[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioner Question

satelliteoflovegm

I am the commissioner...I have been offered a very minor trade kicker for kicker with no bye week issues. (He likes the Steelers he said)

Jeff Reed for Shayne Graham a fair deal but to me unnessasary. The trade fee is small, $2, I said I don't need a different kicker and don't want to pay $2 which adds up over the season.

He said he'd pay my $2. We obviously aren't engineering some great scam on the league.

But where is the line, slippery slope and all that. My gut says it is wrong in principle. If $2 is okay is $10 okay to sway a guy to make a still fair deal? I don't think it is and I need to be above reproach as a long time commish. Am I being to picky in this case?

Go with Graham, he is consistent~9 to 10 points per game. Reed is up and down, high teens to low single digits. Not going to make or break you and it's at no cost to you. The way Cinncy has been playing the end zone isn't in their sites and there are more FGs, Pitt has found their offense, so there will be more XPs instead of FGs.

I feel for you on this one..Although its minor sometimes as commish you over analyze things and feel guilty if something is the slightest bit off color and you are involved in it..I would either make the trade and pay the 2 bucks if I were you or dont make it at all..Dont let him pay it..Its minor but it will grate on you..

I feel for you on this one..Although its minor sometimes as commish you over analyze things and feel guilty if something is the slightest bit off color and you are involved in it..I would either make the trade and pay the 2 bucks if I were you or dont make it at all..Dont let him pay it..Its minor but it will grate on you..

+1.

No doubt in my mind that this is as slippery a slope as I can conceive. Money will clearly be involved, commish is involved. Oh yeah, but it's only two bucks............The amount doesn't matter. Might as well be $20 or $50. Can't do it, if you want to maintain the integrity of the league.

I think the fact that you asked this question reveals what you think you should do too.

The Grey Pilgrim

I am the commissioner...I have been offered a very minor trade kicker for kicker with no bye week issues. (He likes the Steelers he said)

Jeff Reed for Shayne Graham a fair deal but to me unnessasary. The trade fee is small, $2, I said I don't need a different kicker and don't want to pay $2 which adds up over the season.

He said he'd pay my $2. We obviously aren't engineering some great scam on the league.

But where is the line, slippery slope and all that. My gut says it is wrong in principle. If $2 is okay is $10 okay to sway a guy to make a still fair deal? I don't think it is and I need to be above reproach as a long time commish. Am I being to picky in this case?

:D It's $2!!

:D It's $2!!

I think the amount is irrelavent...it is the principle. What if it was 3, 5, 10 $100? Where is the line? I included the amount to show it wasn't a factor.

I call bullsh-it on the slippery slope.

The real question is if it's a fair trade.

If it is and he wants to pay, then let him. Seems like a pretty simple choice to me.

If there's even the hint that it may not be fair, that's a different question entirely.

I call bullsh-it on the slippery slope.

The real question is if it's a fair trade.

If it is and he wants to pay, then let him. Seems like a pretty simple choice to me.

If there's even the hint that it may not be fair, that's a different question entirely.

Setting a precedent is dangerous though... This innocent kicker-for-kicker trade might seem harmless, but there is way too much subjectivity involved with deciding what constitutes a fair trade. I don't think you open the door for this sort of option at all.

Setting a precedent is dangerous though... This innocent kicker-for-kicker trade might seem harmless, but there is way too much subjectivity involved with deciding what constitutes a fair trade. I don't think you open the door for this sort of option at all.

I hear you, but as a commish myself, I know what in my mind is a fair trade, and in my mind, if it's fair, that's all I need to know. If the yay-hoo wants to pay whatever fee there may be, go for it.

I hear you, but as a commish myself, I know what in my mind is a fair trade, and in my mind, if it's fair, that's all I need to know. If the yay-hoo wants to pay whatever fee there may be, go for it.

Some people may see the offer of payment as an incentive to making the trade..Thats where things can get hairy..

I realize its 2 bucks but its the principle

Edited by whomper

Some people may see the offer of payment as an incentive to making the trade..Thats where things can get hairy..

As long as the financial aspect of the transaction does not exceed the transction fees I do not see the problem. What is the "principle" that is being violated. The transaction fee goes into the kitty and is paid out along with any other transaction fees.

Edited by Grits and Shins

I think the principle is that if there were two seperate but equal deals offered I would accept the one where the fees were covered. It seems an unfair advantage for one guy, who may be more well off financially, getting the guy.

However in the same scenario without the money, I would trade with my friend verses an acquaintance. So things aren't always equal.

I'm not going to do it...

Someone who had to scrape together their entry fee should not be disadvantaged over a more well off guy. In this case the guy would owe $4 (his fee and mine). Many leagues I seen it could be $10 or even $20 with both fees. It could get pricey.

If two guys agreed to it and I didn't know about it, fine. But the commissioner shouldn't be afforded that luxury right or wrong. A commish has other things that work in their favor and other things that don't.

Edited by satelliteoflovegm

As long as the financial aspect of the transaction does not exceed the transction fees I do not see the problem. What is the "principle" that is being violated. The transaction fee goes into the kitty and is paid out along with any other transaction fees.

Today its 2 dollars for a meaningless kicker trade..Tomorrow its a trade that is borderline unfair and Ill pay your next 10 transactions

Today its 2 dollars for a meaningless kicker trade..Tomorrow its a trade that is borderline unfair and Ill pay your next 10 transactions

+1

I would not do it either. You always have that one guy who will bring it to the next level and as commish you do not want to have to deal with that.

No ... the deal was that one owner would pay the associated transaction fees for both owners for the trade on the table ... NOT additional payments. I see no "violation of principle" and no "slippery slope". A fair and equitable trade was agreed to and as part of the deal one owner is shouldering the entire financial burden of the transaction. No harm, no foul.

This is so simple.

As a commish, you accepted a different standard of conduct than anyone else in the league. Anything that you do has to be above reproach.

You either make the trade & pay the $2 yourself, or you don't make the trade. You don't invite even the appearance of impropriety, even in a matter this insignificant.

Ok, ok, ya got me.

Although... if the incentive to make a deal is that someone covered transaction fees, maybe someone else should offer me more, you know, as incentive. :D

Just kidding, just kidding.....

No ... the deal was that one owner would pay the associated transaction fees for both owners for the trade on the table ... NOT additional payments. I see no "violation of principle" and no "slippery slope". A fair and equitable trade was agreed to and as part of the deal one owner is shouldering the entire financial burden of the transaction. No harm, no foul.

Someone down the line may look to pay someone more then 2 dollars and if that causes a stink and goes to the commish and it was the commish that accepted the 2 dollar payment that got the ball rolling he wont have a leg to stand on in refusing to let another team do it..

Edited by whomper

Someone down the line may look to pay someone more then 2 dollars and if that causes a stink and goes to the commish and it was the commish that accepted the 2 dollar payment that got the ball rolling he wont have a leg to stand on in refusing to let another team do it..

He will most certainly have a leg to stand on. In the previous trade (where the precedent was set) one owner paid all the transaction fees associated with the trade. That is NOT the same as one owner paying another owner money over and above the transaction fees associated with a trade. There is no slippery slope here.

Owner A and B agree to a trade

Owner A owes $X for his part of the trade

Owner B owes $Y for his part of the trade

Owner A agrees to give up player C and pay both $X and $Y

Owner B agrees to give up player D

All the money goes into the kitty and Owner B does NOT recieve a financial payment.