[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most over-hyped regular season game ever?

MTSuper7

The Pats-Colts game has been hyped for the last few weeks as "Super Bowl 41.5", and it got me wondering if any other regular season NFL game has ever been as over-hyped as this one. I remember a lot of hype surrounding Marino's Dolphins hosting the undefeated Chicago Bears on a Monday night in December of 1985, but I don't know that the hype started multiple weeks before that game. Can anyone think of a regular season NFL game that might compare to the hype that the Pats and Colts have been getting this season?

I remember in 1990 that the Giants and 49ers were going to meet in I believe Week 13, both 11-0 (they both had their byes)...but then they both lost the week before, so it was a matchup on MNF between 10-1 teams...there was alot of hype a few weeks before that game, but probably died down a little since neither was actually undefeated...I am sure ABC wasnt too happy about that...

But you really cant compare games from the 80's and early 90's in terms of pregame hype IMO....internet and there are a lot more football preview shows out there today than there were 15-20 years ago...

If you think this game is overhyped, you're nuts.

+1 The implications of this game are huge.

The pundits can have all that Brady v. Manning, Dungy's defense vs the best offense in the history of the game etc etc... to me this game will basically decide who has home field advantage for the REAL Super Bowl aka the AFC Championship.

Edited by kingfish247

As something of an aside, the team that loses will still be in the running for Home Field Advantage; barring an additional loss by the losing team the Pats and the Colts could be scrapping all the way through the end of the season. With any luck Manning and Brady owners will have their stud QBs on the field through their Fantasy Playoffs. Heck, with the way the Packers, Giants, and Cowboys are playing, a similar scenario could come to pass in the NFC as well.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

49'rs / Cowboys around 1993 when both were 11-0 I believe, maybe not over hyped but the most anticipated regular season game I can recall. This is pretty close but not quite there.

but this is the first time in history two 7-0 or greater teams have faced off, so I believe that game you're talking about had a loss or two before, right?

The Pats-Colts game has been hyped for the last few weeks as "Super Bowl 41.5", and it got me wondering if any other regular season NFL game has ever been as over-hyped as this one.
No.

I got sick of the hype before they even both went 7-0 and I'm a Colts fan. OK it's a big showdown, 2 great teams, blah etc - we GET it already. This is SB-level bad.

I'm looking forward to this game, it definitely has huge implications but I agree with the over-hyped opinion. Not that the game doesn't matter or anything but I think people have this feeling that they're about to watch the most amazing, incredible game that re-defines the sport.

Unfortunately, it probably will just be a game. I'd love if it were a huge event that went down to the last second for and incredile 62 yard Adam Vinatieri field goal to seal the Colts' victory of 51-48. Or if its 4th and goal on the 35 and Tom Brady makes a break for it and gets hit on the 7 but manages to pitch it back to Maroney who dives in for the game-winning touchdown. But more than likely it will be a regular game that ends 21-24 with a few good plays and a lot fo annoying announcers talking about which QB is better.

Last year's AFC match-ups in the playoffs, both the SD/Pats and Indy/Pats games lived up to the hype and were some of the most entertaining, nail biting games of football I can remember seeing.

I think this game will be just as entertaining, even if it is not as close in score.

Last year's AFC match-ups in the playoffs, both the SD/Pats and Indy/Pats games lived up to the hype and were some of the most entertaining, nail biting games of football I can remember seeing.

+1

I recall some of the "Montana vs. Fouts" games from the early '80s being hyped pretty excessively (for back then).

I think this game will be just as entertaining, even if it is not as close in score.

+1. that last Indy/Pats game was off the chain, i forgot about that..

If you think this game is overhyped, you're nuts.

Then call me crazy...

Folks, this is a week 9 regular season NFL game. I understand both teams are undefeated, and I understand that they have been rivals for a few years now. Add to that the incredible pace the Pats offense is on, begging the question "Can anyone stop the Patriots"? Maybe the defending champs?

However, It's week 9. It's not Super Bowl 41.5 (or whatever the media wants to call it). I hope it is a good, close game that is entertaining to watch. But in the end, despite what the media might want us to believe, the season will go on after this weekend.

Then call me crazy...

Folks, this is a week 9 regular season NFL game. I understand both teams are undefeated, and I understand that they have been rivals for a few years now. Add to that the incredible pace the Pats offense is on, begging the question "Can anyone stop the Patriots"? Maybe the defending champs?

However, It's week 9. It's not Super Bowl 41.5 (or whatever the media wants to call it). I hope it is a good, close game that is entertaining to watch. But in the end, despite what the media might want us to believe, the season will go on after this weekend.

so what? so the season will go on. That doesn't mean that this game isn't going to be a great game. They're not calling it SuperBowl 41.5 because of any other reason than they are the 2 best teams in the NFL, and they can't play each other in the SuperBowl. Forget the playoff implications, forget the rivalry, and forget that the colts are the champs. This game is STILL not over hyped. It's a perfect setup, and we're lucky to see it this year. Some years never see a game of this caliber, until the playoffs.

This is only week 9? I say YAY! We got a great game, (probably a pre-screen of the AFC Championship game) and there's still 8 more weeks to play? HOORAY! :D

Cheer up.

this game means 1 stat in either the win or loss column. This isnt college, where a loss sets you back in the polls. There is an actual playoff in the NFL, and teams get to settle it on the field. I think Indy needs this game more, as they will have a harder time in January playing on the road, than NE playing indoors.

so what? so the season will go on. That doesn't mean that this game isn't going to be a great game. They're not calling it SuperBowl 41.5 because of any other reason than they are the 2 best teams in the NFL, and they can't play each other in the SuperBowl. Forget the playoff implications, forget the rivalry, and forget that the colts are the champs. This game is STILL not over hyped. It's a perfect setup, and we're lucky to see it this year. Some years never see a game of this caliber, until the playoffs.

This is only week 9? I say YAY! We got a great game, (probably a pre-screen of the AFC Championship game) and there's still 8 more weeks to play? HOORAY! :D

Cheer up.

+1

Great weekend of football.

Colts Vs Pats

Sunday night Dallas Vs Eagles

Monday night Pitt Vs Baltimore

not overhyped. that is the final answer.

this is bigger than you could possibly imagine.

What exactly hangs in the balance from the outcome of this game? If New England wins, will the skies turn black because Evil has defeated Good? Give me a break. What hangs in the balance is one team still having a long shot at a perfect record and one team with one loss and a high probability of a first round bye anyway.

It's not like anyone's season will be over if they lose here. Granted, the Colts need this game more than the Pats because the Pats already have a 6 game lead on the garbage teams in their division. The Colts don't have that luxury.