[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question on "Running up he score"

Caveman_Nick

All this talk about running up the score has me wondering....

What is a "safe lead" that either team will have to have next week past which they will be accused of running up the score?

Both teams have shown, NE in this season and Indy for years, that they can score from anywhere on the feild in a very small amount of time. So what's an acceptable margin of victory for this game? How many points can we expect that neither team can crest in a quarter or so of play? Is 40 points enough/too much of a cushion?

I don't honestly think the game will get that out of hand for either team, I just wonder what people will view as an 'acceptable beatdown' if it comes to that, versus an 'overdone, classless beatdown'?

All this talk about running up the score has me wondering....

What is a "safe lead" that either team will have to have next week past which they will be accused of running up the score?

Both teams have shown, NE in this season and Indy for years, that they can score from anywhere on the feild in a very small amount of time. So what's an acceptable margin of victory for this game? How many points can we expect that neither team can crest in a quarter or so of play? Is 40 points enough/too much of a cushion?

I don't honestly think the game will get that out of hand for either team, I just wonder what people will view as an 'acceptable beatdown' if it comes to that, versus an 'overdone, classless beatdown'?

you dont have to score a ton of points to give an acceptable beatdown...just look to how the ravens play football

Avoids the question.

no just wanted to toss that out there...the answer to your question lies in how the game actually has developed....i dont think there is an exact formula to figure it out but there comes a time in a game when you know you have your opponent by the balls...once you have them by the balls you can probably give 'em a good squeeze but then if you stretch 'em out put 'em in a vice and then twist the handle and then start jumping up and down on the handle well at that point you are probably running up the score

I think that you have to take a number of things into question and it sort of has to do with the teams in question. I think that 35 pts. with one quarter to go is pretty much time to start milking the clock and start getting your subs some reps. Fair enough that Houston showed last week that 4 TDs is not a safe enough lead. Then again, Tennessee is not nearly as good a team as NE.

Honestly, there are plenty of arguments to justify how NE played the last 1.5 quarters, but the "no lead is safe" one is likely the weakest of the bunch. This is a dominant team playing on all cylinders, so a 38 pt collapse would be next to impossible. I would stick to either the fact that the last Brady drive did take time off the clock or the bit about the fans not paying to see 2nd stringers.

In this game, if the Colts go up 10+, they will bleed the clock as much as possible.

Pats will be playing petal to metal all day long with the one caveat being the colts are more beatable on the ground then through the air - could be a good day for Maroney finally.

I'm amazed the line is only 4.5 - would have through 6.5/7 easy.

no just wanted to toss that out there...the answer to your question lies in how the game actually has developed....i dont think there is an exact formula to figure it out but there comes a time in a game when you know you have your opponent by the balls...once you have them by the balls you can probably give 'em a good squeeze but then if you stretch 'em out put 'em in a vice and then twist the handle and then start jumping up and down on the handle well at that point you are probably running up the score

Fair enough.....but I'm looking for a number. These are the Colts, who IMO are easily capable of putting up 35+ points in a quarter. In any game. Your scenario doesn't apply to this game unless the scoring disparity is large.

Highly subjective, but given that a team's D has shut down an opponent's O all game long, 4 TDs in the 4th quarter ought to be sufficient cushion to start running the ball every play.

If the other team has put up some points (at least 2 TDs) but their D has surrendered a ton, I'd stretch that to 5 TDs.

Fair enough.....but I'm looking for a number. These are the Colts, who IMO are easily capable of putting up 35+ points in a quarter. In any game. Your scenario doesn't apply to this game unless the scoring disparity is large.

so hypothetically if the colts were winning 49-14 with 12 minutes to go in the 4th quarter Pats fans wont cry if manning throws 50 yard bomb for a TD :D not saying i expect that but just curious :D

Honestly, there are plenty of arguments to justify how NE played the last 1.5 quarters, but the "no lead is safe" one is likely the weakest of the bunch. This is a dominant team playing on all cylinders, so a 38 pt collapse would be next to impossible. I would stick to either the fact that the last Brady drive did take time off the clock or the bit about the fans not paying to see 2nd stringers.

I am not saying no lead is safe....and this thread is not about the Washington game. If you want to talk about that game, there are a few other interesting threads happening.

This is about the Colts versus the Pats, and at what point will the game be out of hand. And yes, I do think that no matter what the game has looked like up until the 4th quarter, there is still a chance that either of these great teams would turn on a dime and surge back into a blowout game.

I do not think a 35 point lead is safe against either offense. But that's just me.

so hypothetically if the colts were winning 49-14 with 12 minutes to go in the 4th quarter Pats fans wont cry if manning throws 50 yard bomb for a TD :D not saying i expect that but just curious :D

I can't speak for "Pats Fans", but I can speak for me. You won't ever hear me crying about running up the score.

So, hypothetically, are you going to aswer the question? :wacko:

I am not saying no lead is safe....and this thread is not about the Washington game. If you want to talk about that game, there are a few other interesting threads happening.

This is about the Colts versus the Pats, and at what point will the game be out of hand. And yes, I do think that no matter what the game has looked like up until the 4th quarter, there is still a chance that either of these great teams would turn on a dime and surge back into a blowout game.

I do not think a 35 point lead is safe against either offense. But that's just me.

With regard to those teams, especially with the recent history, I wouldn't expect either to lay off until a comeback is statistically impossible. 30 + points with less than 5 minutes to play. Maybe not that bad, but something like that.

You see that 'fake grounding' Brady threows a TD?, I think it was the second time I saw that this year ny Brady.

I think NE goes un-defeated and wins all games by 20+ this year. Washington is not great but they are OK and have a good defense.

I think the Pats are like the US basketball "Dream Team" that had Jordan, Barkley etc.. and if the don't winn every game I'll be surprised.

I've watched a lot of football and have never seen anything like this.

Edited by rai

Indy could be leading 70-0 with 10 seconds in the 4th and throw a bomb and you wouldn't hear a peep outta me. The D needs to stop them if they don't like being scored on.

And trust me, I was a Pat's fan during the 1-15 year, I saw beat-downs. Lost 42-7 and 41-7 that year. It's part of the game.

31 second half points.

ok, 32 points is your number then. :D

seriously though, i'm curious, since it's obvious what you're really trying to do here is defend belichick's total lack of class and sportsmanship yesterday....has ANY team EVER in the history of professional football come back from a 6 TD deficit with 11 minutes left in the game? i am willing to bet the answer is no, not even close.

so whereever that "line" lies, i am pretty sure a 6 TD lead with 11 minutes left is on the other side of it.

Edited by Azazello1313

ok, 32 points is your number then. :D

seriously though, i'm curious, since it's obvious what you're really trying to do here is defend belichick's total lack of class and sportsmanship yesterday....has ANY team EVER in the history of professional football come back from a 6 TD deficit with 11 minutes left in the game? i am willing to bet the answer is no, not even close.

so whereever that "line" lies, i am pretty sure a 6 TD lead with 11 minutes left is on the other side of it.

Sorry, wrong again.

I am talking about the Colts Patriots game. I am wondering where people really feel "the line" is, because if there were ever teams that could come back from large deficits, these two are among them.

I have said before and will again, I don't believe in "running up the score". I am just curious where people will draw the line for and offense like one of these. Although I doubt anyone crying about running up scores will do so if the Colts win by 50 points...

If you are up by 45 points in the 4th quarter and have your starters in there and continue to pass, I would put 11 defenders on the line and blitz on every single play and try to kill the quaterback. I might even whisper to my defenders that if they took a late hit I wouldn't be too mad.

Sorry, wrong again.

I am talking about the Colts Patriots game. I am wondering where people really feel "the line" is, because if there were ever teams that could come back from large deficits, these two are among them.

I have said before and will again, I don't believe in "running up the score". I am just curious where people will draw the line for and offense like one of these. Although I doubt anyone crying about running up scores will do so if the Colts win by 50 points...

You're making the mistake of equating running up the score with scoring a lot of points. If the Colts, particularly Manning, keep throwing the ball up by 40 with 1 quarter to play, I'll think it's pretty classless as well. If Manning runs a QB sneak on 4th down up by 40 in the 4th, I'll think it's classless and stupid.

If you are up by 45 points in the 4th quarter and have your starters in there and continue to pass, I would put 11 defenders on the line and blitz on every single play and try to kill the quaterback. I might even whisper to my defenders that if they took a late hit I wouldn't be too mad.

I have a funny feeling that this will happen soon enough. We shall see :D

You see that 'fake grounding' Brady threows a TD?, I think it was the second time I saw that this year ny Brady.

I think NE goes un-defeated and wins all games by 20+ this year. Washington is not great but they are OK and have a good defense.

I think the Pats are like the US basketball "Dream Team" that had Jordan, Barkley etc.. and if the don't winn every game I'll be surprised.

I've watched a lot of football and have never seen anything like this.

Thats because most teams have respect.