[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My husband's latest craze

Scooby

From Donruss Threads to Absolute Memorabilia, the sheer # of his cards rivals that of Imelda Marcos' shoes, and they're piling up in the upstairs spare bedroom....much to my chagrin...Some are good, where the player actually signed the card--mostly E-Bay purchased cards, but the other "autographed" cards have a clear sticker that the player signed, and the manufacturer just stuck it on the card after the fact.....which to me is a cop-out. Am I being a Bitty, or is the market lucrative for this kinda merchandise?

oh, and I only know of these "Brand-names" because he's constantly asking me to help him open the next package of cards that just arrived in the mail....he's even got his brother and best bud in on the action....I'm surrounded by shopaholics!!!

You should send him out for a guys weekend, and while he's gone have some friends hide them in the attic or something.

When he comes home, tell him you cleaned some stuff out while he was gone. :D

Good idea CD!!! He should be golfing this weekend while I'm at home entertaining big sister

You should send him out for a guys weekend, and while he's gone have some friends hide them in the attic or something.

When he comes home, tell him you cleaned some stuff out while he was gone. :D

I had a bunch of comics when I was 16 or 17 and had two big boxes full that I shoved in the closet. Went away for a few days only to come back and see my closet (and room) had been tidied up and the two boxes were gone. My mom said she cleaned up my room while I was out and threw away the "garbage".Unfortunately, she wasn't kidding. :D

I briefly got caught up in that years ago. I was in college and some friends of mine were into it. I was looking at their Beckett's Guide and noticed some of the cards I'd collected as a kid might be worth something. Technically, they were/are. Next time I was home, I went through the old boxes and culled out the good ones, putting the good ones in plastic. Trouble is, I got sucked in and started buying up current cards. Like your husbands, they started stacking up all over the place. Unlike your husband, I was like 20 years old and trying to bring home dates from time to time. Nothing says "ladies man" like stacks of Topps Football cards. At any rate, that passed rather quickly. Good thing, actually, because this all went down during a big popularity explosion and many of the cards I was buying were being over-produced by soon to be defunct card companies. Not long ago, I pulled them all out of the attic to check if I had anything good. Of course, the really old ones from my childhood were worth something, but all the ones I bought in the late 80s were worth next to nothing.

That's cool. I still have two Joe Montana rookie cards safely protected in hard plastic covers. They're basically in mint condition because, even though I was a Niner fan, they were god-awful when that card came out and he was Steve DeBerg's back up anyway. Needless to say, those cards got filed away right awayas the ones we really were interested were the guys who were good back then, like Steve Bartkowski, etc.

Oh, I added up his spending on all this stuff...almost $2600!!! Needless to say, I've nipped this in the bud. I mean, I could really use a new China cabinet because the house we recently bought doesn't have the built-ins like our old place for displaying China and other womanly knick knacks!!!

Oh, I added up his spending on all this stuff...almost $2600!!! Needless to say, I've nipped this in the bud. I mean, I could really use a new China cabinet because the house we recently bought doesn't have the built-ins like our old place for displaying China and other womanly knick knacks!!!

Can't you use it to display football memorabilia? :D

I wouldn't worry about it to much scoob. When I was 24 or so, I really got into Baseball cards. You see it's like an adrenlin rush to open packs and find good cards. Kind of like digging for gold. You have to go through a lot of dirt to find a few gems. I loved the excitement of getting a new pack or box and opening them up seeing what's there. He is probably going through what I went through for a while. The thing about it is that you see value in the cards at the time but soon realize that the card companies make so many of the darn things they look like value now, but they keep trumping the value with a new card which sucks the old ones value. Funny thing, the only cards that are worth collecting are RARE cards period and you won't find rare cards in packs or boxes. He will collect a few future gems though as he is collecting current stars and future HOF players of this decade. Future is 20 to 30 years from now though. It is kind of cool though for someone in the family to have a collection that can be passed down to childrens, children. Imagine the rare moments your daughter may have if she has her dads collection with a bunch of Romo (if he is what I think he is) cards in mint condition, going through them with her 15 year old son. Makes for good times so don't be to hard on him. I wish my dad had a collection of something that I could go though with my son now. It would be cool.

Unless your going short on groceries as a result of card purchases let him be and go with it. He will love you for it because it is exciting right now and if he gets a good collection him and his son or daughter can go through them some time when they are teenagers and have a fun time doing it. He won't make a huge capital gain on them but they are not a complete waste of money so long as he collects some good rare cards to hold.

Sorting and organizing them is half the fun, it can be like a jigsaw puzzle. Try it you may find that you can have some intimate time with him while sorting and a little fun at the same time. The obsession part doesn't last to long from my experience.

Sorry, but unless dude is bringing in tons of money, that chits just gotta stop. The only way to rationalize it is if you also have some insane habit that racks up similar money, then you both have to stop. Now, I'm not saying that all that money should be salted away in a ROTH or something (but that wouldn't hurt) but life's too short for a grown, married man to be dropping that kind of jack on little paper cards with pictures on them. We all need a release and a hobby, but it wouldn't kill you guys to take that money and go somewhere cool and create memories that you will always look back on.

It's enough that we devote as much time as we do to hyper-analyze other people playing a game and then spend all day Sunday watching it at the expense of playing our own games or creating something, but trading cards are for kids. Plain and simple.

If he tells you it's an investment, he's full of it. If he wants to invest, check out the thread in the Tailgate about emerging markets. Fetish properties are not investments.

I haven't read all the posts, but here's my initial take:

The quantity of different cards out there dilute the value of any one of them. Autographed cards are certainly worth more and there are some cards out there that certainly can be worth some change, but they're fewer and farther between.

But a little story I can share - I collected cards as a kid and when I moved out of my parent's house, some of my cards were left behind loose in a cardboard box. About 5yrs later my mom called my attention to the fact that I had a box of old sports cards in their attic. Curious, I went through them and saw that there was a Wayne Gretzky rookie card still in excellent shape after havng sat loose in a box in my parent's attic for about 5 yrs.

I took it to a collectibles store and while the proprietor of the store wasn't a buyer, there was a guy that overheard me discussing it, took a look at the card, and offered to buy it for $400. So I followed him to the bank, and he gave me four crisp hundies.

So there can be value for sure, but 1) that value, as I mentioned, is being diluted by the sheer quantity of competing cards, and 2) the value in any event is not an immediate value, but more of an investment for down the road - more likely for your kids.

Edited by Cunning Runt