[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gates gives Brewster some Props

MikesVikes

Gates gives Brewster credit for technique

By Mark Craig, Star Tribune

SAN DIEGO -- Gophers football coach Tim Brewster was the Chargers' tight ends coach when Antonio Gates showed up for the first time at the team's headquarters on Murphy Canyon Road in San Diego.

"Most guys, when they get to the NFL, they have the basics on how to play the position," Gates said. "I didn't have a clue."

It was 2003. Gates hadn't put on shoulder pads since his senior year at Central High School in Detroit. But he was a great athlete, having led Kent State to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Division I men's basketball tournament.

Gates wasn't an NBA prospect. So he listened to those who told him his speed, skills and 6-4, 260-pound frame made him a potential NFL tight end.

"I figured, 'Why not?'" said Gates, who signed with the Chargers as an undrafted free agent. "And while I didn't know anything, I also didn't have any bad habits that the coaches had to fix. That's where Tim came in and really helped me learn the techniques of the position. Your first position coach is always going to be special, and Tim did a lot for my career."

While Brewster deserves credit for Gates' technique, a much higher being gets the nod for the rare gift that makes him one of the NFL's most feared offensive weapons. Gates has been a Pro Bowl starter, a consensus All-Pro and an all-around pain in the neck for defensive coordinators the past three-plus seasons.

Just what is the job description of a position coach to make the first time so special? :D