[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Missed" Field Goal vs "Blocked" Field Goal

Dbaxx

Just out of curiosity if any of you fellow commishes/huddlers have had any issues about Antonio Cromartie's 109 yard "Missed Field Goal" returned for a TD?

The guy who owns the Chargers Def/Special Teams emailed me that he thinks he should get points for that, even though our scoring rules for Def/Special Teams are as follows (through MFL and backed up by NFL.com):

Length of Blocked Field Goal TD 0-9 6 Test

Length of Blocked Field Goal TD 10-39 9 Test

Length of Blocked Field Goal TD 40-110 12 Test

I can see his point, but our rules state "blocked"....

Hope I don't open a can of worms, but does anybody see it different?

MFL gives you the ability to set up your defensive scoring rules however you want in terms of handling "missed" FG returns vs. "blocked" FG returns ... if you chose not to treat them the same (there is a setting that does this) but rather to set individual scoring rules for returns on "blocked" vs. "missed" FGs, you may have a gap in your official scoring.

IMO, it should not matter, blocked FG return vs. missed FG return ... but, it seems that your MFL setup may not formally cover the "missed" FG scenario.

Edited by ts

How many points do you award a regular defensive/punt return for td? I think that's what your league mate should get. The rule states that a "blocked" FG gets those particular points. But the FG wasn't blocked, he just missed it. You would have to treat it like it was either an int returned for td (without the int points of course) or a punt returned for td.

Good info ts---We did a pre-packaged performance scoring setup by MFL and I didn't really think of that. It doesn't happen that often so I didn't think to look at that...

MFL gives you the ability to set up your defensive scoring rules however you want in terms of handling "missed" FG returns vs. "blocked" FG returns ... if you chose not to treat them the same (there is a setting that does this) but rather to set individual scoring rules for returns on "blocked" vs. "missed" FGs, you may have a gap in your official scoring.

IMO, it should not matter, blocked FG return vs. missed FG return ... but, it seems that your MFL setup may not formally cover the "missed" FG scenario.

Is that something new for MFL this year? Last year they counted Hesters similar return as a blocked FG return for td in my league. So far, they are not acknowledging this as a Special Teams TD. Rules are the same from one year to the next...

Edited by BillyBalata

Defensive scoring package:

Rules for Def (Edit) Event Range (Low-High) Points Test?

Length of Punt Return TD 0-9 6 Test

Length of Punt Return TD 10-39 9 Test

Length of Punt Return TD 40-110 12 Test

Length of Kickoff Return TD 0-9 6 Test

Length of Kickoff Return TD 10-39 9 Test

Length of Kickoff Return TD 40-110 12 Test

Length of Defensive Fumble Recovery TD 0-9 6 Test

Length of Defensive Fumble Recovery TD 10-39 9 Test

Length of Defensive Fumble Recovery TD 40-110 12 Test

Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent) 0-10 2 points each Test

Length of Interception Return TD 0-9 6 Test

Length of Interception Return TD 10-39 9 Test

Length of Interception Return TD 40-110 12 Test

Interceptions Caught 0-10 2 points each Test

Length of Blocked Field Goal TD 0-9 6 Test

Length of Blocked Field Goal TD 10-39 9 Test

Length of Blocked Field Goal TD 40-110 12 Test

Length of Blocked Punt TD 0-9 6 Test

Length of Blocked Punt TD 10-39 9 Test

Length of Blocked Punt TD 40-110 12 Test

Sacked a QB 0-20 1 point each Test

Safeties 1-99 4 points each Test

Total Points Allowed 0-0 12 Test

Total Points Allowed 2-9 6 Test

Is that something new for MFL this year? Last year they counted Hesters similar return as a blocked FG return for td in my league. So far, they are not acknowledging this as a Special Teams TD. Rules are the same from one year to the next...

In my local league, it did not show as a DF/ST score until maybe 6:30pm ET, but it is being scored that way now ... and we've not changed the DF/ST scoring in that league in at least 3 years, below is the verbiage from MFL on how our league's DF/ST TD's are handled:

"This is the number of Defensive and Special Teams TDs scored. It includes Interception Return TDs, Opponent Fumble Recovery TDs, Blocked Punt TDs, Blocked FG TDs, Punt Return TDs, Kickoff Return TDs, and Missed FG Return TDs."

...you can choose the setting above under scoring for DF/ST, choose the "Number of Defensive & Special Teams TDs" option to define this particular rule.

Edited by ts

In my local league, it did not show as a DF/ST score until maybe 6:30pm ET, but it is being scored that way now ... and we've not changed the DF/ST scoring in that league in at least 3 years, below is the verbiage from MFL on how our league's DF/ST TD's are handled:

"This is the number of Defensive and Special Teams TDs scored. It includes Interception Return TDs, Opponent Fumble Recovery TDs, Blocked Punt TDs, Blocked FG TDs, Punt Return TDs, Kickoff Return TDs, and Missed FG Return TDs."

...you can choose the setting above under scoring for DF/ST, choose the "Number of Defensive & Special Teams TDs" option to define this particular rule.

Still, they must have changed something from last year. I may have to tweak our rules later if it doesn't eventually show up. In 4 leagues at MFL, and none of them are showing this as a TD yet. In all 4...last years Hester TD did count. We just carry the scoring rules forward from year to year. So their "verbiage" must have changed how you need to have your rules set up. :D