[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My Gestapo Commish is Drunk on Power

txpkrbkr

I've played in the same FFL for 5 years. Every year we have a different Commissioner who is voted upon by the members of the league. Our rules & scoring change very little from year to year. Here is a sampling of some of the crap my Commish has pulled this year...what would you do?

New Commish put forth no effort to properly set up the online league before the season started. He half-assed the whole setup and it is coming back to bite everyone in the ass. He's changing long-standing rules & procedures on the fly, and getting way too personal in evaluating trades for "fairness."

2 trades were proposed & accepted. Commish says, "There are 2 pending trades that have yet to be approved to go through. Our league should have been set up for a challenge system but I believe it is currently off. We need to do this manually this week and I will work on correcting this problem." One trade went through, and he vetoed the other claiming that a majority of owners challenged the trade.

2 more trades proposed & accepted, and he still hasn't gone back and set the online trade challenge system (which is BS anyway), he vetoes both trades because they're not "fair," and says, "The poll system of old was ineffective and will not return. The point of a veto system is to allow the owners to voice their approval or disapproval of a trade, and that is exactly what is taking place. Some people don't have access to a computer, or will simply overlook a poll that challenges a trade."

2 more trades proposed & accepted, still with no online trade challenge system in place. He lets one pass because it is "fair" and vetoes the other one because it is "suspect." Also claims that a majority of owners either called or text messaged challenges to him.

Here's the kicker. Team A proposes trade to Team B. Team B accepts. Trade goes up for Commish approval. Team A gets cold feet and asks Commish to cancel the trade for him without even consulting Team B. Commish obliges and says he will give the same courtesy to any owner who enters into an accepted trade agreement and gets cold feet.

Commish evaluates every trade as if it is his own team and challenges the owners' intelligence for making said trades. If the trade isn't straight up apples for apples, he vetoes it.

Lastly, I'll mention that the Commish has been in 1st place for most of our season. There is a contingent of 4 owners (1/3 of the league) who fight this Commish every time he does something like this, and the Commish's solution to every challenge is, "Shut up. You're stupid." Obviously I'm not playing with them next year, but is there ANY way to right this ship for this season? I'm on the bubble and am gun-shy to try and better my team through trades because of this awful precedent. Yes...money is involved. :D

Edited by txpkrbkr

This commish is a moran. A commish should not be a micromanager. A good commish should set the date and manage the draft, set up the website, collect the dues and then back off and run their own team. Interfering in trades and throwing heavy handed decisions down kill their credibillity and the owners enjoyment of a fair and competitive league. Do your best to finish the season and get some of that money back to use on a new league next year.

I've played in the same FFL for 5 years. Every year we have a different Commissioner who is voted upon by the members of the league. Our rules & scoring change very little from year to year. Here is a sampling of some of the crap my Commish has pulled this year...what would you do?

New Commish put forth no effort to properly set up the online league before the season started. He half-assed the whole setup and it is coming back to bite everyone in the ass. He's changing long-standing rules & procedures on the fly, and getting way too personal in evaluating trades for "fairness."

Oct 4 - "There are 2 pending trades that have yet to be approved to go through. Our league should have been set up for a challenge system but I believe it is currently off. We need to do this manually this week and I will work on correcting this problem."

A couple weeks later, after NOT going back and setting up the online trade challenge system (which is BS anyway), and after he made another executive decision to veto a trade, this is what he said: "The poll system of old was ineffective and will not return. The point of a veto system is to allow the owners to voice their approval or disapproval of a trade, and that is exactly what is taking place. Some people don't have access to a computer, or will simply overlook a poll that challenges a trade. Again, ultimately there is no difference."

When the first 2 trades went up to the league for challenge, the Commish called owners and text messaged owners to get their veto votes because "they don't have access to a computer." I wonder how these owners are setting their lineups each week...osmosis? Shouldn't owners be responsible for knowing what's going on in the league and being active participants in league procedures? Shouldn't all lobbying be done online where everyone can see it, and see factual challenge results? "You got vetoed, sorry" doesn't work in my mind.

Then, another 2 trades were proposed & accepted, still with no online trade challenge system in place...Here's what he said about those trades - " I'm having a hard time with the two new trades that have been accepted. I do believe owners should be able to make trades, but only if the trade is fair to the league and to each of the teams involved. I apologize if I am way off base, but I can't help but to think these trades are suspect." Result? Veto.

Now...here's another glowing viewpoint on trades. This is unacceptable to me!!! One team offered Steve Smith & Randle El in exchange for Adrian Peterson (MIN). The Adrian Peterson team accepted the trade, and after Randle El blew up for 100yds & a TD later that day, the Smith/Randle El owner (the team who originated the trade in the first place) asked the Commish to cancel the trade for him without consulting the other team. Granted...it worked out well for the Peterson owner, but the principle of the matter is infurating. Commish said: "It boils down to the question: Can somebody who has accepted a trade change their mind before the trade goes through? To me the answer is obviously yes. If the system doesn't allow an owner to do so, then I will gladly cancel it for them if asked."

The Commish is set on parity in the league at all costs (BCS anyone?). He won't let a trade go through unless it is a completely equal swap-out. Hell, he vetoed Sammy Morris for Joey Galloway (when Sammy was healthy) because "Sammy Morris is just a backup." He also questioned Brandon Jacobs for Joey Galloway because he thought the person receiving Jacobs had better options to start at RB than the newly-acquired Jacobs. In the Commish's mind, the "better" RB solution for the person getting Jacobs was Thomas Jones. Crack-head.

Lastly, I'll mention that the Commish has been in 1st place for most of our season. There is a contingent of 4 owners (1/3 of the league) who fight this Commish every time he does something like this, and the Commish's solution to every challenge is, "Shut up. You're stupid." Obviously I'm not playing with them next year, but is there ANY way to right this ship for this season? I'm on the bubble and am gun-shy to try and better my team through trades because of this awful precedent. Yes...money is involved. :wacko:

I have a headache after reading all this. :D Sounds like the 4 of you need to take the commish out back and have a "TALK" :D with him. I started my own league 9 years ago for this very reason. I am the only one who approves or disapproves trades and no one has ever had any issue with my decisions. If I am involved with a trade then the decision goes to another member.

where do people get these idiot commishes? That is ridiculous. I have been the commish of my league for 8 yrs now and never have vetoed a trade. I check for only collusion and that's it. Plus you can't let other teams decide what's fair, because then a trade would never get approved.

This guy is a dick.

I commish a little "fun" $40 league and I would definitely consider myself a stickler for rules, fair trading, conduct, etc. However, instead of micromanaging during the season, I took the time to write up 8 pages of very detailed rules covering every conceivable irregularity or attempt by an owner to cheat or collude with other owners. I sent it out before the draft and told everyone to read it. There have been about 10-15 trades already, which I approved. A couple of owners whined about one trade because they felt one owner got the better end of the deal. In those instances I referred them to the section covering trades and what constitutes collusion. Once the whiners read that, they shut up.

In the case of a league that rotates commishes, I would still recommend you keep rules as a "living document" that would be passed on from year to year and only changed when a 2/3 majority agreed, and only before draft day. If you have everything in writing, it greatly reduces that chances of any issues like you described.

I am SPEECHLESS (good thing I can still type). That post from last year could not have been more accurate for my situation. Our little 1/3 league minority has been arguing many of your excellent points during this season. The reassuring part is that I'm not in a unique situation. I am even more motivated to continue kicking their a$$es, take their money one more time, and leave. A leopard can't change its spots but I sure can spend its money.

While I do bow down to your infinite wisdom, mostly I appreciate the common sense I see here. I've been a Huddle member for a few years now and just recently stumbled onto the Message Boards. I plan to be an active member from now on!

One last thought. The sweetest revenge for me is that I am the lone female in my league. To take money from these douchebags once was pretty sweet. To take it from them again this year after they did all they could to keep me from making my team better will be FREAKIN AWESOME. Thanks again - you guys RULE.

Welcome to the message boards and don't think for a minute that just because you're a "lady" that you'll get any special treatment from the long standing memebers. Good luck with your commish problem. :D

Listen to everything Big John has to say. And Tim C. Class acts all the way around. Sorta.