[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Super Show Down; 8-0 Pats vs 7-0 Colts

manhattan nights

Um, the Colts are beating up an aggregate 26-17 schedule by around +17 a week.

The Pats opponents are a less-robust 24-26, and they are giving up a couple points more per game on defense.

The big difference is that the Pats are scoring about 42 a week, while the Colts are truckin' along at a pathetic 32 a week - but NE has been slightly more healthy (calling Maroney and Addai a wash, since both had capable fill-ins but Harrison has been hurt while the Pats have had a full boat at WR all year), and also there's a perception that NE is piling it on a bit more, whereas Indy backs off earlier in their games.

I think NE so far looks better than Indy, but it isn't as big a gulf as it's being made out to be. A big part of that perception is due to NE piling points onto somewhat lesser competition. And there are NO common opponents on which to really lay out a baseline.

+1

Um, the Colts are beating up an aggregate 26-17 schedule by around +17 a week.

The Pats opponents are a less-robust 24-26, and they are giving up a couple points more per game on defense.

The big difference is that the Pats are scoring about 42 a week, while the Colts are truckin' along at a pathetic 32 a week - but NE has been slightly more healthy (calling Maroney and Addai a wash, since both had capable fill-ins but Harrison has been hurt while the Pats have had a full boat at WR all year), and also there's a perception that NE is piling it on a bit more, whereas Indy backs off earlier in their games.

I think NE so far looks better than Indy, but it isn't as big a gulf as it's being made out to be. A big part of that perception is due to NE piling points onto somewhat lesser competition. And there are NO common opponents on which to really lay out a baseline.

No doubt that the Pats have faced much weaker competition. But they've absolutely destroyed/embarrassed all of them. The Colts have looked far from dominant at times (like the first 25 minutes of today's game) and have scored the majority of their points in the second half, after wearing out the opposition's defense. NE has been kicking ass right from the whistle.

The Colts have three problems right now...

(1) Their O-line isn't playing very well

(2) Their pass rush has been pedestrian

(3) Marvin is nowhere near 100%, and probably won't be seven days from now

Next Sunday's game will be a shootout. With a mediocre pass rush and with the way that NE's O-line has been playing, Indy's secondary is going to give up about 40 points. Not only are the Colts lacking their deep threat in Marvin right now, but Peyton isn't getting enough time in the pocket to make the big plays downfield anyway. The one thing that they ARE doing well offensively (playing ball-control) isn't going to work against NE on the fast track and controlled climate of the Dome.

Trust me, I'd love nothing more than to see the Colts punch Belichick right in his smug face. But I still think that them pulling off the win would be a significant upset. I'm just hoping that NE falls back down to Earth in December/January. And losing home-field advantage next weekend might not be the worst thing for the Colts. Playing in a blizzard in Foxboro in January might actually favor them this time.

Edited by Bill Swerski

No doubt that the Pats have faced much weaker competition. But they've absolutely destroyed/embarrassed all of them. The Colts have looked far from dominant at times (like the first 25 minutes of today's game) and have scored the majority of their points in the second half, after wearing out the opposition's defense. NE has been kicking ass right from the whistle.

The Colts have three problems right now...

(1) Their O-line isn't playing very well

(2) Their pass rush has been pedestrian

(3) Marvin is nowhere near 100%, and probably won't be seven days from now

Next Sunday's game will be a shootout. With a mediocre pass rush and with the way that NE's O-line has been playing, Indy's secondary is going to give up about 40 points. Not only are the Colts lacking their deep threat in Marvin right now, but Peyton isn't getting enough time in the pocket to make the big plays downfield anyway. The one thing that they ARE doing well offensively (playing ball-control) isn't going to work against NE on the fast track and controlled climate of the Dome.

Trust me, I'd love nothing more than to see the Colts punch Belichick right in his smug face. But I still think that them pulling off the win would be a significant upset. I'm just hoping that NE falls back down to Earth in December/January. And losing home-field advantage next weekend might not be the worst thing for the Colts. Playing in a blizzard in Foxboro in January might actually favor them this time.

Well Said, I agree

I think what we'll see is the two best Offenses in the league taking apart two of the better defenses. Kinda like Ali-Frazier...last man standing wins. Pats 42 - Indy 37.

I'd love to see Indy win this and would be quick to point to their tougher schedule, etc for why it should happen. In college ball, relative strength of schedule matters because the difference between a win vs. Kent St. and one vs. say LSU is massive.

This is the pros, however, and even the Dolphins and Rams have enough talent on the field that you shouldn't be able to make them look like scout teams the way the Pats do. Hell, Washington has shut down a few decent offenses, so we're not even talking about a crappy defense this last week.

Thus, I absolutely think the Pats should be able to handle Indy. Perhaps not to the extent that we'll all be here next week saying that Brady should have been pulled in the 4th, but I would be surprised to see the game within 10 pts at the end.

My prediction: NE 38 Indy 27