[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish Question: What would YOU do?

Arianimal

Keg ... I get where you are coming from as I am a very stringent proponent of commissioners staying out of trades.

In addition I understand the implicaitons of trades in keeper leagues.

The biggest problem I have with the whole thing is that an owner is throwing away an entire season in the future (surely you don't believe a competitive team can be built after sitting out the first four rounds?). Even if the owner pre-pays and returns next year it is almost a given that this particular owner will not be interested and will be uncompetitive.

in the end it is his money and his right...also yeah i do think he could build a competitive team from round 5 on....especially if they dont have deep rosters and their WW isnt bare....will it be easy? NO...maybe its a challenge the guy wants to try....or maybe he is willing to forsake next yr so he can win some money this yr...in the end the reason doesnt really matter

Edited by keggerz

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Put in a rule that you can't trade for future draft picks. I'd assume that Tomlinson and Addai are unkeepable. The rules of each player should follow along to the new owner? :D

I agree with Bronco that this may not be the best solution. Or even not a solution.

Lots of great ideas here. As far as this particular trade goes, one of our rules is that I have the ability to veto trades outright if they are blantantly lopsided or collusion. On more questionable trades (such as this one), I reserve the right to put them to a league vote, in which case the trade is allowed and processed unless there is a majority vote to veto. Ultimately, this particular trade looks to be vetoed.

But again, the league is only in its second season, so everyone has an understanding that the kinks in the rules are constantly being worked out. I like the one player for one draft pick rule. Although this won't eliminate forms of firesales altogether, it will at least limit the detriment to the league competition year to year. The only problem then is that the Addai/LT owner would just throw in two scrubs to get his two extra draft picks...

Sounds like your league has the power to control deals if the majority of the league can shoot down a trade they don't like. Make sure everyone is aware of the deal and give them the chance to voice their opinions on it.

1) Neither Addai nor LT have any 'keeper' value for next season.

2) The team giving up LT/Addai would give up his last four picks of the drafts.

3) It is not mandatory to designate keepers.

And yeah..the payment thing was a must. I can't stand the idea of reducing such a fun, competitive league of friends to just a contest for prize moneys. Matter of fact, this particular trade was accompanied by this message, 'This trade will GUARANTEE you a spot in the playoffs. Think about it, $300 now is worth $300 two years from now.'

F that. I just need to think of a fair way to fix it.

That being said, I don't see how you can get involved. Did the NFL stop the Chargers from acquiring Chambers because it makes the Chargers better now and improves the draft of the Fish for the future? If they pay up front, there is still no way of knowing if the guy uses his picks properly to build a monster team. What if (God forbid) LT gets hurt this week and his season is over?

Unless you can prove that these guys will be splittting this or future winnings, there is no collusion. One guy is selling his future and the other guy is selling his present, and neither have an absolute guaretee that it will end up in a championship!

My humble :D

Some ideas on rules that help "discourage" this behavior.

1. Have a charge per loss - I have seen some charge a flat fee, other charge a fee per point of the loss. Not my favorite thing, but it certainly encourages teams to always try and score the most possible points each week.

2. Allow owner to keep any player they want, but you could sya that it costs x number of orunds above where the player was drafted the year before. So, for example if you drafted MBIII in the 7th this year, he would cost say a 5th next year, then a 3rd the following year, than a first the third year then he would not be able to be kept the 4th year if the rule were two years above where they were drafted. This keeps an influx of talent in the draft pool and adds an extra layer of strategy to trades (due to limited keeper time frame) and rewards the savvy drafters that find late round value. Also, if an owner does not have a pick in the round a player is to be kept, they must give up a higher round pick or not keep the player, ie, using the above example, to keep MBIII in his third season would cost a 3rd rounder, but if the owner has traded his 3rd rounder, he has to give up his 2nd rounder to keep him, and so on.

3. As this is a keeper league, I am assuming the draft is at least partially NFL style. I would run a lottery for the teams outof the playoffs to determine their draft order, rather than go straight on record, or, better yet, I prefer to set up a "toilet bowl" playoff bracket where the winner gets the prize of the #1 overall pick the next season. This helps lessen the benefit of selling the now for the future as there is something important for the future at stake in the current season.

Just a few thoughts offthe top of my head that still allow owners to play and trade within the structure of a keeper league but to maintain incentive to play for the now every week.