[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Class vs. Classless

Cowboyz1

This team is completely classless in my eyes.

Well, the 80' Raiders always towed the line between classlessness and a championship mentality and it seems that the Pats are using some of that also. It seems like they had the championship caliber talent, and when everyone labeled them classless cheaters, they just said screw it.

I tell you what, I think it's pretty f'n cool. I've never seen a team like this kick so much ass over 1/2 of a season while getting so many people worked up. I'm intrigued.

They might be classless, but they just beat a pretty good team by 47 points.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no issues with teams playing till the last whistle, but give me a break already. New England has simply tried to embarass it's opponents and that is directly related to Billick.

Billick would give his right arm for Baltimore to be able to score 52 points in two games, never mind one.

first, did we really need ANOTHER thread on this topic?

anyway, what you haters don't understand is that the Patriots use that 'garbage time'

to work on what they need to work on.....like running the ball in the redzone.

what better place to practice than in a game. what luxury. :D

but, i do agree they are taking a risk of gettting somebody hurt, not just Tom.

I admit to not seeing the Redskins v Patriots game, but I can say this - a team has to work damn hard to score 50+ point in an NFL game.

I have followed the NFL for over 30 years and have watched the dominant teams from each decade - Dolphins and Steelers of the 70's; 49ers of the 80's; Cowboys and Broncos from the 90's. All of these teams were head and shoulders above their competition and won the majority of their games with relative ease while they were at the top of their game. But with rare exception did they hang 40+ points on the board. And that's the thing about this season's Pats that troubles me....

Are they really that much better than any of the other great teams I mentioned where they can easily put every opponent away in the first half week in, week out? Or are they playing against such mediocre competition in today's NFL, that by barely trying, they can still score almost at will? Or is it something else?

To me, it seems clear Belichick was pissed about the loss to the Colts in the AFC championship game last season and has taken the whole filmgate thing personally - so he is doing everything he can to flip off the entire league in 2007. There are no shortage of blogs and columns written about this. He has his foot on the pedal and isn't letting up. Poor sportsmanship? Perhaps... If his team is really that much better than every other team in the league right now, then the rest of the league needs to shut up and figure out a way to beat them.

If though, the Pats are really working hard each week to blow out their opponent and embarass them in the process so there will be no doubt as to their "superiority", then the old saying "What goes around comes around" will most certainly apply. It may not happen this season... the Pats may very well go 19-0 and win the Super Bowl by 3 TDs. But at some point, there will be a fall and it will be ugly.

So who should put their second teamers out their first? The team winning or the team losing? :D

According to the unwritten rules of coaching the winning team will pull their starters after the losing team does. In reality, both teams probably end up slowly substituting more of their reserves into the game at various positions, but if the losing team makes a mass substitution the winning team will surely follow suit. I didn't watch the NE/WASH game today, but I'd find it hard to believe NE kept their starters in if WASH pulled their first team. It is ultimately up to the losing team to decide when the game is over and the reserves take the field.

It's simple to me. Blitz the entire team & pound Brady high, low, & in between. See how much they win by without Brady.

Exactly, this is the NFL and if I recall correctly in all my years of watching football, it stands for "Not For Long". Success in the NFL is temporary because they will find a way to beat you. If you have no class and or respect then they will employ any means necessary to do it. You don't go after a guy like Payton or Farve but keep pulling this NE crap and Brady is a sitting duck...........When I say go after, I mean, GO AFTER not just play hard and take honest shots like Payton took today by Jenkins.

Man, I am tired of seeing people crying for professional football teams that get beat down. Yea, I know you may have issues from that 60-0 beat down you took in peewee football but come on these are pros. To me NE plays the game right, you go for the jugular. Teams at all levels have lost entire seasons because they wanted to be cute with a big lead then get walked down and lose the game. High school down, yes call off the dogs. College up, score a 100 if you can.

Man, I am tired of seeing people crying for professional football teams that get beat down. Yea, I know you may have issues from that 60-0 beat down you took in peewee football but come on these are pros. To me NE plays the game right, you go for the jugular. Teams at all levels have lost entire seasons because they wanted to be cute with a big lead then get walked down and lose the game. High school down, yes call off the dogs. College up, score a 100 if you can.

That's BS and you know it. I am certainly not saying NE is not looking great right now but what I am saying is they are playing stupidly when you have your all world QB out there with a 40 point lead itching to break a record while some pissed off Redskin defender is itching to kill him because he's running up the score on them and setting himself up for 8 more teams to take a shot at it. I could care less about what they do or how they do it unitl hopefully we see them again. I am however, pointing out the concequences of their actions and predict what just very well may be their fatal flaw.

Live by the beat down, die by the beat down. We shall see won't we........and they sure look like the greatest 8 weeks into the season! :D

According to the unwritten rules of coaching the winning team will pull their starters after the losing team does. In reality, both teams probably end up slowly substituting more of their reserves into the game at various positions, but if the losing team makes a mass substitution the winning team will surely follow suit. I didn't watch the NE/WASH game today, but I'd find it hard to believe NE kept their starters in if WASH pulled their first team. It is ultimately up to the losing team to decide when the game is over and the reserves take the field.

Wrong, the winning team typically pulls their starters because they don't want them hurt by frustrated losers. At least that is the way I have always seen it done then the team getting beat down follows suit conceding. Miami the exception because there is little difference between 1st and 2nd teamers.

Now Eisen retracted it as they showed a still shot of the hand shake.

Gibbs also said in the postgame interview, when asked if the Patriots should have let up, "No, I have no problem with anything that they did," he said. "Nothing, no problems from me."

Wrong, the winning team typically pulls their starters because they don't want them hurt by frustrated losers. At least that is the way I have always seen it done then the team getting beat down follows suit conceding. Miami the exception because there is little difference between 1st and 2nd teamers.

I agree with you on this Cowboys1, but Belichick will be the one who will need to provide the answers should someone get hurt after it is determined the game is "well in hand".

Even with Cassel put into the game with 8:30 left in the fourth quarter, they still went for it on fourth and two during that drive. I understand people saying that the Patriots should have let up, or "showed mercy", but I just do not have a problem with the Patriots "running up the score". :D

Edited by Gunther

So are the 2nd teamers supposed to get game experience or not? Cassel was the one who completed that pass.

I cannot recall ever seeing a team throw a pass up 40+ to 0 in the NFL on any down. EVER. Big J? Anyone?

Say your the Bills, Jets, Ravens or Miami right now. After this game it is a very easy for me to envision thoughts like "look we have no chance of beating these guys but lets make sure we get our Pound of Flesh."

Bills get them at home for some Losman payback, and the Ravens in their house for some ruff housing.

All they had to do was play football and run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, punt, and teams just say, yeah their great. Man their playing some great football right now. Instead, it's easy to be saying "can you believe that $hit, ok fine, you may beat us by 70, but your going to lose somebody important doing it, I promise you that".

IMO they just made it so much harder on themselves which I think is pretty dumb for such a smart team........

To me, it seems clear Belichick was pissed about the loss to the Colts in the AFC championship game last season and has taken the whole filmgate thing personally - so he is doing everything he can to flip off the entire league in 2007. There are no shortage of blogs and columns written about this. He has his foot on the pedal and isn't letting up. Poor sportsmanship? Perhaps... If his team is really that much better than every other team in the league right now, then the rest of the league needs to shut up and figure out a way to beat them.

If though, the Pats are really working hard each week to blow out their opponent and embarass them in the process so there will be no doubt as to their "superiority", then the old saying "What goes around comes around" will most certainly apply. It may not happen this season... the Pats may very well go 19-0 and win the Super Bowl by 3 TDs. But at some point, there will be a fall and it will be ugly.

I think Belichick is still PO'd about the Indy loss last year, and PO'd about tapegate. I think after next week and the subsequent bye you will see a more ball control running oriented game. Morris should be back, and hopefully Maroney will still be healthy, and the weather will be getting colder and more suitable to running. Some of the comments Belichick has made indicate that he feels he has to outscore teams to win, because right now Offense is ahead of Defense in the NFL. I also think he is using "garbage time" to practice and keeping his offense on track. If someone's feelings get hurt, I don't think he cares. Personally I think they could lay off some, but I think Belichick is on a mission and he has the pedal to the floor and he ain't taking his foot off until at least after the Colts game. It will be interesting to see if/how his philosophy changes if they lose to the Colts.

I think Belichick is still PO'd about the Indy loss last year, and PO'd about tapegate. I think after next week and the subsequent bye you will see a more ball control running oriented game. Morris should be back, and hopefully Maroney will still be healthy, and the weather will be getting colder and more suitable to running. Some of the comments Belichick has made indicate that he feels he has to outscore teams to win, because right now Offense is ahead of Defense in the NFL. I also think he is using "garbage time" to practice and keeping his offense on track. If someone's feelings get hurt, I don't think he cares. Personally I think they could lay off some, but I think Belichick is on a mission and he has the pedal to the floor and he ain't taking his foot off until at least after the Colts game. It will be interesting to see if/how his philosophy changes if they lose to the Colts.

Without Brady he never wouldn't have won any superbowls. What he's doing shows little sportsmanship and is also dangerous. Bledsoe replaced him when he was hurt the first SB year, who would do it this time? Cassel? :D

I believe NE is making a statement ... "we don't need to cheat to win"
I had the game on in the other room for some background noise, but didn't I hear that Washington was having troubles with the headsets between upstairs and on the field? And wasn't that one of the accusations of other teams back during SpyGate that the visiting team's radios had a tendency to "stop working" for no reason but then magically start working again when someone looks into it? :D I'm not saying...I'm just saying...

I'm just glad Indy will beat the Patsies next week at home. Limits how much the Patriots can tamper with things before the game. :D