[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

January 26, 1986

Caveman_Nick

Gotta side with the others here. C'mon Nick, equating a defensive player making a play with the play calling by NE in the 4th is nonsense. I don't think anyone is saying that the players on the field should be going half-assed regardless of the score.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...Henry Wachter...graduate of Uof I gets the best push of his third string life and manages to record a safety in the superbowl....THIRD STRING....and you somehow compare that with what happened with NE and WASH. How is the crackpipe treating ya?

You mean like Matt "I've never started a game in my life" Cassel running in for a TD?

Yeah...I'm comparing that. :D

gawd, as if defending their d00sh of a head coach for his complete lack of class isn't bad enough, pats fans have to get all sentimental and sanctimonious about it in the process :D

i don't really remember too well, 85 is a ways back....but was mcmahon flipping bombs to willie gault on 4th down in the 4th quarter of that game? :D

No he wasn't...and remember what happened to McMahon when the Bears were running up the score on the Packers all those years....he got slammed and was never the same QB after that. This type of crap will have consequences for Brady and the Pats. Someone is gonna get hurt and that is unfortunate.

No but they did put a 300lb lineman in to run up the score. And now when I see it on replays I laugh.

Belichick had a great quote

“I’ve been coaching too long,” Belichick said. “I remember being on that side. When I was coaching defense it was my job to keep the score down, not theirs. When you’re playing defense it’s your job to stop them. It’s not (the offense’s) job to not score. It’s like I tell the offense, what the (bleep) do you think I send you guys out there for? To punt? We have a punt team for that. That’s not your job. Your job is to go out there and score points. If you come off the field and you haven’t scored points you haven’t done your job.”

I agree its the defense job to stop the offense, and not the offense job to stop themselves. But most Pats fans are not seeing what most people are talking about here. When you are up 40 in the 4th quarter and your starting Qb is throwing deep, people have a problem with that. If this was baseball, star players would be plunked if they showed up the other team like the Pats are trying to do here. I firmly believe, Belicheat is trying to divert attention away from Spygate, by running up the score on everyone he faces, to say, see we didnt need to cheat to win, we cheated because we could, and it you aint cheating you aint trying. I completely disagree with this. Its my opinion, this would be the 1st SB run this team is going after, if it wasnt for Belicheat doing what he did before this season. before now, NE was never the best team in the league, just the most prepared, and does anyone have to ask why they were so prepared. either way, I dont wish injury on anyone, but I can see it coming, and those defending the pats now, will see it completely differently if Brady is rolled up on like Palmer in the playoffs a few yrs back, and his season is over. Until then, blind homers will continue to defend this team no matter what. And there is nothing wrong with that imo, but some certainly think it makes you look foolish.

You mean like Matt "I've never started a game in my life" Cassel running in for a TD?

Yeah...I'm comparing that. :D

Dude...go back and read the entire thread of crap you have posted. You said that you DEMAND that your team achieve excellence for the entire 60 minutes. Putting the SECOND string in for a series or two in the 4th quarter when you are up 45 is not cool. Kassel should have started the fourth quarter and the offense should have went....run...run....run...punt. Why the need to score any more points. Work on run blocking with the third string offensive line. SHEESH....why you would jump through such hoops here is beyond me.

Let me put this into a different perspective for ya. You are probably one of the guys who RIP sports players for claiming they are not role models and the such. You probably persecuted Vick because of the CHHHIIIIIILLLLLLDDDDDREN. And now you are coming onto this board knowing full well that hundreds of Pop Warner players were probably watching that game and learning that running up the score is a good thing. Now, waht are those coaches supposed to tell their kids when they have them in practice and the kids are wanting to throw on fourth and 5 up 40 points because their role model Brady did. I can't believe you find NOTHING wrong with this.

either way, I dont wish injury on anyone, but I can see it coming, and those defending the pats now, will see it completely differently if Brady is rolled up on like Palmer in the playoffs a few yrs back, and his season is over.

That play ticked me off in a big way. I am not even remotely a Bengirls fan, but if there is one thing I hate to see it's a game changing cheap shot like that.

Yes, I will be pissed of that happened to Brady. But I would be pissed if it happened to any player, at least any player of that level of importance. If someone did that to Manning, I would go out of my mind pissed off. And I hate the Bugger. In a friendly hate, sort of way :D

I agree its the defense job to stop the offense, and not the offense job to stop themselves. But most Pats fans are not seeing what most people are talking about here. When you are up 40 in the 4th quarter and your starting Qb is throwing deep, people have a problem with that. If this was baseball, star players would be plunked if they showed up the other team like the Pats are trying to do here. I firmly believe, Belicheat is trying to divert attention away from Spygate, by running up the score on everyone he faces, to say, see we didnt need to cheat to win, we cheated because we could, and it you aint cheating you aint trying. I completely disagree with this. Its my opinion, this would be the 1st SB run this team is going after, if it wasnt for Belicheat doing what he did before this season. before now, NE was never the best team in the league, just the most prepared, and does anyone have to ask why they were so prepared. either way, I dont wish injury on anyone, but I can see it coming, and those defending the pats now, will see it completely differently if Brady is rolled up on like Palmer in the playoffs a few yrs back, and his season is over. Until then, blind homers will continue to defend this team no matter what. And there is nothing wrong with that imo, but some certainly think it makes you look foolish.

I won't touch the nonsense of them not winning three Super Bowls since it is just asinine. But you are on the right track...sorta. I completely agree that they are

A.Running it up on purpose

B.It has to do with "spygate"

But I do not think it has anything to do with trying to divert attention. I think Belichick is genuinely pissed and has turned this entire season into a us vs. them. As a fan of the team he coaches I have zero problem with it. Running up the score and playing the starting defense in the 4th quarter keeps the chances of a fluke loss at a minimum.

To bring this to a fantasy perspective, I find it ironic that people complain every week about Maroney because he does not get enough touches and does not score touchdowns. Yet it usually the same people that are complaining to take the starters out to start the 4th quarter.

Dude...go back and read the entire thread of crap you have posted. You said that you DEMAND that your team achieve excellence for the entire 60 minutes. Putting the SECOND string in for a series or two in the 4th quarter when you are up 45 is not cool. Kassel should have started the fourth quarter and the offense should have went....run...run....run...punt. Why the need to score any more points. Work on run blocking with the third string offensive line. SHEESH....why you would jump through such hoops here is beyond me.

Let me put this into a different perspective for ya. You are probably one of the guys who RIP sports players for claiming they are not role models and the such. You probably persecuted Vick because of the CHHHIIIIIILLLLLLDDDDDREN. And now you are coming onto this board knowing full well that hundreds of Pop Warner players were probably watching that game and learning that running up the score is a good thing. Now, waht are those coaches supposed to tell their kids when they have them in practice and the kids are wanting to throw on fourth and 5 up 40 points because their role model Brady did. I can't believe you find NOTHING wrong with this.

You don't know the first thing about me....Please don't make assumptions about what I "probably think".

That would be like me taking this comment you make and claiming that you are one of those people that believe kids soccer games should end with 'everybody winning'. NTTAWWT.

QUOTE(Steeltown Dre @ 10/29/07 11:40am)

I'm confused - did you really just say "any points scored by the bears in the second half was "running up the score"?

I'm not trying to debate w/ you on the Pats this season. I'm trying to explain to you that the way the Bears ended the game in the last quarter was a total opposite of the way the Pats did. If you don't care to listen to that explanation, then that's OK, you don't have to. If you can show me how it's similar, open my eyes. Again, no one really cares about the 3rd quarter. There's still half the game left at the start of the third. The main point is: what is the situation starting the 4th quarter, and what do you do in the 4th to "close out" and end the game. NE didn't do anything similar to the Bears in SB XX.

Again, the main point of my original post was that as a budding football fan, my team got housed. Bad. It was humiliating from the first snap. It wasn't humiliating because of what happened at any singular point in the game. There was no 'saving face' or anything like that. Sacking the opposing QB for a safety isn't exactly taking it easy on the other team.

And I don't care. The Bears killed the Pats. Good for them. 100% good for them. I am not trying to turn this into a play by play analysis of the games.

If you want a reasoned explanation of the Patriots play in the 4th quarter, one is posted earlier in this thread. Here's a recap...

QUOTE(Caveman_Nick @ 10/29/07 10:15am)

As far as scoring in the 4th quarter, complaining about either score is a bit of a joke to me. One came on the first drive of the quarter, a drive that started with 2 minutes left in the third quarter. It was an 8 minute drive (for all the folks complaining about the pats running out the clock.....please explain to me how running an 8 minute drive is not running out the clock). The second score was by the second a mix of the second, third, and 4th string players. Matt Cassell, who never started a game in College or in the NFL. Heath Evans. Kyle Eckel Both of which weren't good enough to make the Dolphins. Jabbar Gaffney, who was cut by the Texans. Do you really want to complain about a scoring drive spearheaded by such a mountain of talent? And sure...that drive only took 2:45 off the clock. It also started on the WAS 45...

I have no problem with either drive. Stop the 8 minute drive. Stop the QB run up the middle on 4th and 1 where they give you the chance to get the ball back instead of kicking a FG and scoring points. Stop Matt Freaking Cassel and Kyle Eckel. The team isn't going to play dead, so don't expect them to.

If Matt Cassel, Kyle Eckel, and Jabbar Gaffney are wantonly driving down the field, that means the opposing team mailed it in. That's their fault. Play the whole game.

Wow...Henry Wachter...graduate of Uof I gets the best push of his third string life and manages to record a safety in the superbowl....THIRD STRING....and you somehow compare that with what happened with NE and WASH. How is the crackpipe treating ya?

Actually he graduated from the U. of Nebraska. He's from my hometown of Epworth IA. Not really relevant but when will I ever get the chance to point out an NFL player being from my hometown. :D

I completely agree that they are

A.Running it up on purpose

B.It has to do with "spygate"

and you don't think that demonstrates a lack of class?

But I do not think it has anything to do with trying to divert attention. I think Belichick is genuinely pissed and has turned this entire season into a us vs. them.

so...the guy cheats, gets caught, and gets punished....and gets back at the world for this "injustice" by being a classless pr!ck and showing other teams up.

well, you pretty much have it down. that's more or less my take as well. except you seem to think this is a good thing, worthy of defending.

That play ticked me off in a big way. I am not even remotely a Bengirls fan, but if there is one thing I hate to see it's a game changing cheap shot like that.

Yes, I will be pissed of that happened to Brady. But I would be pissed if it happened to any player, at least any player of that level of importance. If someone did that to Manning, I would go out of my mind pissed off. And I hate the Bugger. In a friendly hate, sort of way :D

:D

and you don't think that demonstrates a lack of class?

so...the guy cheats, gets caught, and gets punished....and gets back at the world for this "injustice" by being a classless pr!ck and showing other teams up.

well, you pretty much have it down. that's more or less my take as well. except you seem to think this is a good thing, worthy of defending.

They are grown men who get paid to stop the other team. We are not talking about pop warner. They have a clock in football for a reason. You play the entire time.

If somehow the Colts destroy the Pats Sunday you will not hear me complain about Dungy. I will complain about the Pats defense sucking donkey balls.

Actually he graduated from the U. of Nebraska. He's from my hometown of Epworth IA. Not really relevant but when will I ever get the chance to point out an NFL player being from my hometown. :D

You are right.....who is the guy he split the safety with.....I thought one of them were U of I graduates. I might have to go and look. Thanks for the heads up.

You don't know the first thing about me....Please don't make assumptions about what I "probably think".

That would be like me taking this comment you make and claiming that you are one of those people that believe kids soccer games should end with 'everybody winning'. NTTAWWT.

OK, then how do you square what they did up with how children who are growing up trying to display sportsmanship? Do you think it is ok if a Pop Warner game ends 72 - 0. How would you feel for your child if he was on the team who scored 0. That is the lesson here for those kids....or are you going to ignore that issue...as well?

:D Are you trying to say that Olehoffen's (or whatever his name is) taking out Palmer's knee and taking him out of play for the rest of the game and part of the next season wasn't a cheap shot? :D

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say.

OK, then how do you square what they did up with how children who are growing up trying to display sportsmanship? Do you think it is ok if a Pop Warner game ends 72 - 0. How would you feel for your child if he was on the team who scored 0. That is the lesson here for those kids....or are you going to ignore that issue...as well?

What are you talking about? I have no idea what your point is. Is it that NFL teams should conduct themselves at all times with the wellbeing of "the children" in mind?

Are you Hillary Clinton or something?

If I had a child that participated in competitive sport, I would try to teach my child to put out their best effort at all times, and never to sulk or gloat, regardless of the result. You win some, you lose some.

I think you will find yourself alone on that island, sir.

Really?

Link

"I know Kimo. He's not a dirty player," Anderson said of von Oelhoffen, who played for the Bengals from 1994-99 before moving to Pittsburgh for the chance to become a starter. "Guys were infuriated, but your first reaction is to defend your player. It wasn't a dirty play."

They are grown men who get paid to stop the other team. We are not talking about pop warner. They have a clock in football for a reason. You play the entire time.

i don't care how much anyone is getting paid (nor do i really see how that is relevant). if you are playing a game, and the outcome is decided, yet you continue pulling out all the stops purely to pad your own stats, or embarrass the other team, or show everyone else in the league how tough and pissed off you are, well then you are purely and simply a dickhead. and this, by your own admission, is exactly what belichick was doing.

i've yet to see one single post about "those poor redskins, they didn't deserve to have their noses rubbed in it like that." it's not about them, they ARE well-paid grown men, nobody feels very badly for them. but the basic rules of sportsmanship and class don't change based on the size of your jockstrap or your paycheck, and taking notice of someone crapping all over those rules of sportsmanship has nothing to do with taking pity on anyone.

do you have kids? are you going to teach them to approach competition the way belichick does? cheat, and when you get caught cheating, get mad and "show everybody" by being a classless pr!ck? i guess you probably will. most likely, new england is siring a whole generation of belichicks and ugly tunas. great.

What are you talking about? I have no idea what your point is. Is it that NFL teams should conduct themselves at all times with the wellbeing of "the children" in mind?

Are you Hillary Clinton or something?

If I had a child that participated in competitive sport, I would try to teach my child to put out their best effort at all times, and never to sulk or gloat, regardless of the result. You win some, you lose some.

My point is obviously to simple for your mind. It is called sportsmanship. If the coach of my son's junior football league were to ever let the team keep throwing or handing off to the best player and run the score up 70 - 0, I would pull my son from the squad. That is not how you teach youth sportsmanship. Now, as fans of NFL football....these kids will watch the games just like you and I. I watch most games with my son. He pays attention. He asked why a coach would ALLOW his team to score so many points....especially when he saw NE went for it on 4th and 2 up 42 points. Maybe, the point is lost on you because you don't have kids....or aren't responsible for molding the competitive mind to be fierce...but also fair. When someone is beat, they are beat....that is why the created TKO's in boxing...