bashed so much from the trilogy...

you talkin' about 'pig devilz'?...had that name for 6 or 7 years now

if have not a clue what Xenocide is....sounds like a video game? never play them.

cheers

They don't call him "Streetclothes Stallworth" for nothing.

:D

Stallworth is huge on potential.

I have Welker and wouldn't trade him for Stallworth............Welker returns punts and with Ne DE, He will always have that option, great route runner who has the ability to make plays, good play everyweek in my mind?

I also have Welker and could've picked up Stallworth off the WW a few weeks ago, but decided to stick with Wes due to Stallworth's injury history, and stand "pat" with that decision. :D

Same here.

What happens when the Patriots are in a 2 wideout set? ....yep you nailed it! Stallworth is in and Welker is riding the sideline.

So?

From Mike Reiss' Blog on Boston.com

"A look at the positional groupings used by the Patriots' offense Sunday against the Dolphins:

3 WR/1 TE/1 RB -- 29 of 52 snaps

4 WR/1 RB -- 15 of 52

2 WR/2 TE/1 RB -- 4 of 52

3 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 3 of 52

3 WR/1 FB/1 RB -- 1 of 52

QB Tom Brady -- 43 of 52

WR Randy Moss -- 42 of 52 4/122 and 2 TDs

WR Donte' Stallworth -- 41 of 52 4/51 and 1 TD

WR Wes Welker -- 41 of 52 9/132 and 2 TDs

TE Kyle Brady -- 32 of 52

RB Kevin Faulk -- 31 of 52

WR Jabar Gaffney -- 26 of 52

TE Marcellus Rivers -- 11 of 52

RB/FB Heath Evans -- 10 of 52

RB Kyle Eckel -- 7 of 52

RB Laurence Maroney -- 7 of 52

WR Kelley Washington -- 7 of 52

QB Matt Gutierrez -- 6 of 52

QB Matt Cassel -- 3 of 52

TE/LB Mike Vrabel -- 3 of 52

LB/FB Junior Seau -- 1 of 52"

In the Dallas game Stallworth had slightly more yards (136 - 124), but Welker had more catches and TDs (11-7, and 2-1)

While I agree that Stallworth didn't start off strong due to getting in game shape, Welker is the new Troy Brown (or Ben Coates) As long as he holds on to the ball and make plays, Brady will keep looking his way.

Welker's speed and Brady's apparent consistency to look his way puts Welker on top in my book.

Agree! :D

Edited by nhoops

I have Stallworth in one league. He's great as a spot fill in because he will have those big games. But as an every week starter he will make you pull out your hair. You can trade him, but it would be very hard to get much value for him.

Same here.

So?

From Mike Reiss' Blog on Boston.com

"A look at the positional groupings used by the Patriots' offense Sunday against the Dolphins:

3 WR/1 TE/1 RB -- 29 of 52 snaps

4 WR/1 RB -- 15 of 52

2 WR/2 TE/1 RB -- 4 of 52

3 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 3 of 52

3 WR/1 FB/1 RB -- 1 of 52

QB Tom Brady -- 43 of 52

WR Randy Moss -- 42 of 52 4/122 and 2 TDs

WR Donte' Stallworth -- 41 of 52 4/51 and 1 TD

WR Wes Welker -- 41 of 52 9/132 and 2 TDs

TE Kyle Brady -- 32 of 52

RB Kevin Faulk -- 31 of 52

WR Jabar Gaffney -- 26 of 52

TE Marcellus Rivers -- 11 of 52

RB/FB Heath Evans -- 10 of 52

RB Kyle Eckel -- 7 of 52

RB Laurence Maroney -- 7 of 52

WR Kelley Washington -- 7 of 52

QB Matt Gutierrez -- 6 of 52

QB Matt Cassel -- 3 of 52

TE/LB Mike Vrabel -- 3 of 52

LB/FB Junior Seau -- 1 of 52"

In the Dallas game Stallworth had slightly more yards (136 - 124), but Welker had more catches and TDs (11-7, and 2-1)

While I agree that Stallworth didn't start off strong due to getting in game shape, Welker is the new Troy Brown (or Ben Coates) As long as he holds on to the ball and make plays, Brady will keep looking his way.

Agree! :D

nice post nhoops....i was looking for that and couldn't find it on Boston.com

I think you definitely choose Welker over Stallworth. The first is production alone, Welker has 47 catches to 22 by Stallworth, which suggests Brady targets him twice as many times. In my league's scoring system (6 pts for TD, 1 point for 15 yards receiving, 1 point for every 50 KR yards, 1 pt for every Punt Return yards and 6 for a return TD), Welker has put up these weekly scores 10,6,5,2,2,22,22. Stallworth has put up 1,1,1,3,10,16,9. Welker is averaging 4 points more a game than Stallworth and 4.2 more points if you eliminate the lowest and highest point totals. The possibility Welker may also break for a special teams TD is also enticing. Matchupwise, Welker will see more looks against LBs than a team's top CB in coverage.

While I do not expect this production to keep up, I think that Welker gives a better chance of consistently putting up 7 points every week than Stallworth, but Stallworth does have the potential to put up monster weeks, but most likely will put up about 50 yards receiving with no touchdowns.

Finally, the PATS goalline offense tends to be Randy Moss, 2 or 3 TEs and a FB and RB. So they both lose at the goaline so they need to get their TDs from 10+ yards out. I think Welker's routes out of the slot help him in this regard especially when they get in the Red Zone.

Edited by gilwiggum

What happens when the Patriots are in a 2 wideout set? ....yep you nailed it! Stallworth is in and Welker is riding the sideline.

Yeah, that happens often :D

And guess how many times they run out of a 2-WR set...about 70% of the time.

So that means Stallworth is on the field for about an extra 2-3 passing plays.

The other 40 times Brady throws the ball, Welker is on the field, and is open wider than Brittney Spears climbing out of a limo.

In this offense, knowing Brady and Belichek's confidence in him, I'll take Welker 99 times out of a 100 over Stallworth.

Yeah, that happens often :D

And guess how many times they run out of a 2-WR set...about 70% of the time.

So that means Stallworth is on the field for about an extra 2-3 passing plays.

The other 40 times Brady throws the ball, Welker is on the field, and is open wider than Brittney Spears climbing out of a limo.

In this offense, knowing Brady and Belichek's confidence in him, I'll take Welker 99 times out of a 100 over Stallworth.

Well...slight exaggeration here Swammi...I mean, no WR could get that open...

IMO, Welker is the pick. The man makes plays and he catches the ball. He's the perfect player for that team...does his job, does it well, no muss, no fuss. If Stallworth weren't the bigger "name," we'd not even be having this discussion.

...Remember Mike Furrey last season...?